Starting barbell complexes

Not much experience with complexes, but I would probably handle it like anything else and start light and add a little each workout.

I'd try to do it with just the bar at first and see if you can do it. Add 10lbs to the 2nd set, and so on.

Start lighter. Do 3 rounds with 90s rest between each round. When you've get to 5 rounds with 60s between each round, increase the weight ~5%, and start over. Or something along those lines.

Start lighter. Do 3 rounds with 90s rest between each round. When you've get to 5 rounds with 60s between each round, increase the weight ~5%, and start over. Or something along those lines.
you were right 95 lbs 90 seconds 4 sets the good mornings smoked me

When you do good mornings regularly, what weight do you use?

That will probably be too heavy. I did Lussts BB complex with 95 lbs, 1 minute rests. All squats ATG, presses locked out. It was harder than expected and it was only 95
BOR x 5
power clean x 1
front squat x 5
push press x 5
back squat x 5
BHN press x 1

When you do good mornings regularly, what weight do you use?

As assistance for squats and DLs you'd want to work up to at least 60%, if not more like 70%+ of your squat weight...or at least 60% is a number thrown about by westside, and that's based on heavily equipped squats, so for the rest of us the number should be higer.

For mobility/getting the blood flowing at the end of a workout/developing tendons and ligaments/getting the glutes firing (Ie. like they might be used in a sheiko routine) 40% of your squat is suggested as a guideline, although you can go heavier as long as it doesn't interfere with the main lifts (and it doesn't make your technique suck).

I would say I think I found a massive weak point but my back was kinda messed up from running the night before. Whenever I run sprintns in boots my back gets sore.

But I"m pretty sure my good mornings aren't nearly that good..... I have work to do.

I used to do complexes at home (about 35kg in weight) three times a week and that really kept me fit (together with kbox and wrestling).

Now I'm doing Starting Strenght programme and have cut down kbox to once a week (just to keep my technique up to certain standard).

I used to do 5 sets of (with 1 minute rest between sets):
- Bent Over Row x6
- Upright Row x6
- Military press x6
- Good Morning x6
- Split Squat (each leg x6)
- Deep back squat x6
- Straight legged deadlift x6

You reckon I could keep doing complexes with about 35kg or 40kg weight after doing my main lifts (M-W-F)? Eg, while I'm still at the gym I would do my complexes straight after main lift. That way I could keep my days off for resting.

Or maybe keep complexes to two times a week and on the days when I'm not doing main lifts?

As assistance for squats and DLs you'd want to work up to at least 60%, if not more like 70%+ of your squat weight...or at least 60% is a number thrown about by westside, and that's based on heavily equipped squats, so for the rest of us the number should be higer.

For mobility/getting the blood flowing at the end of a workout/developing tendons and ligaments/getting the glutes firing (Ie. like they might be used in a sheiko routine) 40% of your squat is suggested as a guideline, although you can go heavier as long as it doesn't interfere with the main lifts (and it doesn't make your technique suck).

I wasn't asking for myself - I just suspected that maybe the GMs got to him because those aren't very light GMs even for regular training (Wendler says he rarely goes above 155 and he's probably a lot stronger than TS) and to do complexes with them seems excessive. Moot point, I realize, since he's already discovered that they were too heavy, but that's why I was asking.

Wendler says he rarely goes above 155 and he's probably a lot stronger than TS

If Wendler limits himself to 155 it's defintely does not have anything to do with a lack of strength. He's probably doing crazy volume with this exercise and/or using it for mobility/recovery reasons.

nice ideas this of BB complexes, now I've got a barbell and about BW in plates, I'm going to look for something nice to try at home..

I do BB complexes with 135

Deadlift x 5
Bent Over Row x 5
Power Cleans x 5
Push Presses x 5
Back Squat x 5

1 minute rest then again x 3

what if you do clean and press x 5 rather than cleans first and then push press?
also do you need to do a couple rounds with less weight to warm up?

what if you do clean and press x 5 rather than cleans first and then push press?
also do you need to do a couple rounds with less weight to warm up?

Either way. Or some people will do a rep of each exercise, then repeat...although that would require that the transitions between exercises be smooth, otherwise it'd be wasting time. Typically, if it's a weight you're doing a complex with, you shouldn't need too much of a warm-up. If you're doing them at the end of a workout, you probably don't need to warm-up at all.

I don't know to be honest. .I front squat and BOR about bodyweight while I push press about half of this ... what's the point of having the same weight on the bar ... meh

I don't know to be honest. .I front squat and BOR about bodyweight while I push press about half of this ... what's the point of having the same weight on the bar ... meh

Conditioning, not strength. That said, there's no need to do complexes. Other ways to accomplish the same goal.

Excuse the semantics, here, but aren't these more of barbell circuits? I thought a complex was more of a thing like "The Bear" (and also excuse the crossfit reference), where you simply go through a motion of several exercises, all for one rep, to complete one rep. For example, the bear would be 1 rep power clean, 1 rep front squat, 1 rep ohp/pp, 1 rep back squat, 1 rep behind neck press/pp, and that's one rep, and you repeat that sequence for a given amount of times.

I do BB complexes with 135

Deadlift x 5
Bent Over Row x 5
Power Cleans x 5
Push Presses x 5
Back Squat x 5

1 minute rest then again x 3

Resurrecting an old thread. But in the face of Sandy, I did this to stave off the dreaded fat(Wrestling season). AWESOME CONDITIONING. did it with 105 and front squat instead of back, but fantastic

Last edited:
Back