Starting BJJ

some very solid advice. thanks to everyone who's contributed. for the people asking why i'm soliciting advice: i was planning on doing it anyway; i wasn't waiting for anyone to talk me into it, i just wanted to have an idea of what i'd be getting myself into and how to avoid from making a fool out of myself.

My only advice would be to keep in mind that BJJ has such a higher turnover of new people. And because of it the older practitioners will not likely be overly friendly. I don't mean to say they will not be cordial and polite, but that they may seem distant. You'll get to know the others better in time if you stick with it. Then when they see you won't leave they will bother to learn your name.

well, the place i'm going to opened pretty recently, so i imagine most of the people going are new (if not to bjj, then to that place at least).

i'll be starting today, going in this evening.

it probably will be. we were doing some stretches, and the split was one i had absolutely no success with. the rest were fine though. if i was ever in a bjj match, i'd have to avoid the banana split like the plague; it'd get me in no time.

Just do dynamic stretches and static stretches. Also a splits progression works well.

my groin actually felt fine this morning. the only part i was really sore from was my ligaments behind me knees.

Back