Social Starbuck's new homeless policy is a joke

Why would anyone want to hang out at a coffee shop anyway? I can drink coffee and fart around on the computer at home without being bothered by the unwashed masses, be they homeless or otherwise.

Yeah it was pretty predictable. I'm sure word gets out on the street that you can hang out in Starbucks- especially in cold-weather states in the winter. Incredibly dumb policy

I'm just giving you my opinion. You could have ignored him, or left, or talked to a manager discreetly. Once you decided to confront him I think you were, if not wrong, at the very least escalating the situation.

What?

By saying "Yo, could you stop being disruptive, man?", I was escalating the situation? Dude, you're from NYC. This is par for the course over there. I should know: I was born and raised there - we're all confrontational assholes.

They're definitively losing sales from it. All it takes is a couple of weirdos to take a liking for a store and you've just made that place into an unpleasant environment. I've stopped going to places for a lot less.

Did you get the number of the girl who meekly nodded or not? The only potentially useful productive thing that could've come out of that situation.

Is this just another case of a SJW virtue signaling gone awry?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a short summary of their policy regarding homeless people.

Tl;Dr warning:

Story time:

So last week, I stopped by at a Starbucks in one of the nicer parts of San Diego to get a cup of joe and buckle down and get some studying done. Since all the smaller tables by the walls were occupied, I opted to sit by the large table shared by several customers in the middle of the room. One of the occupants of said table was a disheveled, homeless looking guy - possibly afflicted with schizophrenia - with his belongings strewn about all around his chair. The guy was repeatedly getting up from his seat, banging his chair against the table, and furiously scribbling something into his notebook. After a minute or two of enduring this, I notice one of the smaller tables was being freed up, so I immediately migrated over there so I can get some work done in peace.
Homeless Guy probably didn't take too kindly that I was moving away from him, and he continued to act like a nuisance but only this time shot a menacing glance at me occasionally and slammed his pen onto the table after he was finished scribbling. The menacing glances and noises were so unnerving that I finally lost my shit and called him out for his behavior.

"Yo, could you stop being disruptive, man?"
"What?" he replied.
"Could you stop being disruptive? You're making these noises and it's really unsettling me."

I can't exactly remember what he replied next, but to the best of my ability, I can only recall that he said he didn't do anything, was having a bad day, and that I was a bully for picking on him. It was all incoherent garbage that I couldn't make sense of, but the last part about bullying got me livid immediately. Bullying people, especially those afflicted with mental illness is not my cup of tea. It's quite dickish, and I'm fervently against it.

He then made a few remarks about my physical appearance and how he was not afraid of me despite "having 45 lbs on him and being big and muscular" (his words verbatim). That comment really threw me off because I perceived it to be a threat. Not once did I make any threats to this guy; I only told him that he was being disruptive and he was already on the defensive, thinking that I wanted to fight this guy. As a matter of fact, he was the one who was giving me the evil eye in the first place. I told him to be quiet or leave, but HG couldn't stop commenting on my appearance and ranting about irrelevant bullshit.

Wishing to avoid escalating the verbal argument into an actual fight, I immediately reported his behavior to one of the baristas. The barista informed me that due to their new policy, she was unable to do anything about the situation. And besides, the homeless guy was a regular customer at the cafe. Wtf? I understood that they had a recent change in policy, but asked her if they put up with his shenanigans on a regular basis. She replied yes. I lost it at this point, and I turned around and addressed everybody in the cafe if I was being wrong in this situation. I pointed to a lady who was sharing the table with HG and asked her if he was annoying her. She meekly nodded in agreement. I pointed my finger to another customer and asked her the same question. Again, yes.

HG, seeing that nobody was too pleased with his presence, finally picked up his stuff, apologized to me and everyone in the cafe, and left. At this point I was shaking with anger - partly because HG accused me of intimidating him, when in fact, it was the opposite that occurred, and partly because the barista didn't do shit about this situation. After HG left, the barista came up to me and apologized on behalf of HG. I didn't acknowledge her half-ass apology.

All of this because of the backlash Starbucks received after 2 black men were arrested for hanging out at a cafe and not buying anything? That's quite an extreme reaction. And besides, who the hell goes to a place of business and hangs out for a while without purchasing anything? That constitutes trespassing, regardless of race. All the phytoestrogen in the soy latte must have turned these males into bitch made SJWs and females into delusional bleeding heart dipshits.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these places become haven for drug users and perverted bums who unashamedly pleasure themselves while eyefucking the cute college girls sipping on their pumpkin spice latte. You reap what you sow. Have fun with that, Starbucks.
Lol did you go to a Starbucks in Ocean Beach? Wouldn't shock me if their were needles in there. Bunch of fucking tweakers.

Lol did you go to a Starbucks in Ocean Beach? Wouldn't shock me if their were needles in there. Bunch of fucking tweakers.

Nah, Imperial Beach. Tell me, did you experience culture shock when you saw the waves of homeless bums in this area when you first arrived here?

Trust me, it's nothing compared to what you see on the other side of the border.

Not that I needed another reason to not drink Starbucks shitty coffee.

Did you get the number of the girl who meekly nodded or not? The only potentially useful productive thing that could've come out of that situation.

No, but I can assure you that she was visibly relieved when the schizo left.

Nah, Imperial Beach. Tell me, did you experience culture shock when you saw the waves of homeless bums in this area when you first arrived here?
Trust me, it's nothing compared to what you see on the other side of the border.
Not really, I mean there's a decent amount of homeless in Chicago. I travelled out here enough in the past to know it was homeless Haven like Portland and Seattle.

Not that I needed another reason to not drink Starbucks shitty coffee.

Well, there are definitely better places in SD to get a cup of joe - Cafe Calabria and Lestat's immediately come to mind.

Well, there are definitely better places in SD to get a cup of joe - Cafe Calabria and Lestat's immediately come to mind.
I love lestats, I live right down the street from one. I walk there a lot, right past the Starbucks along the way lol.

I love lestats, I live right down the street from one. I walk there a lot, right past the Starbucks along the way lol.

Which one? I used to frequent the one in Normal Heights but now I go to the one in North Park now and then.
Edit: It's gotta be Normal Heights. There's like 2 Starbucks in that region. One in Kensington Heights and one directly across the corner from Lestat's.

TS is a hipster who frequents Starbucks.....

<Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

Which one? I used to frequent the one in Normal Heights but now I go to the one in North Park now and then.
Edit: It's gotta be Normal Heights. There's like 2 Starbucks in that region. One in Kensington Heights and one directly across the corner from Lestat's.
Normal Heights

Is this just another case of a SJW virtue signaling gone awry?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a short summary of their policy regarding homeless people.

Tl;Dr warning:

Story time:

So last week, I stopped by at a Starbucks in one of the nicer parts of San Diego to get a cup of joe and buckle down and get some studying done. Since all the smaller tables by the walls were occupied, I opted to sit by the large table shared by several customers in the middle of the room. One of the occupants of said table was a disheveled, homeless looking guy - possibly afflicted with schizophrenia - with his belongings strewn about all around his chair. The guy was repeatedly getting up from his seat, banging his chair against the table, and furiously scribbling something into his notebook. After a minute or two of enduring this, I notice one of the smaller tables was being freed up, so I immediately migrated over there so I can get some work done in peace.
Homeless Guy probably didn't take too kindly that I was moving away from him, and he continued to act like a nuisance but only this time shot a menacing glance at me occasionally and slammed his pen onto the table after he was finished scribbling. The menacing glances and noises were so unnerving that I finally lost my shit and called him out for his behavior.

"Yo, could you stop being disruptive, man?"
"What?" he replied.
"Could you stop being disruptive? You're making these noises and it's really unsettling me."

I can't exactly remember what he replied next, but to the best of my ability, I can only recall that he said he didn't do anything, was having a bad day, and that I was a bully for picking on him. It was all incoherent garbage that I couldn't make sense of, but the last part about bullying got me livid immediately. Bullying people, especially those afflicted with mental illness is not my cup of tea. It's quite dickish, and I'm fervently against it.

He then made a few remarks about my physical appearance and how he was not afraid of me despite "having 45 lbs on him and being big and muscular" (his words verbatim). That comment really threw me off because I perceived it to be a threat. Not once did I make any threats to this guy; I only told him that he was being disruptive and he was already on the defensive, thinking that I wanted to fight this guy. As a matter of fact, he was the one who was giving me the evil eye in the first place. I told him to be quiet or leave, but HG couldn't stop commenting on my appearance and ranting about irrelevant bullshit.

Wishing to avoid escalating the verbal argument into an actual fight, I immediately reported his behavior to one of the baristas. The barista informed me that due to their new policy, she was unable to do anything about the situation. And besides, the homeless guy was a regular customer at the cafe. Wtf? I understood that they had a recent change in policy, but asked her if they put up with his shenanigans on a regular basis. She replied yes. I lost it at this point, and I turned around and addressed everybody in the cafe if I was being wrong in this situation. I pointed to a lady who was sharing the table with HG and asked her if he was annoying her. She meekly nodded in agreement. I pointed my finger to another customer and asked her the same question. Again, yes.

HG, seeing that nobody was too pleased with his presence, finally picked up his stuff, apologized to me and everyone in the cafe, and left. At this point I was shaking with anger - partly because HG accused me of intimidating him, when in fact, it was the opposite that occurred, and partly because the barista didn't do shit about this situation. After HG left, the barista came up to me and apologized on behalf of HG. I didn't acknowledge her half-ass apology.

All of this because of the backlash Starbucks received after 2 black men were arrested for hanging out at a cafe and not buying anything? That's quite an extreme reaction. And besides, who the hell goes to a place of business and hangs out for a while without purchasing anything? That constitutes trespassing, regardless of race. All the phytoestrogen in the soy latte must have turned these males into bitch made SJWs and females into delusional bleeding heart dipshits.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these places become haven for drug users and perverted bums who unashamedly pleasure themselves while eyefucking the cute college girls sipping on their pumpkin spice latte. You reap what you sow. Have fun with that, Starbucks.

hi Thunderhead,

that's quite a scene you made. wow.

i'd have just gone to study somewhere else. is there a shortage of places to buy a cup of coffee in Southern California?

- IGIT

Back