Standing Lapel/Gi Chokes

TalkShowOnMute

dancingonthecorpsesashes
@Black
Reaction score
I'm really intrested in these, as they surely are hard to use effectively...

I recently saw this clip of George Sotiropoulos being choked out standing by Larry Papadopoulos. (alot of poulos in that sentence)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7o901FB3D4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7o901FB3D4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Baseball choke? Clock Choke? I can't really tell, someone more seasoned than myself can surely tell and enlighten me on the mechanics of this choke.

Videos of other standing chokes in competition or practice? Any standing chokes you use personally?

Was that a clock choke? Im so bad with the nams of gi chokes but it looked like he circled his arm around his head?

Looks like a modified baseball. I'm a fan of the baseball choke, even in no-gi, because it's easier to set up than others...at least that's been my experience.

Looks like a modified baseball. I'm a fan of the baseball choke, even in no-gi, because it's easier to set up than others...at least that's been my experience.

I'm not that familiar with the baseball choke except that an advanced blue baited me into a mean one by letting me thing I was passing to side from his half guard...next thing I knew the world was fading out.

Okuri eri jime but from the front

okuri_eri_jime.gif

Clock choke in BJJ? same name huh?

Wimpy gi chokes.

I hated gi until Draculino came to town, I have been training it now for 4 months and wish I had taken it up sooner, it really improved my all around grappling tremendously. I got my first 4 stripes in my first 2 months, but now to make the leap to blue I need to get down some solid finishes with the gi. Damn wimpy gi.

It looks like a cross collar choke to me.

I think he had a two handed grip on one side. Then his opponent ducked under so he basically was in the cross choke position.

I like to do this when people duck under my high collar grip from standing. It's simple enough to counter by pulling guard, but then you end up on top so it works as an indirect takedown basically.

Okuri eri jime but from the front

okuri_eri_jime.gif

Clock choke in BJJ? same name huh?

Here is my understanding:

The picture there isn't what we'd call a "clock choke", although it's essentially performed the same way. The difference is that the clock choke is performed with the opponent on his knees in a turtle position, and you circle your body around to his front to tighten it. (The rotation of your body is where the "clock" reference comes from.)

The names of the techniques don't really matter though.....each gym probably has its own names for things. As long as you understand what your coach is talking about when he shouts out "ninja-frog loop choke!"

Yeah, my coach likes to do that. If you defend the choke, you get swept/taken down. Pretty effective.

I hated gi until Draculino came to town, I have been training it now for 4 months and wish I had taken it up sooner, it really improved my all around grappling tremendously. I got my first 4 stripes in my first 2 months, but now to make the leap to blue I need to get down some solid finishes with the gi. Damn wimpy gi.

I'm not sure why you are talking about hating the gi, when I said wimpy "gi chokes". Unfortunately gi chokes do not help your overall grappling game. I train 50/50 gi and no-gi, I have no issues with gi training. Gi choke techniques are the most useless skill one can have for all around grappling on so many levels.

It looked like a baseball bat choke to me. he started both hands on one side and then slid one around to the other side and circled to finish it....that was slick.

as for me, I'm going to work this choke into my repitoire as I like to grab the back of the collar for most of my standing gi techniques.

Th only problem is the same with a normal clock choke if there is space for the knee to come in they can transition to an armbar. In this case he could fall back to an armbar.

I'm not sure why you are talking about hating the gi, when I said wimpy "gi chokes". Unfortunately gi chokes do not help your overall grappling game. I train 50/50 gi and no-gi, I have no issues with gi training. Gi choke techniques are the most useless skill one can have for all around grappling on so many levels.

Gi chokes are useless?

They have all sorts of practical application in real life, so that's enough for me.

All the basic ones work on any clothing that is at least a t-shirt. If you can't get them to work on regular clothing like that, then it's your fault for having bad technique with them.

Someone is crabby in their posts today.

Not sure how one can like gi, but hate gi chokes, as they are one of the only, at the least, one of the main, differences when wearing the gi. My coach believes they are key factors in developing grip strength and a general squeeze dexterity. I would assume not only knowing them, but how to defend them would be wise if training/competing in a gi, but also in no-gi/real world applications. Something to think about I guess.

Gi chokes are useless?

They have all sorts of practical application in real life, so that's enough for me.

All the basic ones work on any clothing that is at least a t-shirt. If you can't get them to work on regular clothing like that, then it's your fault for having bad technique with them.

hell when I'm having fun with friends in no gi and they are wearing old tshirts I loop choke the hell out of them.

Gi chokes are useless?

Sorry, I don't fully agree that most gi chokes are going to work nearly as effective on normal attire vs a gi. That being said, I would take a RNC if I had someones back than a gi choke from back in a real life situation. I'd rather work on armbars or triangles in guard vs a cross collar choke. I'd rather work a guillotine or anaconda in turtle position vs a clock choke. That's just my preference, I believe it's all around better for my game.

It's simply a cross collar choke with a slick set-up. You can see the guy slip his left hand to the opposite collar. Then he repositions his right hand to the other side, but keeps contact with the gi as he goes over the guy's head.

If it were baseball choke, his left hand would have to be on the right side of the opponent's head.

Back