1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Starting a BJJ club...need advice!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by crashingtide, Oct 19, 2010.

1. crashingtide

crashingtide Yellow Belt

The club isn't anything serious. It's more so a break from our pathology books. Most of the members have never done jiu jitsu at all before. I'd say a good portion are also merely curious, and they all realize they aren't coming to receive world class instruction, so the environment is very lighthearted.

Regardless, I want to make sure I teach them the basics. I know the things I did when I first started, but I came in with some very very basic understanding of BJJ positions and subs. These girls and guys, for the most part, have never even seen an MMA fight before so they are coming in as clean slates.

What basic drills, exercises, fun warm ups and techniques should I begin teaching them? I also want to get some self defense BJJ drills since the girls expressed interest in that area. Keep in mind that nobody really has a gi, so everything will be taught as no-gi. If you have videos explaining these drills or exercises, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Class organization is: stretching/warm up exercises, self defense (2 techniques), ground technique (2 techniques), then specific (functional) sparring where the goal is to pass guard or use the techniques taught that day effectively in sparring. Suggestions, critiques, and anything else is welcome. I'm a sponge, teach me...

2. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

No "sparring" no "live rolling". Not for along, long time! What is your experience?

3. floridalawdog

floridalawdog Green Belt

Hey, I live in Bradenton and have a brown belt in BJJ(15 years under Charles Dos Anjos). Is this going to be in Bradenton or Miami? If Bradenton, maybe I can help ya out a little bit.

4. Erik Hart

Erik Hart Banned Banned

I bet he's at LECOM in Bradenton. :)

We just started up a similar club at my school. I wonder if you could get an instructional (like Roy Dean's or something) and work through that together.

5. crashingtide

crashingtide Yellow Belt

it's Bradenton, Im in the med school there. We're working out the details at the moment but we'll most likely have a place to train by this week. Actually one of our female members is a blue belt under your professor!

I trained under Thadeu Vieira last year for a bit but med school was taking up all my time, and the only times I would've been able to train there was no class. He was good though, and I only hear great things about Prof Charles. There'd be no way I could turn down such a great offer!

You'd definitely be a far superior teacher than I -- I have 3 years experience under several professors (Ryan Cook [Gracie Barra Evolution], Moacir "Boca" Oliveira [Boca de la Riva], Thadeu Vieira [WBJJA] and Daniel "Montanha" de Lima [Gracie Barra Miami]), but because I essentially had to "start over" with each professor I never really went up in rank -- I'm still a 2 striped white belt, however, when I was training prior to med school, I trained almost solely with blues and purples and fit right in. That obviously doesn't qualify me to teach anything but since it's just a lighthearted study break and nobody is looking to or even has time to compete, I figured I knew enough to give them the basics.

I should have more details regarding times and where we will train as well as a full head count. After I get that info, if you are still willing, it'd be great to discuss all the details about the club with you and have you involved. I really appreciate that offer, thanks a lot!

6. crashingtide

crashingtide Yellow Belt

Hell yeah I'm at LECOM! Are you in med school too? I'm a second year so I got the boards in a few months....:mad:

7. ztt1

ztt1 Orange Belt

i'm sorry , but if you're a 2 stripe white, you shouldn't start a club unless you meet someone who has more experience than you from the same school, who is willing to coach it.

8. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

If you're operating out of your garage/ a spare room at a church / stock room, etc... do you you need to get insurance if its just operating as a club?

9. kimble09

kimble09 Green Belt

well, "i'm sorry", but the above statement is complete hogwash. he's not charging anyone for his instruction, and they are doing it for fun.

10. pachanga

pachanga White Belt

Assuming you do not find a senior belt to come and teach, I'd suggest going down the route of going through the techniques of a beginners DVD. The good thing about them is that the teachers on the DVDs will show details that you as an advanced white/early blue will surely forget - plus when everyone's following one instructional, it's easy to "study" at home.

Good choices are Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements, Roy Dean's No Gi Essentials, and the Gracie Barra Fundamentals Curriculum. (There's also Gracie University/Combatives, but from what I understand that's effectively pure self-defense which may not be what you're after; on the plus side they're not wearing gis). I think they're all solid DVDs.

No-Gi Essentials would work well as your friends don't have gis, though on the down side it doesn't have any self-defense stuff (it does have takedowns, however, as does BBR). It's also not ideally organized for what you're doing, you might have to break it down and rearrange it slightly for each lesson.

The GB Fundamentals would work well as it's organized as a curriculum and has a ton of self-defense stuff, and is the longest/deepest of the three by some way; however it's a gi instructional, which has some downside. It also doesn't include any leg-locks, in case that's something you're interested in (The Roy Dean videos do - be careful with those heel hooks!).

BBR is perhaps the least useful in that it's gi and isn't organised as a curriculum, though it is a bit more usefully organised for teaching than No Gi Essentials. However it's still a good DVD.

You could also use Draculino's website; I haven't seen it but I think it also has a beginner's curriculum (which you can also buy as an iphone app)., which includes some self-defence techniques. There is also MGinAction. which is divided into basic and advanced techniques, but there's no curriculum and a ton of techniques so it could get a bit confusing/easy to get lost. The techniques are also very specific to his game and don't include a lot of the classic bread and butter moves (can be a good or a bad thing depending on where you stand). On the plus side it has plenty of no-gi material (I believe Draculino has a lot less).

Finally there is Kesting's Beginner's DVD, which is solid and very deep but which does not include submissions in the main DVD (there's a bonus with some), is gi only, has no takedowns and is probably too expensive for you all to buy. There are also the various Lloyd Irving beginners DVDs (gi and no gi) but I don't know anything about them.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  11. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

I do a the BJJ/MMA club that is at my university and ran by a blue belt out of my academy.

Usual practice: Warm ups (Running in a circle while doing butt kicks, high knees, etc) for about 15 minutes, Cardio/Conditioning for about 15-30 minutes. 5-6 techniques for about a half hour or so then the last 30 minutes are rolling.

Things I've noticed about how the blue belt runs things: Lately he's been teaching some stuff that I would NEVER teach these guys (de la riva guard back take, a tricky kimura from side control, head and arm triangle from mount, first lesson was on half guard). These guys don't even know how to do a arm bar from guard or mount. They don't know how to do a triangle from guard. They are pretty much wrestlers or guys that want to "train ufc". Some of the guys are legit and train at other academies, but there's only about 5 or 6 of us that actually train for real. The guys spazz when they roll, so I've stopped rolling with most of them because I don't want to get a more bruises/injuried then I normally get.

As for the self defense things, I really can't help you there. My BB is a cop, yet we're a sport jiu jitsu school so I've never really work self defense aspect.

Sorry, most of that is just me b8$^#ing about stuff but please, just make sure that they know the basics FIRST, then you can teach them fancy crap.

12. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

On one hand i would say it's better to train than not to train, you will become better as a fighter and so will your overall Bjj .

On the other hand , i used to " grapple" with some friends before i started Bjj and i still have some moves in my muscle memory, which i taught myself and repeated so much that it became part of my muscle memory, that i need to " unlearn" and replace by the proper techniques.

Since my Bjj class also isn't a one on one class where someone breaks down your whole game, it can take a long time for certain flaws to really get noticed by your teachers.

I mean you can be a 2 stripe white belt and you can probably demonstrate and teach most subs or sweeps escapes etc, but there are a lot of things that you probably don't know.

I'd stick to just drilling and not rolling.

13. Erik Hart

Erik Hart Banned Banned

Yeah. Good luck with boards!

14. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

The first techniques you should teach are bridging, shrimping, and breakfalling.

For self-defense, the escape from rear bearhug (both arms in and out), one-hand front collar grab (leading to standing kimura), and the front standing two-hand neck choke escape.

For subs, maybe escaping mount to regaining full guard to kimura, maybe americana from side mount, or a couple of collar chokes.

That's what I learned first anyway. Try it out.

15. floridalawdog

floridalawdog Green Belt

I know Thadeu well. Hes a great guy. I nremember when he and Charles trained together on Beneva back in the day when Thadeu first came to America. Anyways, tell Thadeu Hi for me if you dont mind. ( tell him Sean the cop) Again, if you need a little help here and there, let me know. I enjoy passing the art on to others.

Where is this going to be?

16. inca warrior

inca warrior White Belt

I have a buddy who did this in Long Island for about 3months till someone got heel hooked and then he shut down due to litigation since he did not have insurance..

Simple advice..

subscribe to Mginaction.com

25 dollars a month...stick to NO-GI section...since GIs are an added cost and stress the importance to everyone to tap early