Staph Infections & BJJ

Randy Marsh

by armbar
@Silver
Reaction score
After witnessing Kendall Grove's gruesome staph infection video that's been floating around the Internet, it had me curious.

How common is staph infections in BJJ schools? If you train BJJ, is staph a common problem among some students? Has me kinda worried, as I've been thinking of taking up BJJ but don't wanna run the risk of ever catching staph. I know there's always that chance when training on mats and grappling but would like to know if this is a common thing or more of a rare occurrence.

Your insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

In any sort of martial art I think you run the risk of staph. This being said I'm pretty sure the risk is higher in BJJ because of how close you are to other sweating guys.

The risk is high if your mats aren't being bleached every day or if your school knowingly lets people with staph/ringworm train before its cleared up...bleach costs like $3 and it only takes 5-10 minutes to mop, so insist your school mops everyday...if they refuse, get the hell out

If you're interested in some preventative measure of staph, check out my review of Defense Soap (in my signature).

I've had impetigo once. So it's not too bad. As long as the mats are cleaned and you roll with clean people, you should be fine.

Lick the mats before every session to build up an immunity. j/k

I havent had it yet but we do have the mts mopped before class tho at the MMA gym ive not seen it done there yet?? People should be smart enough to now if what they've got could pass on - ive trained with a cold but that was to help get rid of it - and that could be classed as stupid.

I know this may sound different, but I have 2 kids and when we used to change their diapers, we used to useA & D Zinc Oxide Cream. It's good stuff. It kinda creates a layer of protection that's waterproof. I always rub this on my arms, all around my neck & face before class. Also when I train, I wear a tight rashguard under my gi and also long sports underwear.

A+D

After seeing that video, I could understand. Clean your workout gear after every training session, keep nails trimmed, do not share towels, shower asap after practice..if not able to use a skin sanitizer that does not have alcohol Home | Athletic Body Care , and if anything comes up up you are not sure of get it checked out!

I have had staph and ring worm and I got both of them when I put off takin a shower for many hours after training. I would always try to shower before training if possible, if not just wash hands and maybe rub some hand sanitizer on skin that will be exposed during training. I also carry disinfectant wipes and I wipe down all my gear when Im done with it too, before it even goes back in my bag. I have about an hour drive home from my bjj gym so before I leave I always put hand sanitizer on my arms, legs, hands feet. Then when I get home I shower off with Dial antibacterial soap which is really cheap. And ive never had anything since...hope I dont get anything again either...my hospital bill for my staph infection was $1000...not to mention very painful

It's all very dependent on your personal hygiene and how clean your school is. But there is always a risk no matter what. BJJ isn't the only sport that runs the risk of Staph or MRSA. I know plenty of football players that have gotten it in their locker room and stuff.

honestly, it's more of an mma/no gi thing than bjj. another benefit of the gi..

Thanks people. Lots of great advice. Now I know to stock up on sanitizer solution at Costco before enrolling in BJJ classes.

If you're interested in some preventative measure of staph, check out my review of Defense Soap (in my signature).

I've had impetigo once. So it's not too bad. As long as the mats are cleaned and you roll with clean people, you should be fine.

ugh, I had impetigo too. I felt like such a dirtbag. plus I looked like a meth head at the ripe age of 21 (because I kept picking at spots) and was working in Reno for the summer :icon_lol:

tell me if your experience was different, but at first I thought I was just breaking out, and doing a piss poor job at popping my pimples (I barely had any acne growing up, so I didnt know what to expect from a break out) but then they all turned to scabs...

ugh, I had impetigo too. I felt like such a dirtbag. plus I looked like a meth head at the ripe age of 21 (because I kept picking at spots) and was working in Reno for the summer :icon_lol:

tell me if your experience was different, but at first I thought I was just breaking out, and doing a piss poor job at popping my pimples (I barely had any acne growing up, so I didnt know what to expect from a break out) but then they all turned to scabs...

I didn't really notice it until they were all scabby. I only had it on my legs.

Lick the mats before every session to build up an immunity. j/k

I havent had it yet but we do have the mts mopped before class tho at the MMA gym ive not seen it done there yet?? People should be smart enough to now if what they've got could pass on - ive trained with a cold but that was to help get rid of it - and that could be classed as stupid.

Staph is a bacterium that exists naturally on the surface of your skin, so all it needs is an entry point. You don't have to be rolling with a guy who has a giant, puss- oozing sore to get staph, it's more about personal hygiene. And yes, if you have staph, don't roll until it's completely clear.

TS, if you're that worried about staph, then you straight shouldn't train. Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jits, all carry a risk of staph. If you practice good hygiene, and the gym you go to is adequately clean (IE mats disinfected after every class), then you shouldn't be too worried. I got cellulitis (a form of staph) my 1st summer training, because my knees weren't used to mat burn, and that was the entry point. I had to take the bus home, so I couldn't shower right away; if you find yourself in a similar situation, use purell after you're done training, and then shower ASAP afterwards.

I still don't get it, I'm a judoka and have pretty training for about 4 and a half years and have never once caught staph or ringworm or anything (I will now after posting this but you get the point). Nor have I heard of any of my training partners having this, and I train on a military base and we have guys coming in and out all the time. Never once heard of staph or ringworm etc. Why does it seems to be so prevelent in bjj?

I still don't get it, I'm a judoka and have pretty training for about 4 and a half years and have never once caught staph or ringworm or anything (I will now after posting this but you get the point). Nor have I heard of any of my training partners having this, and I train on a military base and we have guys coming in and out all the time. Never once heard of staph or ringworm etc. Why does it seems to be so prevelent in bjj?

Maybe I should take Judo instead. :)

Maybe it's because in BJJ much more time is spent on the ground and up close and personal in positions like side control, mount etc.

Maybe it's because in BJJ much more time is spent on the ground and up close and personal in positions like side control, mount etc.

Maybe so but you still get up close and personel in judo as well.

I'm convinced it's all those ugly ass patches bjj guys put all over their gi's. You can't tell me staph etc.. isn't attracted to it. Just waits in the mats until it see's a patch highway into the human body. Just the grappling god showing you buttscooters the error of your ways:icon_twis

Remember kids the cure for staph and skin dieases is judo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back