Standing next to Cristiano, you can see Conor is no A level athlete.

Wheel kicks, sprawls and scrambles all take athleticism as well. How well you can perform them are all a measure of athleticism. Why is how high you can jump for a dunk of greater value in determining athleticism than any of those other movements and abilities? Again I ask you, what is it that "objectively makes Lebron a better athlete"?

Right but they require skill and instruction to learn unless you believe that Barboza was throwing perfect wheel kicks on his first day. Can LeBron throw a wheel kick right now? Probably not. Do I think he could learn at a faster rate than most? Absolutely.

wonder how much of an "athlete" Lawler is?

Who gives a shit hes a great fighter.

Nobody gives a shit what you 40 time is. Can you take a bomb, get your nose broke and get up off the stool for more?

Thats a fuckin fighter.
Yea man, how much of an "athlete" is Lawler?

You couldn't have picked a worse example, bruh.

Robbie-Lawler-493679825-588.jpg

So if you have a physique like Sage or Edson than you're an "A Level Athlete?"

Noted*

i think the top tier fighters are comparable with most other top tier athletes in terms of fitness and functional strength and stuff , theres just so many more top tier athletes in other sports because $$$$$$ :p

Bruh

Messi > CR7

And Messi is like 5'6''.

eh do you think chris froom or any tour de france riders have A level athlete physiques ?

No MMA fighters are A level athletes, MMA is a fallback sport for C & D level athletes. Ronaldo or Lebron would dominate with a year or 2 of full training.
No. You can improve your shot, dribble, cardio, etc.. You can't improve your toughness/heart, which is what sets cobat sports apart from anything else. They aren't games. Skill isn't everything. You need grit too.

No MMA fighters are A level athletes, MMA is a fallback sport for C & D level athletes. Ronaldo or Lebron would dominate with a year or 2 of full training.

A whole year of training? Just show him a Demian Maia highlight vid on youtube and he'll be good to go.

I don't like to generalise but American's seem far too preoccupied with athletic prowess, at least that's picture I get from sherdog.

In most sports athletic ability is nowhere near as important as skill, composure, dedication, MMA is no different.

Certainly true in football/soccer. Just look at Xavi and Pirlo. Hardly athletic.

Yup.

Stupid threads like this illustrate how stupid some people (the majority?) are. Pisses me off.

I am amazed how much importance is put on body shape and muscle definition in these forums. The mythical atlethism quality that can be judged by looking at your body. Sure that is something marketable, but compare Messi and Ronaldo bodies and conclude their soccer abilities. How dumb the whole argument is ?
Sure if you are strong as gorilla and have some basic fighting skills you can beat up smaller guys, will that make you the best ?

Ashton Eaton would be an A level athlete. He can run faster, jump higher and longer, throw further than 99% of people on the planet. The fucker can pole vault too

Sad thing is, guaranteed less then 3/4th's of sherdog even know who he is, let alone why being a decathlon athlete is probably the single hardest physical endeavor / displine of a sport to participate in.

Imo, A level starts at Decathlon and then trickles down.

I can't see that man passing the UFC's drug tests. Nothing about him looks natural.

What it does look like is Conor never used them steroids.

It would depend on the person. I doubt most soccer players would transfer over well, however I will say that learning kick boxing is relatively easy for me, and I think that had to do with the years of soccer. I already had the kicking movements down (turning the hips, whipping the leg, etc) so kicks already felt natural and I had power right from the start.

These never cease to annoy / mildly amuse me.

Aldo is a much more explosive and an overall better athlete than McGregor too.

His athleticism didn't really do much for him in his last fight though, other than allow him to land a punch after he was already KO'd.

So Phil Baroni is an A level athlete.

Back