Social Starbuck's having a problem now with people leaving used bloody syringes in restrooms

@Ripskater inadvertently endorsed needle exchange programs.

that's merely saying certain problems still persist. Obviously it wont erase them overnight. And everyone agrees it's an improvement overall from the previous condition.
Is that signature of yours for real? Did he really say that?

Wait... it's brown people or trans people that's leaving the syringes right? It's a Rip thread so I was shocked that there was not mention of either. I did see the "it's no racist" thing so I know it must be in there somewhere.

I think its implied that only trannys go to starbucks.

can't go anywhere around me w/o getting accosted by bums and druggies like this

I reverse it on them, the moment they approach me I ask THEM for a dollar.

Hilarity often ensues

I like that conservatives tout how chatitable their churches are but when actual progressive businesses do charitable things like offer a place firvthe homeless to quietly warm up with a free coffee

...and shoot up drugs in the bathroom...

Notice you left that little nugget out of it. I mean, it's up to them, but down the line I don't think many regular customers will be cool with buying their coffee at a glorified homeless shelter, with dirty needles strewn about.

The 2 black guys in that starbucks incident who showed no respect for authority sent a message. And that message was that people can hang out at Starbucks and not buy a drink or food. And it brought in the druggies and a used needle problem.
You, as usual, have little understanding of the issue you speak about. Starbucks has for well over a decade marketing itself as the outside office or meeting place for professionals.

You do not need to have a drink or food items in front of you to sit there and network or work on your computer but AT SOME POINT, you should buy a drink or food if you are going to take time. But they have never suggested that point has to be the second you walk in there. Many a time I have met people in Starbucks after just having a coffee elsewhere, and not ordered anything. But as the meeting progressed over an hour or more I got up and got something. Starbucks knows that. The entire camp out and bring your laptop model knows that. They work on a 'sales per hour' model knowing on average how much someone will spend per hour seated. McD's opened lounges/cafe's to attract just that clientele.

...and shoot up drugs in the bathroom...

Notice you left that little nugget out of it. I mean, it's up to them, but down the line I don't think many regular customers will be cool with buying their coffee at a glorified homeless shelter, with dirty needles strewn about.

That's why many people in major cities support needle exchanges and designated places for homeless addicts to use.

You have to earn respect. You dont automatically get it because you are "authority"

Especially when no laws are being broken.
If store managers and cops ask you to leave, you need to respect their authority (it was not the 2 guy's restaurant).

You, as usual, have little understanding of the issue you speak about. Starbucks has for well over a decade marketing itself as the outside office or meeting place for professionals.

You do not need to have a drink or food items in front of you to sit there and network or work on your computer but AT SOME POINT, you should buy a drink or food if you are going to take time. But they have never suggested that point has to be the second you walk in there. Many a time I have met people in Starbucks after just having a coffee elsewhere, and not ordered anything. But as the meeting progressed over an hour or more I got up and got something. Starbucks knows that. The entire camp out and bring your laptop model knows that. They work on a 'sales per hour' model knowing on average how much someone will spend per hour seated. McD's opened lounges/cafe's to attract just that clientele.

You're trying to explain things that happen in cities to a rural hayseed that has never left his county.

This is why you decriminalize drug addictions and fund needle exchange programs.

These have proven to reduce disease and lead to higher rates of people getting treatment for addiction.

We have a needle exchange program here. It's basically a needle handout. Nobody follows the rules. They can use dirty needles for all I care, I found a needle at the end of my damn driveway a while back and hundreds are found a month around where I live. I'd rather them put themselves at risk with dirty needles than put the public at risk by leaving them everywhere. I am absolutely against needle exchanges or safe injection sites.

What's the point now? They've got Starbucks.

Because unlike folks like you, some folks actually want to solve addiction epidemics instead of just feed addicts to the for profit prison system.

Did you actually read that article?

Obviously the war on drugs doesn't work, but legalizing hard drugs isn't a cure all.

well yeah its not gonna cure someones cirrhosis.

Well after the bathroom refusal incident, where the CEO ends up having to mentor the minority victims, they cannot stop anyone from just going into bathrooms.

We have a needle exchange program here. It's basically a needle handout. Nobody follows the rules. They can use dirty needles for all I care, I found a needle at the end of my damn driveway a while back and hundreds are found a month around where I live. I'd rather them put themselves at risk with dirty needles than put the public at risk by leaving them everywhere. I am absolutely against needle exchanges or safe injection sites.

Legitimate question, what policies do you think would be better or more successful in solving the problem?

If store managers and cops ask you to leave, you need to respect their authority (it was not the 2 guy's restaurant).
The store manager is now out of a job. Maybe she should have thought things through a little more.

Because unlike folks like you, some folks actually want to solve addiction epidemics instead if just feed addicts to the for profit prison system.

How does giving them a place to shoot up, curb addiction? All those needle exchanges do, is curb disease and overdoses. Which is good and all, but it does nothing to curb addiction. They're still shooting up all the same. It doesn't solve the addiction problem at all.

Back