Starting my BJJ training next week

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Ballzilla, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Hello all! This is more of an introduction really. I don't feel the need to come in and ask a bunch of questions that I'm sure have been asked a million times as I have been lurking here for a while. Any way I'm going to begin training in BJJ sometime next week. The gym I will be attending is currently helping their guys get ready for the Pan Ams so it's all no-gi for the month of September. Not sure what help I can be but I did wrestle a lot from the ages of 8-20 so maybe I can just hope to keep my fat, out of shape ass in something resembling a dominant position. Either way I'm excited to train. I need to drop this weight I've put on in the past 2 years and I hate going to the gym as it's boring as fuck. That's why I have decided to pick up BJJ. It looks challenging to say the least and it appears as though it's a great way to get my fat, man-tittied ass in shape.

2. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

It wasn't all BJJ, but I've lost 46 pounds (on average it fluctuates) since late april, early may.

You can do it, just stick with it and have FUN.

3. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Good luck! It is a great way to drop weight for sure.

4. hafir123

hafir123 White Belt

lost six pounds the first week of jitz. its a great time but my body took some time getting used to the sport. word of advice> forget what you call "dominant position" for now and get comfortable on your back.

5. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Get comfortable on my back......got it.

6. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/noobs-game-1292853/

^This.

I've been doing no gi inconstantly for almost a year now. Been at a great academy for a little over a month. Keep your arms in tight, don't spazz, use your posture and come in ready to learn and be dominated. Have fun!

7. Omgplata

Omgplata White Belt

and don't crank subs :rolleyes:

was rolling with a new guy yesterday and he ended up cranking the hell out of my shoulder. still sore today.

sometimes people forget the other guys are your training partners, not an opponent.

8. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

I don't think I will have much of a chance ot put a gi on until October. Instruction there is for both gi and no gi with more emphasis placed on gi training. I think no-gi is trained and taught twice a week witht he remainder being gi and some open mat time. I've dropped 21 lbs since I began m weight loss venture and have been doing massive amounts of cardio so my breathing is controlled fairly well for a fat guy even if I do say so myself.

What's a spaz?

9. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

A spaz can be a person...or a verb I guess.

It's when you just start to freak out when you're stuck in a position. Newer people tend to spaz from what I've heard. I make a big attempt not to.

A few reasons you don't want to

1. It looks stupid
    2. hardly ever works on someone good enough to lock you up int he first place
    3. there's no technique in it
    4. you're wasting precious air and energy and accomplishing nothing.

It's chess with limbs, a thinking man's game.

You don't just move pieces in chess because the other guy has a leg up on you, you play defensively, make sure your king is safe and then retake control of the board...one move at a time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

I'm ready to get jacked up a bit. Failure is always a road traveled to success.

11. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

Start stretching every day. Arms and legs - static and dynamic stretching. Yoga is good for stretching.

I'm 6' - 304ish pounds and I can butterfly the whole way down with my heels almost touching my cup. That's from doing that stretch literally every morning after waking and every night before bed.

The down dog stretch is a good one, seated spinal twist.

Toe touches etc never hurt either. More flexibility and range of motion is never a bad thing.

Will make the initial failures easier to bare ;)

12. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

I'm 5'8" sitting at 236 right now. I'm trying to get myself back down to 205 lbs. That's a comfortable weight for me.

Any tips on links on the stretching exercises would be greatly appreciated.