Starting Strength coaches roundtable. Rippetoe, Wendler, Suggs, Sheafer

Thanks man, I love listening to stuff like this.

Gotta love Wendler; he looks like a Hells Angel who's just escaped from a Max Security prison!:eek::icon_chee

"They're trying to ram-rod me right away...no lube!"

"You're either Raw or you're not...it's not like, 'just put the tip in'! It's full sex or nothing!"

Last edited:
One of the videos has the "nutritional consultant (think that's his title)", the guy sitting in the leftmost chair. He says a trainee needs at least 3 pounds per inch to be able to use their body lever's properly (or something similar). Obviously endurance athletes would err to a lighter weight, but what about the general strength trainee or those competing in weight classes? Because if thats accurate then I'm supposed to be ~200 lbs, which seems heavy for someone who is 5'7".

Thanks

One of the videos has the "nutritional consultant (think that's his title)", the guy sitting in the leftmost chair. He says a trainee needs at least 3 pounds per inch to be able to use their body lever's properly (or something similar). Obviously endurance athletes would err to a lighter weight, but what about the general strength trainee or those competing in weight classes? Because if thats accurate then I'm supposed to be ~200 lbs, which seems heavy for someone who is 5'7".

Thanks

You have to think about to what end are you gaining strength? As in long term goals. They're talking about having the highest possible total, to hell with the consequences to other physical abilities or general health.

You can still get incredibly strong without having to take things to that end, especially relative to other people in a particular weight class. Not too long ago, one of the lifters at the gym I go to, who's about your hight, or maybe a little taller squatted just shy of 300kg at around 82.5kg. He's probably going to move up to the 90kg weight class eventually, and likely sooner, rather than later. But the point is, most people aren't at the point where they need to gain that kind of weight to get stronger.

Thanks

Well one of the first things the guy said is that it's not written in stone and there will always be exceptions. I think what he was getting at was a "rough" estimate type of thing. You would be roughly Rip's size at 5'7 200lbs, and as Wendler stated about the "taxes" you have to pay in life, one of them is an un healthy weight. Look at Wendler himself, he's down to 240lbs on doc's orders, He use to compete at 270 if I recall correctly. That's one of the things you'll have to consider. As a general strength student of strength training I would simply strive for a "healthy" weight. The problem is that there's no consensus on what that is...though we know it's not the BMI. Actually, instead of looking at weight numbers, look at body fat %, if you're less that 15 I think you'll be just fine.

Actually, instead of looking at weight numbers, look at body fat %, if you're less that 15 I think you'll be just fine.

Rather than bodyfat percentage, I'd look to cardiovascular indicators and blood work. See a doctor regularly, and have blood tests done. If your resting heart rate, blood pressure, HDL, LDL, and lipid profile are all healthy, then you shouldn't concern yourself with your weight. On the other hand, if there are issues, then you have to ask yourself, is it worth it?

I wasn't really interested in the "health" aspect per say, I'm not going to push my weight up into the ceiling just to reap the poundage benefits. I've seen many of these estimates about ideal weight, most were crap. The concept of levers was what I found interesting, I know very little about so if anyone would like to explain I'd be grateful.

I think at my height a good weight would be about 85kg at ~10% BF (or even lower). Which is what I'm aiming for.

Those were awesome to watch. Thanks for posting.

By the way, anyone have more information or links to the PVC pipe thing Wendler mentioned?

Well one of the first things the guy said is that it's not written in stone and there will always be exceptions. I think what he was getting at was a "rough" estimate type of thing. You would be roughly Rip's size at 5'7 200lbs, and as Wendler stated about the "taxes" you have to pay in life, one of them is an un healthy weight. Look at Wendler himself, he's down to 240lbs on doc's orders, He use to compete at 270 if I recall correctly. That's one of the things you'll have to consider. As a general strength student of strength training I would simply strive for a "healthy" weight. The problem is that there's no consensus on what that is...though we know it's not the BMI. Actually, instead of looking at weight numbers, look at body fat %, if you're less that 15 I think you'll be just fine.

I think he was even heavier when competing. In the introduction to 5/3/1 he states that he was unhealthy and burned out after years of Powerlifting. And while he was capable of Squatting 1,000lbs, he did not consider himself to be really strong since, "All I could use that strength for was waddling up to the Monolift and Squatting, Benching and Deadlifting. I could'nt do anything else."

Wendler also talks about watching a woman using walking as an exercise while he was in Collage. He says that he could'nt understand why the only exercise this woman could do was walking down the street and that if he ever got that unfit, it "might be time to clean out my ears with a gun." Ironically, walking everywhere and cutting back on his food was what allowed Wendler to drop down to his present weight. Of course, he also lost a lot of strength and it was his quest to regain it that lead to the development of 5/3/1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back