Standing next to Cristiano, you can see Conor is no A level athlete.

soccer-dive-headbutts.gif

hahahahahha this just ended the thread.

Question is did Conor help Ronaldo oil up for that pix. Not sure if you can abs like that without PEDs.

Given that there hasn't been an official cross-sectional comparison between basketball players and MMA fighters, I suppose I was mistaken in my choice of adverb. That said, LeBron is 6'8 270 lbs. of coordinated, highly conditioned fast twitch muscle. The most widely accepted athletic gauges involve vertical leaps, sprints, reflex, body control and coordination. I base this on the exercises that athletes are required to perform in combine and scouting evaluations as well as the exercises that MMA fighters perform at the behest of their conditioning coaches. I'd be shocked if there are any MMA athletes capable of replicating LeBron's numbers.

Do you honestly believe that there is a single MMA fighter who wouldn't kill to have LeBron's physical gifts?

Well, considering the pay difference between LeBron and MMA fighters, of course they'd love to have his physical talents.

But you're assuming that his basketball-related skills would easily transition to MMA, and I don't think they would. A basketball player is not a cage fighter and vice-versa. You cite his coordination and "fast twitch muscle" but I'd argue there are tons of MMA fighters with better reaction times. Look at some of the counters that are landed. Perfect placement, perfect timing, and a lot of power. You think LeBron could replicate Stephen Thompson's skillsets in 2 years of training? Come on. Bein g a basketball player at the highest levels gets you in shape for basketball, and being an MMA fighter gets you in shape for fighting. I'd argue there's a ton of styles that LeBron's 6'8" frame simply wouldn't be good for. MMA is not basketball. It's a very dynamic sport with many different styles and techniques. To make a blanket statement like "Do you honestly believe that there is a single MMA fighter who wouldn't kill to have LeBron's physical gifts?" is simply disingenuous. You have no way of knowing that every single MMA fighter in the entire world would want LeBron's physical gifts. The skills you list are indeed good indicators of athleticism - for basketball. In MMA, you don't do a lot of jumping. You don't do a lot of sprinting. You do, however, do a lot of grind work (clinch, takedowns, TD defense). You do a lot of momentum shifts, fakes, and counters. You throw punches, kicks, knees, and elbows. None of those skills are listed in your definition of "athleticism" and I'd rather be hit by a guy with LeBron James' physical gifts than a guy with Junior dos Dantos' physical gifts, so while endurance certainly matters, jumping higher than your opponent is not much of a benefit.

Well, considering the pay difference between LeBron and MMA fighters, of course they'd love to have his physical talents.

But you're assuming that his basketball-related skills would easily transition to MMA, and I don't think they would. A basketball player is not a cage fighter and vice-versa. You cite his coordination and "fast twitch muscle" but I'd argue there are tons of MMA fighters with better reaction times. Look at some of the counters that are landed. Perfect placement, perfect timing, and a lot of power. You think LeBron could replicate Stephen Thompson's skillsets in 2 years of training? Come on. Bein g a basketball player at the highest levels gets you in shape for basketball, and being an MMA fighter gets you in shape for fighting. I'd argue there's a ton of styles that LeBron's 6'8" frame simply wouldn't be good for. MMA is not basketball. It's a very dynamic sport with many different styles and techniques. To make a blanket statement like "Do you honestly believe that there is a single MMA fighter who wouldn't kill to have LeBron's physical gifts?" is simply disingenuous. You have no way of knowing that every single MMA fighter in the entire world would want LeBron's physical gifts. The skills you list are indeed good indicators of athleticism - for basketball. In MMA, you don't do a lot of jumping. You don't do a lot of sprinting. You do, however, do a lot of grind work (clinch, takedowns, TD defense). You do a lot of momentum shifts, fakes, and counters. You throw punches, kicks, knees, and elbows. None of those skills are listed in your definition of "athleticism" and I'd rather be hit by a guy with LeBron James' physical gifts than a guy with Junior dos Dantos' physical gifts, so while endurance certainly matters, jumping higher than your opponent is not much of a benefit.

Jon Jones is universally cited as the figurative Testerosa of fighter bodies in that aside from having a comprehensive skill set, he also possesses a unique frame perfectly suited for combat. LeBron is similarly built but with a larger natural frame. As for his physical attributes, I would contend that basketball requires a great deal of agility, pacing and momentum shifting. I'm not saying that basketball skill translates to MMA skill nor am I even saying that LeBron would run roughshod over the heavyweight division with minimal training. I am suggesting that a 6'8 270 lb. guy with long limbs, great balance and tremendous coordination could take well to fighting. Deontay Wilder transitioned from basketball and medaled in the Olympics with a little over 2 years of formal training. Sure, he has talent but let's not pretend that his size and length don't factor into his success. I love MMA and I would never suggest that athletes in other sports could hang with MMA fighters in the cage. However, I do believe that there are levels of athleticism that we haven't yet seen in MMA.

It's something that some Sherbros say when they want to degrade MMA fighters. What they fail to realize is that MMA fighters aren't playing soccer (football) or basketball or American football or any other sport. They're fighting. In a cage. And the way your body looks means literally nothing, because we've seen Alistair Ubereem get KTFO'd by a guy like Ben Rothwell. Physique doesn't mean shit. The better fighter goes out there and wins the fight. I'd consider anyone who can routinely fight for 25 minutes and be ready for another round or five to be an "A-level athlete" but some Sherbros disagree. They really believe that if Lebron James trained MMA for 2 years he'd be a champion. Nevermind the fact that he's so good at basketball because he's been playing his whole life. Never mind the fact that some fighters have been training their whole lives. Never mind the fact that Lebron probably wouldn't enjoy getting punched in the face. None of that matters, apparently. If you're super ripped, you'll win fights.

Because critical thinking is difficult for some people on this site.

well said

He can kick a ball around...surely he would destroy the best fighters in the world..

Provided he gets six months worth of wrestling training, that is. He already has world class kicks and movement, so that settles it. Maybe throw in some punching training, just to be on the safe side.

No. You can improve your shot, dribble, cardio, etc.. You can't improve your toughness/heart, which is what sets cobat sports apart from anything else. They aren't games. Skill isn't everything. You need grit too.
If MMA fighters were good athletes they'd get into a sport where they're guaranteed way more money.

You've gotta be kidding me.The guy dominates a sport where you can't use your hands for God's sake, and guys all flop around like there were snipers in the audience. Conor is a 145er. Get a pic of Ronaldo standing next to Lesnar and tell me who the A-level athlete is.

If MMA fighters were good athletes they'd get into a sport where they're guaranteed way more money.

Because kicking a ball around a field is so fascinating for someone with an IQ over 90. lol

Back