Starting glute ham raises

Switch

White Belt
Reaction score
Tried it. Sucked at it. :redface:

What's the best way into get into it? Negatives till you make it?

I did it with ankles in the ab plank things if that makes any difference.

Hook up bands to assist you and gradually reduce the band tension over time.

I don't know what an ab plank thing is, but even on a proper ghr set up making sure you have everything adjusted properly can make a huge difference--one setting off and I was just giving myself calf cramps rather than banging out reps.

Its hard, keep doing negatives. I just lock my ankes under something, like the cross brace on a machine, and put a thick foam pad under my knees.

I used one of these but without the plate where her arse is. How important is it to have the shin parallel to the ground? I've got another machine in mind that'll let me do that.

sit-ups_crunch.jpg

I've asked people experienced with GHR and in fact doing weighted GHR, they said negatives work to a certain extent. After a while being able to do the whole movement with resistance bands holding you back is more beneficial because the muscles involved are experiencing the whole movement. They also said greasing the groove through out their workout like doing like one or two GHR before starting a complete set to rep workout with them helped.

Just my 2 cents.

You really need a proper GHR. This includes the foot plate to drive your toes into.

Lose weight.

Kidding, just keep doing it, it's an exercise that everyone sucks at, at first, but gets good at very quickly. Your body just isn't used to it, it'll adapt very quickly though.

Tuck your chin, squeeze your glutes, catch yourself when you fall. You'll get better over time.

Back