Starting BJJ after 40

I started 2 weeks ago with no experience and the mobility of a plank of wood.

Would love to hear from people who could reccomend some starting books or podcasts or videos!! Anything.

First thing - avoid specialty videos at this point. A series on spider guard might be amazing, but you are more interested in learning how everything fits together - concepts. For example, Ryan Hall's Triangle series is amazing, but you aren't ready for it yet

I'd suggest

Grapplearts - I really like the "Core Concepts of BJJ" App

Roy Dean - Blue Belt Fundamentals

Nic Gregoriades and Kit Dale - Beyond Technique

No, not after drinking a 40. After reaching 40 years of age.

I know there are tons of older guys that train, but the ones I've met have been training for years and their technique is good enough that they don't have to rely on brute strength, speed, intensity, etc.

My question is how would it be for an old guy to be a beginner? Knowing that I'd make all the beginner mistakes, and also get twisted up and dominated by higher belts, not know how to escape and try to force escapes through flailing/scrambling.

My main concern is injury. I have a history of being easily injured. Not sure if it's genetic or what. I also have a small frame and would probably be one of the smallest in the gym, not in terms of height but in thickness.

All these signs are telling me it's a bad idea, but when I did take BJJ classes for a couple months in my youth I really enjoyed it before getting injured. Starting to think that if I'm careful this time around, maybe I can still do it.

Do you guys see a lot of older guys walking in off the street to put on the white belt?
Started at 39, now 45.

Great advice from a lot of these guys so I won't repeat it all. I have two points for you.

1) don't underestimate your old man strength
2) listen to what your body is telling you. It's hard, but you've got to give your body a chance to heal. I've experienced too many reinjuries when I've returned to training too quickly.

Thanks for the good advice. I do have question though.

It seems like common sense to not roll with assholes, but how does it work in reality?

The few BJJ classes that I've witnessed had the instructor pairing guys up to roll, even telling them when to switch partners. Would I then say, "sorry, coach, I'm not rolling with this guy."

That feels a little disrespectful to the instructor and also might start a confrontation with the guy you won't roll with. Not that I need to avoid confrontation at all cost, but it's probably not great for the new guy to come off as a difficult student or someone who doesn't get along with the other bros.

If I don't want to roll with someone or the instructor tells me to roll with someone I don't want to roll with I say, "Sorry, I need to sit this round out and rest." You are older and can't keep up with the kids. It is fine.

I'm a lifetime martial arts guy but only started BJJ 10 years ago or so. I'm a 42 year old brown belt now and an assistant instructor. I think someone without as many miles on them should be able to start BJJ at 40 with no problem. Yes, the other white belts will have an advantage over you in most every way. Life is short. If you want to learn BJJ just do it. Enjoy the process.

I started at 41 and will be 53 very soon. Received my brown belt last year, I don't feel older although I am sure my body has slowed down. If you enjoy it who cares what your age is. My goal is to get my black belt by 60.

Started at 40, now 45, and just got my purple belt a few months ago. Train at least 3 times a week, sometimes up to 6-7 times a week when my work schedule allows, also have been powerlifting my entire life (which now unfortunately means BJJ and lifting on the same day, always BJJ first though). Used to do standup/striking arts all through my teens and 20's, glad I no longer have to get punched and kicked in the head. Really don't notice much of a difference in raw speed, strength or stamina, though my explosiveness definitely drops off a lot more after the 3rd or 4th burst than it used to, and I notice my reaction time sometimes is not what it once was (hard to describe, but basically a few extra milliseconds from the time my brain says to counter something my opponent is doing and when my body actually counters it). 40's is not old at all, don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you want to do.

My main concern is injury. I have a history of being easily injured. Not sure if it's genetic or what. I also have a small frame and would probably be one of the smallest in the gym, not in terms of height but in thickness.

If you have a history of being easily injured, you will inevitably get injured.

You cannot apply the experience of other people of the same age as you, as they might have better genetics, stronger body and joints, do more weightlifting and yoga, use hormonal replacement therapy etc.

I'm 4 sessions in now and wow it's a massive challenge for me. I don't come from any martial arts background and I'm finding it difficult to get my understanding right.

I'm finding it difficult to learn what to do first.

I'm sure I'm not the first to be in this position but I feel like I have no starting position. Today was even a bit more demoralizing as I'm pretty sure one of the fellas recorded his 3 stripe white belt brother tapping me out.

I'm 4 sessions in now and wow it's a massive challenge for me. I don't come from any martial arts background and I'm finding it difficult to get my understanding right.

I'm sure I'm not the first to be in this position but I feel like I have no starting position. Today was even a bit more demoralizing as I'm pretty sure one of the fellas recorded his 3 stripe white belt brother tapping me out.

It takes time.. this is not easy. It may take months and months before it all comes together - I’m over a year in and my brain still freezes

If you can swing it, taking some privates with an instructor just to get the basics down will pay dividends.

If you took 4 piano lessons how good do you think you would be at playing the piano? 4 sessions is nothing really. It took me 6 months to have a sense of what was going on. I might be a particularly slow learner as well. Just stick with it and eventually things will click.

I know there are tons of older guys that train, but the ones I've met have been training for years and their technique is good enough that they don't have to rely on brute strength, speed, intensity, etc.

My question is how would it be for an old guy to be a beginner? Knowing that I'd make all the beginner mistakes, and also get twisted up and dominated by higher belts, not know how to escape and try to force escapes through flailing/scrambling.

All these signs are telling me it's a bad idea, but when I did take BJJ classes for a couple months in my youth I really enjoyed it before getting injured. Starting to think that if I'm careful this time around, maybe I can still do it.

Do you guys see a lot of older guys walking in off the street to put on the white belt?

I started at 43. Make sure you choose the right gym with other people your age. Don’t be shy about waiting a few months to star rolling rolling so that you have a the basics of defense figured out. Remember, you are the customer and it your body don’t get pushed into things faster than you want.

Yeah all makes sense. It's getting some things to stick.
I came into this not knowing full guard, half guard etc etc but I've started to learn the lingo so I know it will come.

It's gonna be a journey of highs and lows lol.

I think it's awesome that you want to start bjj in your 40s honestly. I definitely agree with everyone saying pick a nice casual gym and easy going partners though, which shouldn't be too hard really. At my old small gym the owner was in his early 50s and still competing and improving, and there was a guy in his late 50s who trained every class (3x a week) who ended up spontaneously doing an mma fight against a young guy and won! I stoped by there last week and they are still training and the guy who did the fight is now 60, he trains smart and light mostly and only with guys he knows train that way too.

~DaViD~

No issues for old guys, I know a guy who started BJJ at 47 and at 52 he's a purple belt.
Just train methodically, normally the higher belts should roll playfully with older beginners.

My advice is start fighting. Start slowly will not soon want to enter a competition. try to do it 3 times a week. And try to consise BJJ workouts with bodybuilding workouts.

Not BJJ, but if it makes you feel better I just started judo at 41 a week ago and had the same concerns as you. I'm a fairly athletic and intense guy, play hockey, soccer, ski, long-distance runner, but have a very small frame (135 lbs soaking wet) and am deathly afraid of injuring myself because of repeated ankle rolls in the past (I wear wrap braces), yet this is something I feel I needed to try for a long time.

Very intimidating entering a room with basically the lowest belt there being a blue belt and everyone else being brown and black belts (some of them huge mofos) but fortunately I've found a dojo with great, welcoming, people who are willing to take their time to help me out. And one dude pointed out to me that the higher belts will actually protect me because they will show me the right way to do stuff instead of doing practice with a bunch of white belts who will injure me by doing bad techniques.

Best of luck!

Hi all, new here. Great post with some informative responses - good timing for me.
I started BJJ about 5 months ago at 47. I hadn't got a clue what guard or mount meant. :) It can be hard keeping up on the cardio & inflexibility front. Then again, I'm a little bit stronger than the younger, faster guys there. To be honest I don't think I would of stayed at BJJ when I was younger - my ego would of struggled and besides I'm more assertive and confident than I was say 30. I'm not ashamed to inform people of injuries or stop when I need to - I'm not sure I would of do this when I was younger.

I can sympathise, Paul. Yes it can be really hard at the beginning as you haven't much of an arsenal or an idea of what moves are coming from an opponent. It can be really frustrating - also the few rusty moves you know are anticipated from your opponent! :)

Man I feel you, two weeks in at judo and I'm like:
giphy.gif

But like a green belt about 20 years younger than me and helping me out said: "baby steps" and one black belt: "[learning] martial arts is a marathon".

Back