Standing in the Guard - Posture, Grips, Drills, Counters and Opening (vid)

TrumpetDan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

I filmed my 3rd passing lesson and fit most everything I can fit inside a 10 min video of standing in the closed guard.

I am a little bummed with how parts of this came out. I could have taught (and demonstrated) the how to stand portion a lot better. When I redo all these videos as a brown belt ill do better. (and include my head in the shot when i stand haha)

Lesson 3 includes 2 Roger Gracie matches with narration.

Thanks. I'll have to watch these when I get home as my stand up passing has been horrid as of late. (been doing too many low smash passes for months)

same here, talkshow. the vast majority of my passes are low smash passes. ill have to check these out when i get home.

You're a fantastic instructor.

Any reason you don't like the cross grip sleeve control? One of the purples at my gym lives by it, I've always gone for whichever I can get.

Everytime I stood in guard, I got swept. I thought damn standing passes stuck! God I forgot about the sleeve grip. You da man trumpetdan!

Good stuff Dan. There are not many instructional videos of this quality being uploaded for free nowadays, not to mention, from purple belts.

Thanks!

Good stuff, I'm really enjoying your vids trumpetdan - keep it up! I've been shown a few variations for standing in guard and one of my favorites is to slip my right ankle slightly underneath me (if I'm stepping up with my left leg first). This is very subtle and is less telegraphed, it allows mobility for your left leg to step out while keeping your feet flat on the mat. I personally don't like to get up on my toes, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

At 4:18 you talk about some instructors teaching you to transfer the grip if they grab cross-sleeve. I understand time constraints for the lesson but it sort of sounds like you're waiving the option all together. The only time I've been told to use the transfer is when they refuse to let go of the hook under your leg after you've already turned your knee in (pigeon toe) to prevent the sweep. You transfer the grip so you can step out the other way. That's just how I was taught, maybe you have another option to share?

I was never told (or even tested) this, but just thinking about it - if you were to lean your weight to the side so you can push down on the knee (with a straight arm) while he's still under your leg, wouldn't it make that leg lighter? Would it be enough to give him a better opportunity to sweep or is the weight shift too small? I step back ala Saulo, I haven't tried pushing down with a straight arm before...

Not trying to bash by any means, just some constructive criticism and ideas. I understand that is not the scenario being demonstrated, it just sounded like you were against the sleeve transfer all together. Maybe that's the case? What's your take on the scenario I presented?

At 4:18 you talk about some instructors teaching you to transfer the grip if they grab cross-sleeve. I understand time constraints for the lesson but it sort of sounds like you're waiving the option all together. The only time I've been told to use the transfer is when they refuse to let go of the hook under your leg after you've already turned your knee in (pigeon toe) to prevent the sweep. You transfer the grip so you can step out the other way. That's just how I was taught, maybe you have another option to share?

Let me first answer this portion and then ill think about the other portions of your reply. I find the cross grip risky for when people want to take your back and arm drag that arm. I feel like it is easier to keep my shoulders square with him. Once he fails with the under hook sweep, i just push on the knee if i feel comfortable. If it works for you, it works for you though.

Here is the world champion of my belt and weight class as well. This back take I mentioned is one of his specialties. I ask all of my training partners to try this move with everything the have got. Super posture, cross grip strip and not transferring the sleeve have worked with success.

trumpetdan, you the fucking shit. i love your passing videos.

Excellent, thank you. Looking forward to seeing more videos after your honeymoon. Have a great time.

nice tutorial, I like the way you include a real world example at the end. Good stuff

Thanks again man. I told you in your other thread I had good success with posture and grips after L1 and L2 but couldn't pass. Last night I successfully passed using this with about 10s to go in my last roll of the night. Even turned my foot in when he underhooked my leg. And this all happened 3 feet in front of my instructor :D

I used this exact sequence to pass last night as well. :)

Nice man. Just don't try this on someone less experienced than you or we will have to flame you to death.

Let me first answer this portion and then ill think about the other portions of your reply. I find the cross grip risky for when people want to take your back and arm drag that arm. I feel like it is easier to keep my shoulders square with him. Once he fails with the under hook sweep, i just push on the knee if i feel comfortable. If it works for you, it works for you though.

Here is the world champion of my belt and weight class as well. This back take I mentioned is one of his specialties. I ask all of my training partners to try this move with everything the have got. Super posture, cross grip strip and not transferring the sleeve have worked with success.

Just to clarify; even if he holds on to the under hook (after the sweep already failed), you still push the knee as long as you feel comfortable doing so? If that's the case, when you lean your weight to straight arm, the weight transfer is not enough to compromise your position, which was one of my other questions.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you say though - keeping square with your opponent, posture and cross-grip strips are proven and it's what I've been taught as well. Just the one scenario I presented is where I'm told to cross-grip, but I guess it all comes down to the individuals preference and the options they were taught. The game changes frame by frame and if they don't let go of the under hook I cross-grip and pass the other way, once they let go of the under hook I transfer the grip back to the same side. Sometimes I find myself lingering with the cross-grip though, I'll have to be more conscious of that back take - thanks for the vid :icon_chee

Just to clarify; even if he holds on to the under hook (after the sweep already failed), you still push the knee as long as you feel comfortable doing so? If that's the case, when you lean your weight to straight arm, the weight transfer is not enough to compromise your position, which was one of my other questions.

I wanted to try this out in sparring before I posted a reply. Yes, this is what I do. When I locked out my arm I did not feel any noticeable shift in my weight which compromised my ability to counter the sweep. It seemed to minor to even matter as you lean for just half a second at most. It didnt feel as though the movement could be timed for a sweep.

Back