Social Starbuck's having a problem now with people leaving used bloody syringes in restrooms

This is why you decriminalize drug addictions and fund needle exchange programs.

These have proven to reduce disease and lead to higher rates of people getting treatment for addiction.

You mean like they did in Vancouver, Canada and now schools and people living in residential areas have to do regular needle sweeps because junkies are leaving their used needles anywhere and everywhere including elementary school playgrounds.

CBC:

Is Vancouver becoming 'syringe city'?

The number of needles being left on city streets is on the rise, but the problem with drugs goes deeper

"The number of addicts are going up. In the City of Vancouver, you know, the number of overdose deaths — we've surpassed last year. It really is a symptom of the overdose crisis that we're having right now," he said.

"There are more needles being distributed to make sure that [drug users are] using clean needles and not reusing dirty needles, which leads to infectious diseases and other problems," said Jang. "Unfortunately a lot of [the needles] are showing up in our parks and waterways, for example," he said.

Garbage associated with injection drugs can be found littered all over Vancouver.

injection-drug-litter.JPG

sean-paddison.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 black guys in that starbucks incident who showed no respect for authority sent a message. And that message was that people can hang out at Starbucks and not buy a drink or food. And it brought in the druggies and a used needle problem.
you really are a sad little cunt, what has 2 guys waiting for a meeting got to do with junkies

How does giving them a place to shoot up, curb addiction? All those needle exchanges do, is curb disease and overdoses. Which is good and all, but it does nothing to curb addiction. They're still shooting up all the same. It doesn't solve the addiction problem at all.

Similar programs else where have shown that addicts who are offered with supervised injection sites (SIS) to use are more likely to seek and accept treatment when compared to addicts in places without SIS.

Legitimate question, what policies do you think would be better or more successful in solving the problem?

I live in a very liberal city. We constantly cater to these people and you know what we get in return? More of them showing up looking to have an easy life as a homeless drug addict. I honestly do not have the answer, but making things easier for them certainly isn't it.

You mean like they did in Vancouver, Canada and now schools and people living in residential areas have to do regular needle sweeps because junkies are leaving their used needles anywhere and everywhere including elementary school playgrounds.

CBC:

The number of needles being left on city streets is on the rise, but the problem with drugs goes deeper

"The number of addicts are going up. In the City of Vancouver, you know, the number of overdose deaths — we've surpassed last year. It really is a symptom of the overdose crisis that we're having right now," he said.

"There are more needles being distributed to make sure that [drug users are] using clean needles and not reusing dirty needles, which leads to infectious diseases and other problems," said Jang. "Unfortunately a lot of [the needles] are showing up in our parks and waterways, for example," he said.

Garbage associated with injection drugs can be found littered all over Vancouver.

sean-paddison.jpg

Needle exchanges need to be used in conjunction with supervised injection sites. Sites with mefucal staff that offer the needke, its used and discarded by the user at the site.

Similar programs else where have shown that addicts who are offered with supervised injection sites (SIS) to use are more likely to seek and accept treatment when compared to addicts in places without SIS.

What is the success rate, exactly? Big fuckin' deal if they seek out treatment being advised to them as they're shooting up in these places. Do they complete the treatment and get clean? Have these needle exchanges actually had an impact in curbing addiction in the cities they're in? Yeah, I highly doubt it.

Because unlike folks like you, some folks actually want to solve addiction epidemics instead of just feed addicts to the for profit prison system.
If you’re going to lock up people for no reason you might as well make money off of it. It’s very similar to a sudden death in the family. Might as well cash in on those kidneys while they’re fresh.

CBC:

sean-paddison.jpg
We've had success here in Denmark with so called "fixerum" meaning supervised places where heroin addicts can shoot up. More than a million people have used there since 2012 and not a single overdose. Also there's been less syringes in playgrounds and around the neighborhoods and more care. In fact, since the "fixerum" was made, there has been a decline of 80% of narcotic waste in high risk areas. At the same time, there has been some bumps in the road and issues with people outside and around the places causing disturbances and making a mess. Overall it's been a pretty big success, but it's by no means something that can curb addiciton on it's own. That's not the main focus.

I am surprised that Vancouver has seen such a rise in syringes, since we had the opposite effect, but perhaps it speaks more to the prevelance of drug use than anything else. There's a lot of moving parts including supervision, number of areas, number of addicts, regulations and so on. I'd like for the article to have gone deeper.

What is the success rate, exactly? Big fuckin' deal if they seek out treatment being advised to them as they're shooting up in these places. Do they complete the treatment and get clean? Have these needle exchanges actually had an impact in curbing addiction in the cities they're in? Yeah, I highly doubt it.

Here it has only made it less safe for the public as needles are found every damn where. I don't want to trade my safety for the safety of drug addicts.

You're trying to explain things that happen in cities to a rural hayseed that has never left his county.
@Ripskater may or may not understand that but that is not his issue anyway.

His issue is to constantly use any thread, any loose connection he can make, no matter how specious to spread his racism and homophobia and other fears and if he gets the chance to try and connect a few them together (as he tries to do so here) all the better for him.

He is, by far at the top of this sites most bigoted posters.

CBC:

sean-paddison.jpg

Lol I legitimately almost sat on a syringe last week in a nice courtyard.

Then what policies and services do you propose would be more effective in relieving the harm caused by homeless addiction?

This is why you decriminalize drug addictions and fund needle exchange programs.

These have proven to reduce disease and lead to higher rates of people getting treatment for addiction.

But these types of logical solutions deny me the "fuck you!" high I get from either doing nothing about or somehow increasing the suffering of those on a lower socio-economic rung than myself. So no thanks.

I want opioid addicts who can't afford food or beverages after blowing all their money on a fix denied public bathroom access and thrown out of restaurants. Let them shoot up between the dumpsters in the alleyway. The feeling of sublime satisfaction I get from knowing this is how the problem is being handled is my own drug of choice.

Then what policies and services do you propose would be more effective in relieving the harm caused by homeless addiction?
Safe injection sites like the aforementioned "fixerum."

Fixing our mental health care system so that the people who need to be institutionalized are there receiving the care they need rather than out on the streets where they make up roughly half of the homeless population. It would also save us money since we no longer have to police them, drastically reduce costly trips to emergency rooms, and since they are no longer being incarcerated remove the burden from the judicial system. Then since police no longer have to respond to the same calls for frequent flyers they can police real crime.

Legalizing drugs since people have been doing them since we've been a species and are not going to stop. Especially since the overwhelming amount of people have no desire to do "hard drugs" and of those that do them most won't become habitual users and even less of those habitual users will become addicts. Science seems to now be arriving at the consensus that addiction is largely a neurological disorder. Again, it would also save us money since drug crimes account for one quarter of state penitentiary admissions and one third of federal penitentiary admissions. Again it would ease the burden on the judicial system. Again police could then focus on real crimes like murder, rape, property crimes, etc.

We could use that surplus and that from tax revenue generated from the legal industry to research better ways to treat and perhaps cure addiction. Perhaps make the drugs themselves safer which they already would be once legalized and regulated. So less overdoses and less burden on our healthcare system so more money saved.

Or you know we could just keep on doing what we're doing.

Come on, you know why they suspect they were druggies.
I remember that story, I don't recall any angle about drugs. Why are you embellishing the story?

Back