starting outy with chains

seamus1979

Green Belt
Reaction score
so finally im gonna invest in some chains to use at my gym for christmas
2 x 2 metre 45lb chains
2 x 1 metre 25lb chains
collars
i tried a search but couldnt find anything concrete about the best start with chains
my deadlift and squat are at 500lb plus mark at the moment
im running a 5,3,1 routine at the moment
so would it be best to say start with just the bar and the 45lb chains and then add weight as i go?
any tips would be appreciated
cheers

To set up the chains you'll need a five foot 1/4 inch chain to act as the support chain. This chain is suspended from the bar sleeves. A metal ring will be suspended in the 1/4 inch support chain. Then the training chains (five feet long, either 5/8" or 1/2" thickness) will pass through the metal rings so one half of the chain falls on each side of the ring. You'll set the support chain so three links on each side of the training chain are on the floor at the top of the lift. When you sit down on the box most of the training chain will be on the floor. You have to keep a certain amount of the chain on the bar to avoid the chains swaying back and forth throughout the movement. The recomendated amount of training chain weights for the dynamic squat day is listed below.

Max Squat Chains per side Weight of chain (top)
200-400 ...... 1 (5/8) ...... .... ...... 40
400-500 ...... 1 (5/8), 1(1/2) ...... . 60
500-600 ...... 2 (5/8) ...... .... ...... 80
700-800 ...... 2 (5/8), 1(1/2) ....... 100
800-900 ...... 3 (5/8) ...... .... ...... 120

Note: When squatting with chains it's also important to use them throughout all the warm-up sets.

So, if your maximum squat is, say, 500, you'll need to load 2 of the 5/8" chains on each side.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...training_performance/accommodating_resistance

Last edited:
so should you not use chains in a 5,3,1, routine?
from what im getting from the article chains are mainly used for speed box squats?
thanks for the info

From the source:

"5/3/1 Manual by Jim Wendler

Question: Why don’t you recommend the use of chains and/or bands?

Answer: Accommodating resistances are a good idea on paper, but the practice has been popularized by strong individuals who all use equipment. The popularity of chains and bands has spread throughout the powerlifting world, and lifters have had great success with them. I’ve seen LOTS of athletes and regular lifters **** the bed with them, though, and this is for one main reason:

The strength curve for athletes/regular guys is heavy at the bottom and light at the top, so they need more low end work. The strength curve for geared lifters is light at the bottom and heavy at the top, so more high end work is needed.
Using chains/bands on a raw lifter will lower the use of bar weight and THUS lower the amount of weight that’s used at the bottom of a lift. Hence, the strength curve is all screwed up and not always suited for a raw lifter."

thanks
so i guess im cancelling that order then
some fat gripz and a new set of knee sleeves instead

I think the most important thing When starting using chains, is that you decide on a safe word

Back