Star trek: picard

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Deicide030, Apr 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

1. Deicide030

Deicide030 Doo dah Doo Doo

Thoughts? Grievances? Personally i can't wait..uber fan of tng..needed a fix and started deep space nice...

2. Not A Theist

Not A Theist Green Belt

I'm hopeful, but with the recent tone shift in the Star Trek world I'm concerned. TNG was a hopeful, slow moving, thoughtful endeavour which spoke of a utopian future that was (sometimes) under duress, but always against a backdrop of a really positive vision. Today's Star Trek is more nuanced, dark, and overtly dramatic.

The show could be great, but I'm worried it'll be a far cry from the Trek I grew up with, and have a Picard who isn't the optimistic intellectual type we knew in TNG. The optimistic enlightenment values which were at the core of his character are under fire in a big way these days, culturally, and I worry if the show will try and capture that rather than just indulge itself in Roddenberry's dream of a utopian future.

Silverblur likes this.
  3. Not A Theist

Not A Theist Green Belt

I'd say that Picard was more of a classical liberal than an SJW'er. The guy has episodes where he's arguing for the defense of free speech and personal liberties, he suggests to Wesley that reading old philosophy (Henry James? Locke? Can't remember who) gives "this all meaning" when an SJW'er would denounce it as the words of dead white men, and he seems to have a relatively set view of what goodness and truth are - whereas the SJW position is predicated on positionality and explaining "your truth" rather than "the truth." Picard also had a staunch defense of empire (the Federation) at the core of his character. What's more, the whole Star Trek project of exploration reeks of an age of discovery attitude that was a precursor to colonialism, which the SJW crowd is pretty hostile to these days.

There are places where it gets muddy, but Picard screams "enlightenment intellectual" to me more than SJW'er. I'm not sure TV today is willing to treat a character like that without a cynical edge.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019 at 12:46 PM
  4. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

They're coming out with a movie of Peckerhead?

5. syct23

syct23 ...ElipsisBelt...

Dude had sex with cgi's..

He was one of us

Deicide030 likes this.
  6. Deicide030

Deicide030 Doo dah Doo Doo

Sir Patrick stewert didn't want to return to the same trek he ended all those years back, im hopeful this series delivers in a way discovery never did

7. Not A Theist

Not A Theist Green Belt

Well, I hope it doesn't end up like the vanity project of some older musician who makes a new album years into his retirement that has fans excited, and then ends up letting them all down when the style is something way different than what they knew of the author's earlier work. If Stewart wants to re-invent Picard and Trek, he'd better do a bloody good job of it, because it really wasn't broken and doesn't need fixing.

Silverblur likes this.
  8. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

Picard in the new series better be like TNG Picard with like better beats and wiser, more insightful lyrics.

Not autotuned trap music Picard with rainbow dreads and Federation tats on his face.

9. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

Shut up Wesley