Starting BJJ

Face Punch

Punch Face
@purple
Reaction score
I'm looking to join a school to begin training, but the closest one in my area is Gracie Barra in Franklin, TN. I don't plan on competing, just would like to learn traditional, self-defense based JJ. Would this be my best option, or should I look somewhere else?

Last edited:
I'm looking to join a school to begin training, but the closest one in my area is Gracie Baja in Franklin, TN. I don't plan on competing, just would like to learn traditional, self-defense based JJ. Would this be my best option, or should I look somewhere else?

Do you mean Gracie Barra? If so, most Gracie Barra schools I know of are more sport orientated. BJJ has inbuilt self defense mechanisms even if you take the sport route but yeah...maybe something like Gracie Humaita?

Can't tell if serious. If serious, pls don't follow this advice. Rener and Ryron have some great videos up on this channel (I have a trial account and every segment I've watched was detailed) but you really need to roll in order to progress...regardless if its to compete or to learn self defense.

If you want more info about why this is the case, go search up Matt Thorton's "liveliness" article which will explain why sparring is so important.

Do you mean Gracie Barra? If so, most Gracie Barra schools I know of are more sport orientated. BJJ has inbuilt self defense mechanisms even if you take the sport route but yeah...maybe something like Gracie Humaita?

Yes that's it. I've sat in on a few classes and noticed the instructor is almost always the same purple belt. I just want to make sure I'm getting quality training for my $100+ monthly, but the quantity off schools in my area is limited. Definitely don't want to try online classes for any type of sport or art.

Yes that's it. I've sat in on a few classes and noticed the instructor is almost always the same purple belt. I just want to make sure I'm getting quality training for my $100+ monthly, but the quantity off schools in my area is limited. Definitely don't want to try online classes for any type of sport or art.

Did you ask the instructor if they teach self defence?

Gracie Barra is a legit team, but like others have said often there is a sport focus. If that seems like the best gym in your area you should go there. Im sure there will be people that train there, that are interested in self defence that you could do extra curricular training with.

Gracie Barra is legit (one of the top schools in terms of how many medals they have at important tournaments) but $100+ monthly seems expensive for a purple belt. Even in places like Sydney (where MMA gyms cost $150+ all the time), $140 usually gets you instruction with a black belt.

Yeah, if its $100 a month, it should be from a black belt. But, if that guy is the only one within a big radius of travel time, he has the market cornered. Are you near Nashville? There are several really good MMA schools there, and they all offer pure BJJ classes, not just MMA. I think Nashville MMA or something is one.

But if the choice is A) Train BJJ or B) Don't train BJJ.....fork over that $100 asap and sign up! Ask some more experienced guys if they can help you with the basics too. I've never trained anywhere that wasn't full of guys willing to help new members if asked.

Back