Stars and personalities are big part of mma

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by hasar, May 24, 2014.

1. hasar

hasar Yellow Card Yellow Card

Yes it is true we are for entertainment and skill of athletes. But you can't deny star power and personality. I watched whole bellator card because of Ranpage and Tito. It doesn't really matter they past their primes. Their personalities and shit talking is still entertaining.

2. clarkson

clarkson White Belt

The problem is there are no new big stars personality wise. As the sport became more mainstream so have the participants. Theyre just like regular boring athletes compared to the past where guys were more individualistic.

3. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

Calm your titts dude.

4. BisexualMMA

It is unfortunate now that even in the UFC, the only way to stand out and be a star it seems is to act like an asshole.

Rousey and Jon Jones are the only ones who get any press and they act like jerks.

There aren't really any Liddell or Couture or Franklin type big stars at the top of the heap, with GSP out of the picture now.

5. VolkHan

VolkHan Brown Belt

Is something strong in MMA due to its pro-wrestling heritage and the education level of the casual fan.

In sports like soccer or Formula1 fans support athletes/drivers almost only due to their accomplishments or skills, even if they never heard interviews involving the athletes.

6. BisexualMMA

Interesting that you point to soccer and car racing as the sports where the fans have an apparently higher level of education...

7. VolkHan

VolkHan Brown Belt

Have actually a different education on recognising who deserves more relevance as a sportsman, although I'm generalising in this picture.

I can say, a soccer/Formula1 casual fan (not the hooligan) is even probably the guy that find more entertaining a Roman Planski movie over a Steven Seagal movie, for the casual MMA fan is the opposite.
    Of course is my personal POV.

8. BisexualMMA

Could be.

Funny thing is, when I think of fan bases with a negative / uneducated image, the first three sports I probably think of are MMA, car racing and soccer...

I will grant you, I would probably expect most Sherdoggers to take GI Joe: Rise of Cobra over The Pianist.

9. VolkHan

VolkHan Brown Belt

I'm dividing into harcore and casual fans ...

About bad hardcore fans I can think to combat sports and soccer, motor sports not at all except Nascar ...
    about casual fans with a negative / uneducated image I can think only about MMA and few others, pretty much all the casual fans of team sports I found them good fans, but really I don't have a very bright idea about all the sports.

And yes, I'm sure if u make a poll they'll choose GI Joe over The Pianist. :D