Starting to Box

Syst[eM]

White Belt
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I'd like to start boxing as both a hobby and an exercise. I'm already in pretty good physical shape (6'1'', 185 lbs). I was browsing around and saw a bunch of Everlast stuff that seemed to fit what I was looking for. I do know, however, that we have some boxing and MMA enthusiasts in here. I was curious if what I am considering is a good choice. I have two set-ups, but don't know how heavy my heavy bag should be.

Setup One:
Heavy Bag - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-leather-training-bags.html
I would use the 100 pounder (if that isn't too much?)
Bag Stand - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-heavybag-speedbag-stand.html - Just the stand
Speed Bag - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-speed-bags.html
I don't really know which size is best.
Gloves - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-semi-pro-bag-gloves.html
I think these are good enough quality?

Setup Two
http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-heavybag-speedbag-stand.html - The one that includes the bags
Comes with
* 60 lbs. Nevatear Heavybag
* Rubber Cable
* Speed Bag
* Speed Bag Platform
* Speed Bag Swivel
* Chain and Swivel
* Handwraps
* Bag Gloves
* Jump Rope
Although I'm not sure if 60 lbs is a good weight?


I'm also not quite sure about how handwraps should be worn.
And are handwraps always worn under gloves? Or just without gloves? Can you even box without gloves and just with handwraps?

Any help is much appreciated.
 
save the money and go to a boxing gym
 
Hand wraps should be worn with gloves. After years of punishment necessary to get good your hands will thank you. Protect your hands at all costs.

I don't agree. I have a bag at home. I use it for conditioning so when I get to the gym I can concentrate on skills and sparring.

You're the same size as me I would think a 100lb bag would be your best option. I wouldn't bother with a speed bag its not essential.
 
Thanks a lot, I'm leaning very much towards buying these and I was wondering how long they are supposed to last?

The gloves?
The Bag?
The stand?
 
Bag will last for couple of years or so but can always be refilled. Gloves last about 18mths for me but it all depends how much your train of course. The stand should last forever.
 
all that shit will cost you a small fortune, go to a gym and you can get a 2 year membership for all that cash your going to spend. put up maybe one big bag in your garage and get a skipping rope and that's it, all that equipment is great but if you dont know how to use it properly than its worthless.
 
yeah, take lessons to get your technique down. You'll never get it right watching videos and reading books. They help...but only if you're taking lessons as well. Once you start getting some lessons, you'll see what you need to buy for your house, if you go with the train at home route.
 
Thanks for all of the help, the things I listed should only cost about $500, which seems reasonable.
 
Syst[eM] said:
I'd like to start boxing as both a hobby and an exercise. I'm already in pretty good physical shape (6'1'', 185 lbs). I was browsing around and saw a bunch of Everlast stuff that seemed to fit what I was looking for. I do know, however, that we have some boxing and MMA enthusiasts in here. I was curious if what I am considering is a good choice. I have two set-ups, but don't know how heavy my heavy bag should be.

Setup One:
Heavy Bag - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-leather-training-bags.html
I would use the 100 pounder (if that isn't too much?)
Bag Stand - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-heavybag-speedbag-stand.html - Just the stand
Speed Bag - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-speed-bags.html
I don't really know which size is best.
Gloves - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-semi-pro-bag-gloves.html
I think these are good enough quality?

Setup Two
http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-heavybag-speedbag-stand.html - The one that includes the bags
Comes with
* 60 lbs. Nevatear Heavybag
* Rubber Cable
* Speed Bag
* Speed Bag Platform
* Speed Bag Swivel
* Chain and Swivel
* Handwraps
* Bag Gloves
* Jump Rope
Although I'm not sure if 60 lbs is a good weight?


I'm also not quite sure about how handwraps should be worn.
And are handwraps always worn under gloves? Or just without gloves? Can you even box without gloves and just with handwraps?

Any help is much appreciated.

I am thinking of making a dvd basic boxing instructional, it just depends if people like yourself are interested. I'm sure I could do a quality job.
 
Buy some good gloves and wraps. Then sign up at a boxing gym. You'll learn proper technique on the basics (prevent injuries) and get physically pushed in the workout. You'll get much more out of the experience.

If you want some additional conditioning work at home, buy Bas Rutten's workout tapes/CDs and shadow box with them.
 
oh, another thing on those stands. You might want to check on the speed bag swivel. Some of the cheaper stands only have the swivel that goes back and forth. You want the one that can spin around as well. As you get better with the speedbag, you want it to be able to swing from angles.
 
First off, congratulations on deciding to take up boxing!

Now, here's my recommendation:

1) Join a boxing gym and attend regularly for at least 6 months.

2) THEN think about putting up equipment in your own home.

Here's the thing: boxing is not about putting on gear and hitting a bag. Boxing is about technique. Yeah, speed and power and conditioning are part of the package, but the fundamental techniques are a must, and are your pathway to developing speed and power and conditioning.

Get your fundamentals down by finding a good gym with good trainers. Train as much as you can and follow their directions explicitly. At about the 6 month point, you will have enough ingrained in you that if you want to do some additional training on your own, you can do so without fear of developing bad habits or injuring yourself.

Even at that point, I would advise you not to abandon gym training completely. if you need to, you could save a few bucks by cutting down to a membership where you train in-gym 2x weekly and then on your own the rest of the time.
 
Syst[eM] said:
I'd like to start boxing as both a hobby and an exercise. I'm already in pretty good physical shape (6'1'', 185 lbs). I was browsing around and saw a bunch of Everlast stuff that seemed to fit what I was looking for. I do know, however, that we have some boxing and MMA enthusiasts in here. I was curious if what I am considering is a good choice. I have two set-ups, but don't know how heavy my heavy bag should be.

Setup One:
Heavy Bag - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-leather-training-bags.html
I would use the 100 pounder (if that isn't too much?)
Bag Stand - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-heavybag-speedbag-stand.html - Just the stand
Speed Bag - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-speed-bags.html
I don't really know which size is best.
Gloves - http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-semi-pro-bag-gloves.html
I think these are good enough quality?

Setup Two
http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-heavybag-speedbag-stand.html - The one that includes the bags
Comes with
* 60 lbs. Nevatear Heavybag
* Rubber Cable
* Speed Bag
* Speed Bag Platform
* Speed Bag Swivel
* Chain and Swivel
* Handwraps
* Bag Gloves
* Jump Rope
Although I'm not sure if 60 lbs is a good weight?


I'm also not quite sure about how handwraps should be worn.
And are handwraps always worn under gloves? Or just without gloves? Can you even box without gloves and just with handwraps?

Any help is much appreciated.

And I do like those stands, especially if you rent an apt and can't hang a heavybag from the ceiling. If you own your home, I'd buy the stuff seperate. That way you can get exactly what you want...when it comes time to build your boxing studio. But I rent, and I have to say, those stands are a decent investment.
 
Syst[eM] said:
Thanks for all of the help, the things I listed should only cost about $500, which seems reasonable.

Ok, but lets say boxing classes are $5 a lesson for 2hrs, $500=100 classes, if you go 3 times a week thats over 8 months of proper technique instruction + the all important sparring, that > all the equipment you listed. BTW i've got all the equipment you listed + more and i never use it, the only thing i use is the heavy bag for conditioning and a mirror sometimes, i prefer to go to the gym hit the pads and spar.

EDIT: On the other hand if you can afford all the equipment + classes go for it.
 
Reakt said:
save the money and go to a boxing gym


definatly. dont bother buying all that...what if you dont like boxing after a while? all that money wasted
 
Boxing gyms can be pretty expensive too, one of them that I looked into charged 200 a month. Some people don't like working out in crowded gyms for good reasons, you have to wait for stuff and people interrupting your workouts, few hundred bucks is well worth the ability to train when where and how you like.
 
mozfonky said:
Boxing gyms can be pretty expensive too, one of them that I looked into charged 200 a month. Some people don't like working out in crowded gyms for good reasons, you have to wait for stuff and people interrupting your workouts, few hundred bucks is well worth the ability to train when where and how you like.

lol i pay 30 bucks a month for the same thing.

just remember:


There is no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard. There is only another fist.
 
Back
Top