Start Kickboxing tomorrow

phenomfan1529

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, tomorrow I start kickboxing. Does anybody have any tips for a newcomer? I've been boxing for 7 months & I wanted to learn kicks. I originally wanted to take Muay Thai but couldnt find a place where I live. Well n e ways, any tips would be appreciated.

Oh BTW, I know this was proly asked many times but, whats the difference between kickboxing & muay thai kickboxing?

Thats great man. I myself have been training muay thai for 6 months now. I would say just pay close attention to how the kicks are done (shifting hips, loose legs etc.) you'll get the hang of it eventually. I believe muay thai kickboxing incorporates and focuses the elbows and knees a lot more than simple kickboxing.

There could be a bunch of differences depending on the rule style of kickboxing you are going to do.

Basically it breaks down like this:
Muay Thai - Punches, Elbows, Knees, Kicks - allowed everywhere but the nuts pretty much depending on the state/provincial sanctioning body etc. Clinching is not usually broken up as soon as long as stuff is being thrown and some limited throws are allowed from the clinch - also grabbing legs and kicking etc is allowed. Traditionally 3 minute rounds with 2 min breaks but it can be different.

International Rules - punches and kicks - low kicks allowed

Full Contact Rules - Punches, kicks above the waist. 2 min rounds with 1 min breaks I think. Been a while since I did this.

As far as tips for a beginner. Get the stance right, get used to moving around without getting off balance. Don't be in an all fired hurry to learn every combo and techniques. Enthusiasm is good but if the foundation isn't there all you new techs are going to suck anyway.

Have you checked the club out yet? Some kickboxing is just freestlye karate with a different name, a good way to check is to watch out fror body mechanics. If you see lots of people throwing techniques from the same side one after another ie jab, lead uppercut, cross, right round kick, there is a pretty good chance it's just karate balls in which case stay away.
If not, and they have an understanding of body mechanics then the only tip I have is don't bother trying to throw hard shots you'll just gas yourself out. Concentrate on the movement and sinking your weight behind things.
Other than that just have fun and work hard.

I would say before trying to land perfect kicks or perfect punches, you should first work on your footwork. Once you've got that down, the rest will follow.

How does muay thai training work? In bjj we learn a technique by applying it on a sparring partner over and over to get it right. Then later in class we have basically open mat where we grapple at probably 75% power.

In muay thai training do you kick and punch in the air, on a bag or what? And do classes usually have matches so realistic use of the learned techniques can be used?

When you start you probably wont be thrown straight into sparring. Shadow boxing, and work with the thai pads will feature heavily. You might get to do some clinch work together early on.

TequillaSlammer said:
Have you checked the club out yet? Some kickboxing is just freestlye karate with a different name, a good way to check is to watch out fror body mechanics. If you see lots of people throwing techniques from the same side one after another ie jab, lead uppercut, cross, right round kick, there is a pretty good chance it's just karate balls in which case stay away.
If not, and they have an understanding of body mechanics then the only tip I have is don't bother trying to throw hard shots you'll just gas yourself out. Concentrate on the movement and sinking your weight behind things.
Other than that just have fun and work hard.

I just got back from it, looks like the place is just fucking karate! Pretty dissapointed. Glad I just went for a free tryout instead of paying the 110 bucks. Damn!

Uh, so could you go into more detail on why you think it's Karate?

good luck bro....just work on that conditioning cuz kickboxing is tiring as shit. and if you class has sparring if you have the funds try and buy some shin gaurds and head gear. you're gonna have a lot of fun cuz kickboxing is the shit!

cb9fl said:
How does muay thai training work? In bjj we learn a technique by applying it on a sparring partner over and over to get it right. Then later in class we have basically open mat where we grapple at probably 75% power.

In muay thai training do you kick and punch in the air, on a bag or what? And do classes usually have matches so realistic use of the learned techniques can be used?

This is how we do it at our school: We train 5 days a week (tho i usually go 3x)

First 30 mins, warmup, stretching, and some bodyweight conditioning exercises (pushups, situps, etc.)

15 mins shadow boxing drills (punch combos, punch and kick combos, elbows, knees )
15 mins clinchwork

3-5 rounds of pad work

Then we practice techniques. We pair off and partners take turns. Usually we spend the whole week on a certain set of techniques e.g. kicking defense, punching defense, counterpunch(&kick)ing. Usually cover 3-5 techniques in a given day.

1 day out of the week, usually Wed or Thurs will be devoted to sparring.

That's awesome that you are open to learn a new style. Most boxers I know think that just boxing is superior and don't need to learn new things. Good luck and have fun.

Back