standup review-lawler v smith

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
wanted the forums thoughts on the fight, i know it was not concluded; but i would like to get feedback on the fight for what it was, what we had seen.

i think lawler really has refined his game; he loooks like a totally different fighter in regards to standup, he still has the power, exp and the chin. But to me he looked very disciplined and cerebral in his standup; smith is noone's tech, still robbie was using smart footwork, using the jab, mixing up his shots, and showed excellent ability to slip/block/catch and parry shots. At one point smith opened up w/a flurry and lawler stood in the pocket slipping, blocking, parrying and dipping away from shots. Once again smith is pretty basic, but u never see that kind of poise or skill in mma.

i thought smith looked better, he was still predictable and basic; but he was moving his hands more, actually using a variety of strikes and not just plodding along. I don't he makes it out the 3rd; but he seemed competent standing and alot more active off, def he's a punching bag..one w/one punch ko power.

thoughts/opinions

good fight both had the other hurt but...

scott smith got his ass kicked

Smith is a tough bastard.

Never seen anyone take so many powershots from lawler and survived.

Yeah...from the point of view of just enjoying the fight it was a good fight. Smith I met at the filming for Elite XC and he seemed like a really cool guy, but I did talk to him for only a few minutes. He proved that he is one tough person.

I think Lawler broke his hand, looked like he stopped throwing it and after the fight was stopped he was holding it with his other hand as if it was injured.

Lawler has become very patient and efficient. Its nice to see how his striking game has evolved.

I'm disappointed that Smith doesnt at least try to follow some kind of a game plan. Smith is tough but won't have a long career if he keeps this style up.

Lawler has become very patient and efficient. Its nice to see how his striking game has evolved.

I'm disappointed that Smith doesnt at least try to follow some kind of a game plan. Smith is tough but won't have a long career if he keeps this style up.

c/s

as archie moore said u only have soo many hard fights in u, an smith has made his last 4 fights very very hard; he took a huge beating against sell, was beat up and choked out by herman, picked apart by noke b4 scoring the ko and being picked apart, while being beat the f*ck up by lawler. Two of these fights were against guys who are known as huge strikers, physical fighters.

smith has a chin, heart and durability; but he won't be here 2-4yrs from now if he proceeds to MAKE every fight a war, he will always be exciting and have opp because of his power and style of fighting. But he won't be able to compete at the highest or second highest level if he is gonna just depend on toughness and power, he could be a legit contender; but is on his way to journeyman at this rate.

an he has been in long enough to at least try to diversify his standup and be more active; not being as predictable and methodical would really help him in at least not being such a target, if u can make someone have to be def aware, they can't just potshot u, which is exactly what happens to him 95% of the time

^ he had to promise Ganyao that he would at least wait a little bit before going nuts on Noke.

Doesnt seem like Smith can contain his aggression, which is interesting because its seems like Lawler has. That seems to be the big difference between their striking and probably why Lawler was winning and will continue to do so.

I also really liked how Lawler stayed in the pocket during that flurry.

In addition I liked how after Smith kneed Lawler a few times, Lawler clinched up and started throwing those mean hooks and uppercuts. Serious what a badass

All in all I enjoyed the clash of dirty boxing vs. thai clinch

But yeah I agree too, Smith probably would not have made it out of the 3rd round

^ he had to promise Ganyao that he would at least wait a little bit before going nuts on Noke.

Doesnt seem like Smith can contain his aggression, which is interesting because its seems like Lawler has. That seems to be the big difference between their striking and probably why Lawler was winning and will continue to do so.

Yes, Lawler has really become patient with his boxing - like when Smith attemped that superman punch and Lawler had the smarts to backpedal and go for an openning. I can't see the Lawler of Olde doing something like that lol

I think the big difference in the striking was that Lawler has hands and Scott doesn't. Scott has power but not close to the skill level Lawler is.

wanted the forums thoughts on the fight, i know it was not concluded; but i would like to get feedback on the fight for what it was, what we had seen.

i think lawler really has refined his game; he loooks like a totally different fighter in regards to standup, he still has the power, exp and the chin. But to me he looked very disciplined and cerebral in his standup; smith is noone's tech, still robbie was using smart footwork, using the jab, mixing up his shots, and showed excellent ability to slip/block/catch and parry shots. At one point smith opened up w/a flurry and lawler stood in the pocket slipping, blocking, parrying and dipping away from shots. Once again smith is pretty basic, but u never see that kind of poise or skill in mma.

i thought smith looked better, he was still predictable and basic; but he was moving his hands more, actually using a variety of strikes and not just plodding along. I don't he makes it out the 3rd; but he seemed competent standing and alot more active off, def he's a punching bag..one w/one punch ko power.

thoughts/opinions

I actually think Lawler is kind of chinny. Does anyone else see what I do?

I'm not a striking expert or anything, but I think that was the first time I have seen lawler use body kicks and I thought every one he threw was very effective.

scott was at fairtex in bangkok in january when i was there, he is a hard worker and is improving his standup all the time, also a great guy but learning takes time,hes still young.

i have the same problem as Smith. i too have a habit of just throwing one strike at a time.

looking foward to the rematch

I think smith is trying to hard to knock his opponents out, the knockouts will come more often when you relax and stop trying so hard, throwing nothing but bombs forces your opponent to become more offensive and makes them harder to hit.

Back