Standing Guard Pass...stepping over 1 leg off the guard break (vid)

TrumpetDan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Can anybody link a video of somebody breaking down stepping over your opponents leg to lead into crossing your opponents legs/taking the half guard off the hip escape when you try to cross the legs and taking the butterfly guard off the hip escape when you try to cross the legs are all things im looking for.

Ive watched nearly 30 videos and I cant seem to find anybody breaking this style of passing down. Im having trouble even knowing how to search for it. I am showing it on my next video lesson and it would be nice to review a few other perspectives other than my own before I do. I know it must be out there and this board is such a great help. Thanks!

Last edited:
wow...this thread sunk like a rock. haha

heres what I filmed:

to be fair, we were all waiting for that trumpet dan guy to make a video of it.

very nice.

thanks for that.

@ 2:47 you could go straight to the BJ Penn pass that Jeff Joslin shows on YT

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Like setting up a knee slide pass?

I break guard, stand up, put my right knee on my opponent's left hamstring for pressure, grab the right leg pants inside the knee with my left hand, force it straight down to the mat and step over it with my left leg, cross grip the collar with my right hand and then I do a knee slide pass. If they resist too much when I try to force the leg down to the mat, I quickly pass it to the other side and go around to knee-on-belly.

No YouTube at work but I'll look for a video of this when I get home.

Back