starting strength/cardio and endurance

goldenboi

White Belt
Reaction score
I started the starting strength program at the start of May and I've seen some great gains in all of my lifts, slowing down a little bit now but probably just need to eat more. One thing i did notice though is that my cardio/endurance is now horrible. I played soccer for about 5 minutes and felt exhausted, swam across a river (about 40 feet) and was worried I was gonna pass out. I was wondering if anyone w/ starting strength experience has any tips for cardio to add into the program. Off days when I'm not in the gym or maybe have one day a week doing higher rep workouts? Thanks in advance

If you are worried about cardio, it isn't going to be effective to have one workout a week with high reps. You probably need to focus on cardiovascular endurance more than muscular endurance. Throw in some running, biking, etc. preferably on days you aren't lifting. If your main goal is still strength, keep the cardio light. LSD is probably your best option. Like, a couple of miles at a slow/moderate pace. If you want to do more, read the conditioning FAQ.

If you are worried about cardio, it isn't going to be effective to have one workout a week with high reps. You probably need to focus on cardiovascular endurance more than muscular endurance. Throw in some running, biking, etc. preferably on days you aren't lifting. If your main goal is still strength, keep the cardio light. LSD is probably your best option. Like, a couple of miles at a slow/moderate pace. If you want to do more, read the conditioning FAQ.

I don't really like the bolded part. I think, for someone training strength, LSD is not the best option, but more counter productive.

Sprint for cardio. Sprinting is more equivalent to lifting heavily, typically working more of the same types of muscles, where Long Slow Distance would build a slower muscle type.

I don't really like the bolded part. I think, for someone training strength, LSD is not the best option, but more counter productive.

Sprint for cardio. Sprinting is more equivalent to lifting heavily, typically working more of the same types of muscles, where Long Slow Distance would build a slower muscle type.

I don't know, if the TS would state his goals a bit more explicitly it might help. The thing is, actual sprints (ie 10-20 seconds) rely mostly on anaerobic systems. So doing only sprints would not develop the aerobic system very well. If the TS is concerned about getting tired playing soccer or swimming or whatever, I think LSD would be a better option. If he wants to get a bit of conditioning while not affecting his lifting very much, sprinting might be a better option. Maybe a mixture of the two would be best. Something like twice a week, one workout being sprinting, one being LSD.

Right now my main priority is building functional strength, as well as putting on some size. At the same time, I don't want to lose the cardio I had, because since I started the program, there has definitely been a drop in my cardio/muscular endurance.

Starting Strength doesn't leave much room for cardio training, with its three days of linear progression squating. Rippetoe even says somewhere that it is a program for people who are going to use strength training as their main athletic training activity, or something like that. If you want to put more emphasis on cardio you might want to try something like WS4SB.

Last edited:
Right now my main priority is building functional strength, as well as putting on some size. At the same time, I don't want to lose the cardio I had, because since I started the program, there has definitely been a drop in my cardio/muscular endurance.

Are you training for a particular sport, or just trying to not be completely out of shape?

I'm not training for any sport, I just want to be as fit/healthy as I can be. I'm 6 feet tall, 175ish pounds (don't entirely trust the scale I use), and I've always been pretty lean with not too much fat on me. My lifts are:
squat - 225 (3x5)
bench - 170 (3x5)
deadlift - 295 (1x5)
shoulder press - 120 (3x5)
rows - 165 (3x5)
When I started in May I was lifting a lot less so the programs been working for sure. FAQ:The Program - Starting Strength Wiki This is where I got the program from, and I know I dont have power cleans but its because I basically have no idea how to do them and it says on there you can replace them with bentover rows.

I'm not training for any sport, I just want to be as fit/healthy as I can be. I'm 6 feet tall, 175ish pounds (don't entirely trust the scale I use), and I've always been pretty lean with not too much fat on me. My lifts are:
squat - 225 (3x5)
bench - 170 (3x5)
deadlift - 295 (1x5)
shoulder press - 120 (3x5)
rows - 165 (3x5)
When I started in May I was lifting a lot less so the programs been working for sure. FAQ:The Program - Starting Strength Wiki This is where I got the program from, and I know I dont have power cleans but its because I basically have no idea how to do them and it says on there you can replace them with bentover rows.

Maybe something like an 800m run would be good for you, because it wouldn't burn a bunch of valuable calories like LSD but it would still give you some aerobic work. I haven't thought about it a whole lot but it seems like a good idea. Maybe an 800m run as fast as you can run it, once or twice a week.

Get on the elliptical/treadmill for 20-30 min post workout, add a minute/up the resistance each workout. Adjust calories as needed, it's really that simple.

Run , Run, Run , if you're a beginner. Don't do LSD , run on a normal speed or do sprints and hill running. Stair climbing and stuff. Squats and split lunges are very good for your legs. Buy a medicine ball !

I have dramatically improved my cardio but just mixing in HIIT and sustained high intensity.

Mon - Full body lift session (sqauts, deads, overhead, curls, bench, rows, calf raises) :icon_twis

Tues - I run 3min bursts at 8.5mph 4 times with 3-5min walking rests inbetween. By the end I will have logged in around 2.5 miles in about 20mins.

Wed - I run as long as I can at 6.8mph, and force myself to go at least 18min but try for 25min.

Thurs - Abs day

Fri - 1min all out sprints on the Elliptical with 1min rest for about 15min.

Sat - Speedrope sprints

Sun- recover

i was in the same situation about 18months ago....

i switched to 5/3/1, 4 days and added in tabata sprints....did the trick for me

if you do decide to switch to 5/3/1, a piece of advice i would offer is to NOT start with the reccomended % of your 1rm, use something closer to your actual 1rm so you keep your gains from SS.

Back