Starting strength problem

Torak

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ive been doing starting strength for 2 months and I have 2 problems:
1. My benchpress is starting to plateu, what should I do?
2. Saturday I train, but its the day after my boxing training, so my shoulders are really fatigued and if I do heavy benchpress like Im supposed to in starting strength, my shoulder will hurt for 1-2 days.
What can I do instead of heavy benchpress then?
3. Can I do rotator cuff exercises at home 2 times a week instead of doing it in the gym?

1. Deload
2. Anything besides heavy bench. Dumbbell rows might be a good choice if you still want upper body work.
3. Sure, why not?

Also, shoulder pain from bench is often indicative of a form issue. I recommend posting a form check video here.

1. First, make sure your form is solid. I would recommend the So You Think You Can Bench series on YouTube.

Then try benching more frequently. It made a world of difference for me when I switched from 1 or 2 times/week to 3 times/week.

3. Can I do rotator cuff exercises at home 2 times a week instead of doing it in the gym?

It depends what your objective is.

If you want to strengthen your rotator cuffs, do the exercises whenever you feel like it. But that does mean you should be doing them progressively- over time increasing the overall workload, either through increased volume, or increased intensity (e.g. more bands or thicker bands).

If you want to warm up your rotator cuffs in preparation for pressing exercises, then obviously you should be doing the exercises at the gym. Before you press. Duh.

As for the other stuff, I don't really know anything about strength training.

Back