Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (New Footage from D23 Reel)

What did you think of the teaser trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried to force myself to watch Avatar again.

How on earth did that film make so much money?

I've asked myself that very same question about Episode VII.

Well, that's easy.

Episode VII was awesome.
RG0BS1U.gif

Well, that's easy.

Episode VII was awesome.

It was alright. Definitely not deserving of the success it has received by its own merit as a film. It was the hype train that broke the box office. I am hoping Ep VIII actually brings something new to the table, and isnt as formulaic but considering the success of Ep VII, I have a feeling Disney will play it safe again.

TFA had the vibe of billion dollar fan fiction but the best scenes (Rey, then Rey and Finn on Jakku, the Jedi steps, Han and Chewie banter) were worth the price of admission.

Hopefully Rian Johnson can bring enough artistic spark to Ep VIII that it doesn't feel like fan fiction.

Going off topic here: I watched the movie for a second time this week. I paid special attention to the fights between Ren, Finn and Rey.

I completely withdraw any complaints I made about Ren vs Finn. Watching it for a second time, it's blindingly obvious Ren is toying with Finn. Twice he actually turns his back on Finn while he's helpless instead of delivering the killing blow. He sets up Finn to be burned by the cross-guard; it's not a spur of the moment cheap shot. He's looking for it, in the same way a BJJ Blue Belt might manipulate a white belt into a position to be Choked or Arm Barred.

When Finn lands a lucky shot, the fight changes instantly. You can almost hear Ren thinking, Yeah, playtime's over, boy! He ends the fight almost immediately. And all that is done while dealing with a serious wound.

I'm still not happy about the Ren - Rey fight. The first part is fine; Ren is bleeding out and he's also not trying to kill Rey. Snoke made it clear he wants her alive. Indeed, Ren offers to train Rey himself. And Ren dominates the fight. Rey is on the defensive almost the whole time.

The final part, where Rey draws on the Force to such an extent she completely bitch-slaps Ren is the only part that bothers me. I would have no objections to Rey fighting a wounded Ren to a draw, but having her murk him is too much. Even allowing that Ren's was injured and not yet fully trained, it still removes too much of his potential menace. The next time he and Rey throw down, he will actually be the underdog. Unless it's shown that his power has massively increased while training under Snoke. And even then, Rey will have graduated Jedi Academy under Luke himself.

I wonder if we'll get any backstory to the Maz Kanata crush on Chewie in the next episode. Talk about an odd couple

Going off topic here: I watched the movie for a second time this week. I paid special attention to the fights between Ren, Finn and Rey.

I completely withdraw any complaints I made about Ren vs Finn. Watching it for a second time, it's blindingly obvious Ren is toying with Finn. Twice he actually turns his back on Finn while he's helpless instead of delivering the killing blow. He sets up Finn to be burned by the cross-guard; it's not a spur of the moment cheap shot. He's looking for it, in the same way a BJJ Blue Belt might manipulate a white belt into a position to be Choked or Arm Barred.

When Finn lands a lucky shot, the fight changes instantly. You can almost hear Ren thinking, Yeah, playtime's over, boy! He ends the fight almost immediately. And all that is done while dealing with a serious wound.

I'm still not happy about the Ren - Rey fight. The first part is fine; Ren is bleeding out and he's also not trying to kill Rey. Snoke made it clear he wants her alive. Indeed, Ren offers to train Rey himself. And Ren dominates the fight. Rey is on the defensive almost the whole time.

The final part, where Rey draws on the Force to such an extent she completely bitch-slaps Ren is the only part that bothers me. I would have no objections to Rey fighting a wounded Ren to a draw, but having her murk him is too much. Even allowing that Ren's was injured and not yet fully trained, it still removes too much of his potential menace. The next time he and Rey throw down, he will actually be the underdog. Unless it's shown that his power has massively increased while training under Snoke. And even then, Rey will have graduated Jedi Academy under Luke himself.
I like that comparison to BJJ.

I've watched a few times as well. I also noticed that C3PO has his gold arm back at the end scene when they're waving at the Falcon and Chewie/Rey leaving to find Luke. Not sure if it was mentioned in the other thread with 1 billion posts, didn't really want to scroll through to try and find it.

Also, the last scene where Rey climbs the steps to find Luke reminded me of the old Kung-Fu movies where the student climbs a shit load of stairs to find the master. Plus I freakin love that end song while she's climbing the steps, called the Jedi Steps I think.

I hope these films take nothing from the prequels.

NOT. ONE. FUCKING. THING.

I'm in agreeance with this, with two exceptions.

1. High-level lightsaber fights. This is the one thing the prequels nailed.

2. There's whispers of bringing Hayden Christensen back as a clone of Anakin. The thought of a fight between a young Dark-Side Anakin VS an old Luke Skywalker gives me chills up my spine.

I'm in agreeance with this, with two exceptions.

1. High-level lightsaber fights. This is the one thing the prequels nailed.

2. There's whispers of bringing Hayden Christensen back as a clone of Anakin. The thought of a fight between a young Dark-Side Anakin VS an old Luke Skywalker gives me chills up my spine.
I'm pretty sure Disney has snipers on hand in case Hayden tries to stumble his way onto any Star Wars set

I'm pretty sure Disney has snipers on hand in case Hayden tries to stumble his way onto any Star Wars set

Lol ;)

Of all the weird fan theories about future movies, if written and directed correctly, it really could be awesome.

You know, I actually don't mind Hayden's Anakin as much as most people (except for those cringe worthy love scenes), but I'd really prefer to not bring any characters back as clones. Just cheapens the impact of their story arc. Anakin Skywalker is gone, and let it be that way please!

Lets build new characters that have the same gravitas (which really shouldnt be too hard considering Anakin's character wasn't that great).

Just saw this on YT last night. Someone took the music from the trailer for The Force Awakens and made new trailers for all the movies.

I'm posting the trailer for The Empire Strikes Back since that one is my favourite. Not sure if already posted. They're all pretty well done. Makes me actually want to watch them again, even those 3 other movies

We have the exact same thoughts on the two saber battles. I thought the Finn/Ren battle was better then Rey's because it made Kylo look formidable. Plus that cool spin move he shows off. I hated that he destroys Finn with his superior saber technique, then slashes at Rey like a drunken brawler. It's inconsistent.

They set up Kylo's wound and showed it twice to emphasize its hinderance. Yet I don't understand why they couldn't have Rey attack it, like during their saber struggle. That would show two things:

-The wound really did play a huge factor in his loss. The next time he'll be fully healthy and ready to beat her.
-It's shows Rey's ability to survive. She spent 15-16 years on Jakku, barely surviving day by day. She had to have picked up a few dirty tactics on her time there.

We have the exact same thoughts on the two saber battles. I thought the Finn/Ren battle was better then Rey's because it made Kylo look formidable. Plus that cool spin move he shows off. I hated that he destroys Finn with his superior saber technique, then slashes at Rey like a drunken brawler. It's inconsistent.

They set up Kylo's wound and showed it twice to emphasize its hinderance. Yet I don't understand why they couldn't have Rey attack it, like during their saber struggle. That would show two things:

-The wound really did play a huge factor in his loss. The next time he'll be fully healthy and ready to beat her.
-It's shows Rey's ability to survive. She spent 15-16 years on Jakku, barely surviving day by day. She had to have picked up a few dirty tactics on her time there.

Like Ive mentioned before, I think the best thing they could have done was when Kylo leans in close to her, she somehow uses a hand to get out the blaster Han Solo gave her and shoots him in the gut point blank, then goes ass-whuppy on him. Woulda worked better IMO. Hes already hurt, now he's completely jacked up. Plus you get the whole Has Solo revenge from the grave and a dirty smuggler tactic saving the day. Plus he's taken multiple laser shots through his gut and doesn't die, thereby still making point of his badassery. You've already established her proficiency with the force, the last beat wasn't necessary.

Last edited:
Just saw this on YT last night. Someone took the music from the trailer for The Force Awakens and made new trailers for all the movies.

I'm posting the trailer for The Empire Strikes Back since that one is my favourite. Not sure if already posted. They're all pretty well done. Makes me actually want to watch them again, even those 3 other movies.

Another thing, is it unfair to compare any new Episode to Episode V: ESB? In reality ESB will always be the Terminator 2 of the Star Wars franchise. I contest ESB is an incredible movie in general with something for everyone. The action, cinematography, characters, plot, pacing, setting, and Hoth/Dagobah/Cloud City scenes were all uniquely special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back