Standup Techniques applicable/not applicable in MMA

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Nam42589, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Nam42589

Nam42589 White Belt

So the main standup techniques used in MMA are

Muay Thai
    Dutch Kickboxing
    Boxing
    Few fighters using Tae Kwon Do and Capoeira

I was wondering if people could discuss about what techniques are seemed not as much applicable in MMA. I am sure some purists will come in and defend/argue specific techniques. This can be a good place to discuss those.

For example, in boxing you see a lot of "pot shots" and dipping the head really low. This would not be as applicable in MMA because the ref doesnt break up a clinch right away and if your head is too low, you can get kicked/kneed in the head.

I dont see a lot of Thai Clinch in MMA either (but there are few instances like Anderson Silva/Rich Franklin, Jose Aldo uses a form of thai clinch to defend takedowns, Matt Brown has used styles of the clinch in close range). Let me know what you guys think.

Similar post in the grappling section also for wrestling, bjj, etc.

2. TheStallion

TheStallion White Belt

for me, I won't say that it is not applicable. Some moves might be risky to be used in MMA, but I think that if you know the timing on using those moves, you could have give your opponent a surprise unorthodox move..

3. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Everything works under the right circumstances.
    There are TONS of pot shotters in the UFC it is actually the best way of striking without getting taken down Machida, Anderson and others defend TDs mainly through pot shotting and moving.
    You can't clinch purely defensively without being a good wrestler in MMA but putting your head down after strikes and going into the other guy is basically what 99% of the wrestlers do to shoot for TDs.
    Werdum uses the Thai clinch in every situation possible. Anderson uses the Thai clinch often, Matt Brown does, Overeem does and many others.
    Anderson didn't only use it vs franklin but vs Okami, vs Bonnar, unsuccesfully vs Weidman, vs Leben and probably in many other UFC fights but I'm not sure at the moment.

4. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think that's the one thing that's become most clear to me.

5. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Banned Banned

Machida and Silva also both have the advantage of being a southpaw which means that when fighting orthodox opponents, it is harder to hit a double and take them down.