"stand us up, stand us up!" he says to Herb Dean

He didn't like how good it felt to be held by another man. It was bringing up feelings he didn't want to deal with in that moment.

Or, who cares? Conor is an opportunist. Saying that might A) get the ref thinking maybe he should stand it up, even for a second, or B) get mendes thinking that he might get stood up if he doesn't start recklessly going for stuff. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

There is just something about the fact that Mcgregor asked Herb Dean to stand him and Mendes up. Something about it that screams how helpless and desperate Mcgregor must have felt on his back, thinking he was about to lose.
Desperate enough to actually ask the ref to stand them up. So many people are ignoring that. It is almost a forfeit..."get this guy off of me, I can't fight like this, laying on the ground" mentality.
Sorry, but its hard for me to be a fan of somebody that asks for divine intervention when they are losing.
Am I alone here?
What other fights come to mind where a fighter is losing, desperate, and asks the ref for intervention somehow?

he's not the first guy to campaign for a standup. however it is lame, and should be a guaranteed way of ensuring that the ref does not stand them up.

and yes it shows mcgregor's insecurity on the ground.

Abel literally crying when Khabib took him down was the worst. Rogan hated that too lol.

He was so helpless that he stood up and proceeded to knock chad the fuck out

Wow you really sound like a crybaby. Yes, we all know that McGregor wanted to get stood up - he's a striker, not a JJ wizz or wrestler, but it seems like you fail to remember that he was able to get up and then TKO Mendes. McGregor fans are annoying as hell but the haters are even worse.

Conor didn't ask to get stood up until a good while had passed and Chad hadn't done anything. Once Conor asked to be stood up Chad started elbowing Conor and then Conor stopped asking.

I wouldn't say he was helpless off his back, it was more he wanted to stand so he could light Chad up. That and he talks constantly anyway, so I wouldn't put too much stock into this.

The whole of the quicker stand up is to promote action. Rounds are only 5 minutes and there are stupid restrictions already in place for ground fighting like no knees to the head. Given those limitations, if there is no action on the grounds such as when Mendes was LNPing conor, there should be a reset.

You think that no knees to the head favor ground fighters? Actually that favors strikers. Ask anybody who has half way descent ground control and they will tell you that they would love to be able to throw knees to the head of a clueless striker trapped on their back or turtled up trying to avoid back control.

Tells you all you need to know about where his mat skills are at.

Yeah, him getting up from under a top wrestler and KTFOing him is a good indicator of his mat skills when he decides to stop crying to the ref.

Not surprised since all he did off his back was throw elbows at the top of mendes head that Herb decided to ignore :icon_lol:

There is just something about the fact that Mcgregor asked Herb Dean to stand him and Mendes up. Something about it that screams how helpless and desperate Mcgregor must have felt on his back, thinking he was about to lose.
Desperate enough to actually ask the ref to stand them up. So many people are ignoring that. It is almost a forfeit..."get this guy off of me, I can't fight like this, laying on the ground" mentality.
Sorry, but its hard for me to be a fan of somebody that asks for divine intervention when they are losing.
Am I alone here?
What other fights come to mind where a fighter is losing, desperate, and asks the ref for intervention somehow?

So, Herb Dean is God?

Not surprised since all he did off his back was throw elbows at the top of mendes head that Herb decided to ignore :icon_lol:

"decided to ignore"? why wouldn't he? Elbows to the top of the head are not illegal.

terrible. pretty embarrassing for conor.

McGregor got up on his own and finished Mendes within 2 rounds.

Next thread.

Back