Starting BJJ

Bolshevik***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hey guys. a bjj place opened up about 2 blocks away from where i live. i was thinking about going there for the past few months, but i've never gotten around to it. any advice for a relative novice?

Go in ... train. If you like it, stay with it because you will have alot of up and downs when it comes to learning bjj.

Oh and just because you watch "UFC" doesnt mean shit

i'm pretty sure i won't even mention that. i don't want them to think i'm one of "those guys".

Just do it. I just started 2 months ago and I'm loving it.

i didn't join before because i was going to school full time and i had a family. my wife left though, so now i have more time on my hands.

Just go in with an open mind and have fun. Don't be afraid to ask question! It's going to be a long road ahead.

Yeah go in, train. If you like it then sign up. Don't have an ego, expect people to be more experienced than you, but don't let it frustrate/discourage you. Everyone has to put in the time if they want to be good. If you have questions, ask after you're done rolling (this doesn't apply to drilling). Never ask a higher belt to roll. If you're rolling and you start to get close to a higher belt then YOU must move and reset somewhere else. Always shake any black belts hands that are on the mats. Make sure you have footwear ON when you step OFF the mat. Be kind, courteous and thank everyone after rolling. You'll do great.

Oh yeah, welcome to Jiu-Jitsu :)

thanks for the tips. i wasn't aware of most of the stuff you said. now i'll be prepared as far as some of the etiquette is concerned.

Yeah go in, train. If you like it then sign up. Don't have an ego, expect people to be more experienced than you, but don't let it frustrate/discourage you. Everyone has to put in the time if they want to be good. If you have questions, ask after you're done rolling (this doesn't apply to drilling). Never ask a higher belt to roll. If you're rolling and you start to get close to a higher belt then YOU must move and reset somewhere else. Always shake any black belts hands that are on the mats. Make sure you have footwear ON when you step OFF the mat. Be kind, courteous and thank everyone after rolling. You'll do great.

Oh yeah, welcome to Jiu-Jitsu :)

Why never ask higher belt to roll?

Some schools consider it disrespectful. I never get offended and ask higher ranks to roll lol the time.

Just depends on the school.

Why never ask higher belt to roll?

My first instructor was a black belt under Fabio Santos, who is pretty old school. Asking a higher belt to roll used to and still can be considered disrespectful unless you're pretty cool with that person. Most higher belts probably won't care, but it never hurts to be careful and wait until they ask you.

sounds like playing chess when you visit a new club. normally you don't ask people for a game, you wait for someone to ask you.

where's the best place to get a gi (good quality and good price)?

My first instructor was a black belt under Fabio Santos, who is pretty old school. Asking a higher belt to roll used to and still can be considered disrespectful unless you're pretty cool with that person. Most higher belts probably won't care, but it never hurts to be careful and wait until they ask you.

I agree, but I think it's only disrespectful to ask a higher belt to roll IF he isn't rolling. If he's already on the mat rolling ask him.

I agree, but I think it's only disrespectful to ask a higher belt to roll IF he isn't rolling. If he's already on the mat rolling ask him.

Fair enough. Most of the time it's not really an issue anyway, my academy is pretty good at matching everyone with everybody.

sounds like playing chess when you visit a new club. normally you don't ask people for a game, you wait for someone to ask you.

where's the best place to get a gi (good quality and good price)?

budovideos.com probably has one of the largest selections for gis, but they can be pricey.

bjjhq.com has some pretty good daily deals with some good quality kimonos. Although sometimes you have to be patient and keep checking back for the deals to update if you don't want what they are currently offering.

fightersmarket.com is another good one.

basically anything under $100 is a good price?

around $100 would probably be more realistic. Sometimes you can get Fuji gis (which are excellent gis to start with btw) for < $100 but generally you're looking at $120 or so.

around $100 would probably be more realistic. Sometimes you can get Fuji gis (which are excellent gis to start with btw) for < $100 but generally you're looking at $120 or so.

somewhat pricey, but not a deal breaker. obviously i won't buy one until after i decide if i'm going to commit for a long time. i think the place near me offers a free class on your first time, so i'll take advantage of that.

Back