Social Starbuck's new homeless policy is a joke

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Thunderhead, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Thunderhead

Thunderhead Assman Extraordinaire

Is this just another case of a SJW virtue signaling gone awry?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a short summary of their policy regarding homeless people.
    Tl;Dr warning:

Story time:

So last week, I stopped by at a Starbucks in one of the nicer parts of San Diego to get a cup of joe and buckle down and get some studying done. Since all the smaller tables by the walls were occupied, I opted to sit by the large table shared by several customers in the middle of the room. One of the occupants of said table was a disheveled, homeless looking guy - possibly afflicted with schizophrenia - with his belongings strewn about all around his chair. The guy was repeatedly getting up from his seat, banging his chair against the table, and furiously scribbling something into his notebook. After a minute or two of enduring this, I notice one of the smaller tables was being freed up, so I immediately migrated over there so I can get some work done in peace.
    Homeless Guy probably didn't take too kindly that I was moving away from him, and he continued to act like a nuisance but only this time shot a menacing glance at me occasionally and slammed his pen onto the table after he was finished scribbling. The menacing glances and noises were so unnerving that I finally lost my shit and called him out for his behavior.

"Yo, could you stop being disruptive, man?"
    "What?" he replied.
    "Could you stop being disruptive? You're making these noises and it's really unsettling me."

I can't exactly remember what he replied next, but to the best of my ability, I can only recall that he said he didn't do anything, was having a bad day, and that I was a bully for picking on him. It was all incoherent garbage that I couldn't make sense of, but the last part about bullying got me livid immediately. Bullying people, especially those afflicted with mental illness is not my cup of tea. It's quite dickish, and I'm fervently against it.

He then made a few remarks about my physical appearance and how he was not afraid of me despite "having 45 lbs on him and being big and muscular" (his words verbatim). That comment really threw me off because I perceived it to be a threat. Not once did I make any threats to this guy; I only told him that he was being disruptive and he was already on the defensive, thinking that I wanted to fight this guy. As a matter of fact, he was the one who was giving me the evil eye in the first place. I told him to be quiet or leave, but HG couldn't stop commenting on my appearance and ranting about irrelevant bullshit.

Wishing to avoid escalating the verbal argument into an actual fight, I immediately reported his behavior to one of the baristas. The barista informed me that due to their new policy, she was unable to do anything about the situation. And besides, the homeless guy was a regular customer at the cafe. Wtf? I understood that they had a recent change in policy, but asked her if they put up with his shenanigans on a regular basis. She replied yes. I lost it at this point, and I turned around and addressed everybody in the cafe if I was being wrong in this situation. I pointed to a lady who was sharing the table with HG and asked her if he was annoying her. She meekly nodded in agreement. I pointed my finger to another customer and asked her the same question. Again, yes.

HG, seeing that nobody was too pleased with his presence, finally picked up his stuff, apologized to me and everyone in the cafe, and left. At this point I was shaking with anger - partly because HG accused me of intimidating him, when in fact, it was the opposite that occurred, and partly because the barista didn't do shit about this situation. After HG left, the barista came up to me and apologized on behalf of HG. I didn't acknowledge her half-ass apology.

All of this because of the backlash Starbucks received after 2 black men were arrested for hanging out at a cafe and not buying anything? That's quite an extreme reaction. And besides, who the hell goes to a place of business and hangs out for a while without purchasing anything? That constitutes trespassing, regardless of race. All the phytoestrogen in the soy latte must have turned these males into bitch made SJWs and females into delusional bleeding heart dipshits.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these places become haven for drug users and perverted bums who unashamedly pleasure themselves while eyefucking the cute college girls sipping on their pumpkin spice latte. You reap what you sow. Have fun with that, Starbucks.

2. August West

August West Brown Belt

You’re a big guy

[​IMG]

nhbbear, TheGZA, EyeOfNewt and 7 others like this.
  3. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Steel Belt

Ts is obviously a cis gender white Christian Male afflicted with toxic masculinity. Hopefully the mods ban you.

4. Sketch

Sketch ?.?.?.?.?.?

I wonder if they will have safe injections sites in their stores in the near future as well.

Ayin, BjPenn2017, salamander and 11 others like this.
  5. Thunderhead

All jokes aside, the homeless guy was actually a white male and me, well, you know what my race is.

TeTe likes this.
  6. ineverpost

ineverpost Black Belt

Their political policies help create the cess pool outside their stores. The least they can do is let them inside.

7. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

I think you escalated a situation that could have been ignored. I know it’s frustrating, but it’s not your store, so he has a right to be there until the store owner decides otherwise. It would have been better to just leave the guy alone and leave the store with your coffee if it bothered you that much.

As a side note, I did watch a woman OD in a coffee shop in Baltimore one time and get Narcanned (Naloxone). But she came into the shop high, she didn't use the shop's bathroom.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    RabbitPunch36 and TheLinguist like this.
  8. bobgeese

bobgeese Silver Belt

Uppercuts for everyone.

SamSchmidt and Ornife like this.
  9. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I doubt you actually addressed people in a store like that.

It-is-what-it-is, Ornife, RR and 9 others like this.
  10. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Ill never complain about the homeless people on the west coast again after visiting Philadelphia

TheGZA and Chesten_Hesten like this.
  11. El Panteron

El Panteron White Belt

Wow.
    Standing up to a broken and mental man in terrible phisical shape and with no power to retaliate.
    That takes balls.

Seriously, though, what is the solution? Ban homeless people from entering places? Of course crazy people are a nuisance. They are crazy people. We should get that guy off the streets and into a psychiatric hospital, so he can get treatment.

12. Thunderhead

I couldn't give a shit what you believe nor don't believe.

I'm glad no one recorded a video of this because it could have immediately been taken out of context.

TeTe likes this.
  13. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Steel Belt

That's honestly not too far off.

mb23100 likes this.
  14. Fedorable

Fedorable 1/1024th Mod

assman extraordinaire is not a race.

but it should be

especially the west coast of philadelphia.

15. Thunderhead

Yeah, right? God forbid I see some mentally ill guy attempting to murder or sexually assault someone. I should leave him alone because they're just insane people and insane people have different rights.

Fronk and TeTe like this.
  16. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

17. Hogey

Hogey Black Belt

Starbucks should put these bums out of their misery with a complimentary cup of joe with cyanide

18. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Okay USA Platinum Member

lol at running to a chick for help

19. tramendous

tramendous Silver Belt

K guys i read it all for you. Trust me. None of that happened.

TheGZA, Stoic1, TheLinguist and 2 others like this.
  20. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I will confess to disliking people who spend hours in coffee shops doing anything other than drinking coffee on their way to somewhere else.

I get the Starbucks business model and why it's successful, I just don't like it personally. When I wander into a Starbucks and there's a bunch of adults on laptops doing shit, I just want to shake them and tell them to go home.

The issue with the homeless and the home-having basically living in Starbucks just irks me.

EyeOfNewt, TeTe, footodors and 8 others like this.