Starting under weird conditions...what to focus on and how to stay motivated ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by StateX, Aug 5, 2010.

1. StateX

StateX White Belt

Hey guys,

I

2. sfgrappler

sfgrappler White Belt

You'd be better off quitting that gym and finding someplace that focuses solely on ground fighting...if only for six months.

It is very hard to learn just one technique in a day, much less techniques for stand up, takedowns and the ground. Focus on one at a time. Get the basics in each. And then pursue which one you lie the most.

For example, I started out Kickboxing. Did that for a year and got to the point where I could hold my own. Then I learned how to double leg takedown. And I've spent the last nine years focused on my favorite...bjj.

I can brawl OK, and my takedowns are good against novices. But I really except at the ground.

Try them all, then pick one to master first.

3. GetBeasty

GetBeasty Orange Belt

When I began, I was only training about 1 hour a week, and with three guys who were absolutely dominating. Stick with it. Now I am still only getting about 2 or 3 hours (sometimes a bit more) a week, and I am leagues above two of the guys I began with. Still getting beaten by one, but you will progress if you stay the course. Do what you can, dont worry about the rest.

4. StateX

StateX White Belt

Hey guys,

thx for your answers. :)

@sfgrappler Well, thing is that it really is the only school in a 50km-radius that offers any groundfighting at all. I wish bjj/grappling was as big here in germany as it is overseas. So finding another school is not an option anyway unless i would wanna do Judo, but I really don

5. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

How is the instructor and is he close to your size? Does he roll with students?

Why is the class size so small? Have you considered what would happen if the only other person you can spar with in class gets hurt, quits, moves schools, or just takes a little bit of time off?

Any training is better than no training but I would seriously consider the Judo club. Find some students who like doing Newaza and set time aside to focus on that.

If you do wind up staying at that school, I'm sorry to say that it sounds like a less than favorable training situation. As far as workouts go, theres not much you can do other than follow what your instructors have planned for you. At home you can just watch as many instructionals as possible. You can see a ton online for free.

Good luck.

6. StateX

StateX White Belt

Hey platfox,

thx for your reply. Well...don

7. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

He had you go against two of the kids at the same time? I would probably look for any other place to train.

8. Cricket

Cricket White Belt

you signed a 1 year contract? ouch.