starting out

rallyxs81

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been working out for a few weeks now but im looking to improve my physique and get into MMA and i need your help. I'm about 6'5" 245lbs and im looking to get down to about 225 wiht a good physique. Right now my diet includes eggs and oatmeal or cereal for breakfast. Ham or turkey sandwiches for lunch. And alot of fresh fish or lean chicken or some pork. Everyonce and a while i will have red meat. And I take creatine before i workout now. What do i need add or takeaway or do to improve my diet or workout or whatever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Heres a pic of me now.

100_1592.jpg

I like the lotion next to the computer.

But, seriously, since you didn't say it you did...I'm gonna assume you haven't read the S&P FAQ. I would recommend reading that a few times and then choosing one of the routines listed there.

If you do that and slowly cut the shit out of your diet...you should be fine and miles ahead of most people you see in the gym.

I would recommend checking out the D&S forum as well. Being a part of that community changed my life for the better. Make sure to read the FAQ there as well.

I also like the lotion next to the computer :D.

BTW the lotion on the desk is my 18 month old daughter's.

You look like zerocrew.
What you should do is every time you're about to eat something processed (boxed, canned, containing something that you don't know what it is) put it away and eat some fruit or vegetables.

I was just fucking with you. The strategic location of the lotion seemed too coincidental.

Even minor changes in your diet will have a dramatic impact int he beginning stages, so don't think the small things are too insignificant to change. My friend, who was fairly overweight, has dramatically changed his body composition and gotten significantly stronger since training with me the last few months. And this was achieved with little to no change in his diet.

Now, obviously weight loss was not his primary goal...or he would have changed his diet. But what I'm trying to say is that weight training alone is a powerful weight loss tool...and combining it with a good diet is even better.

Yea i know u were fucking with me. I've cut out alot of shit in my diet. I only drink water now and quit eating alot of sweet stuff. I try to eat alot of protien to build muscle. I know its not the best thing to try to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. I don't care too much about weight but more about body fat. I really wanna do this MMA thing so i wanna get down to a weight where i can cut to 205 if it is possible. Plus there are no real mma gyms within like an hour of where i live so i have to do it on my own.

Eat better, move more

Yea i know u were fucking with me. I've cut out alot of shit in my diet. I only drink water now and quit eating alot of sweet stuff. I try to eat alot of protien to build muscle. I know its not the best thing to try to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. I don't care too much about weight but more about body fat. I really wanna do this MMA thing so i wanna get down to a weight where i can cut to 205 if it is possible. Plus there are no real mma gyms within like an hour of where i live so i have to do it on my own.

Have you looked for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo, Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai boxing gyms? How are you going to train for MMA alone?

It be a good idea to get proficient in a grappling art and a form of standup before you dive into MMA. That's what I would recommend anyway.

Where do you live?

I live in Covington, GA its about 40 miles east of Atlanta. Yeah i know i need stand-up and grappling training. I Took a couple of BJJ classes but it was and hour away and jus cost too much driving. I wanna do it but i know that i need training. im not trying to jump right in fight off the rip. maybe 6,8 months or even a year later when my weight is down and i have better conditioning.

I say drop the creatine for now. If you're just starting out and looking to LOSE weight it'll kind of distort your results. Save it for later once you've been working out a little while to bust thru a plateau.

Something else that might help people give you suggestions: what do your workouts look like?

If your main goal is weight loss, then that's up to your diet. If you want to be good at fighting, then train to fight. If you want to get strong, then check out the FAQ and build a simple, yet effective routine.

Don't spend too much time fretting about your routine, just go in there and get shit done. There's no better way to learn.

Oh, and nice lotion.

Monday- upperbody weights, abs
tuesday-run, shawdowboxing, cardio stuff
wednesday- lower body weights, abs
thursday-run, shawboxing, cardio stuff
friday-upperbody weights, abs
sat-sun-off

How old are you?

I am sure that I am in the minority opinion on this one, but I believe that when you are young, are active and are looking to get stronger/bigger, etc. then all calories are your friend--the whole idea of a young guy on his way up eating a pristine diet is highly over-rated--now if you are living on snickers and ho-hos all the time, that might be an issue, but dont believe that you have to eat like a pre-contest bb all the time--if you ever have a chance to get around elite bodybuilders, etc, you would be SHOCKED at what they eat in the off (mass building) season, I know they really go ultra pristine for a contest, but that is to achieve a certain look for a very short period of time. When I was in my teens and 20's, I ate everything, good food, bad food, you name it. The pizza delivery boys used to get their mail at my house.

You are a pretty solid looking guy, with a decent frame, I say focus on strength ( not necessarily to be a powerlifter) but plan on squatting 10 reps with whatever you can triple at the moment by labor day, do overhead presses, deadlifts, barbell rows, variety of reps, keep a good lifting log, train with guys stronger than you and VOW to pass them and when you do, find a new gym or stronger guys to train with. Drink plenty of water and get enough sleep.

Keith

Im 26. i cut out soda's and stuff. I don't eat stuff thats like sawdust and drywall but i try to eat healthier. I do have the occasional sweet but im human. I don't want to be super ripped but i want a body and the conditioning that is fit for MMA

As far as diet, what 90% of all amateur athletes don't do, even though they claim they've got willpower, is cut out the following completely from their diet:

1) Desert

2) Fast Food

3) Salty Snacks

4) Booze and Beer

5) Candy

6) Processed, Bleached Carbs

7) Microwave Meals and Snacks

If you completely eliminate those 7 items (which is really, really tough to do for more than a couple of weeks at a time) then your physique will improve dramatically with pretty much any sensible exercise program.

Trouble is, people start having cheat days, cheat meals and cheat snacks to reward themselves for however many meals/days they stuck with complete junk food avoidance and, just like smoking, they slowly creep back into their old habit and the cheat meals and snacks become more common and the results from the diet greatly diminish.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Watch the Bench Monster movie online in streaming video at Hardcore Powerlifting

Sean,

By the way, Good to see you posting. I appreciate the work you do!

Keith

Pictures of shirtless men, this is no good. Nice lotion. Are you related to Jamie Varner?

41428.jpg

Back