"stand us up, stand us up!" he says to Herb Dean

It was a mind game, just think about it. When Connor complained to the ref for the standup it made Mendez feel me needed to be more active. When Mendez decided to be more active and throw blows, Connor asked him if that's all he had (Chad said this later in an interview). Then he went for the guillotine (once again to be more active) and Connor as VERY prepared to escape. I missed some of the nuances of his escape, and it just looked like a scramble until I watched the breakdown, and now I am much more impressed. It seems that Connor specifically trained for the Alpha Male signature choke, and that is why he escaped. The rest is history.

i'm a big Mendes fan. Had him winning that matchup.

He lost.

Cleanly.

Icestorm.gif

LOL Amazing gif.

I too thought Mendes would ruin Conor, but I said from the start that Conor winning is better for the sport. If Anderson Silva is celebrated for his first win over Chael, I fail to see why Conor shouldn't get the same credit.

Mendes looked good until he didn't. He went for a bad submission attempt, and then couldn't survive 25 seconds on the feet to end a round he was winning.

I love strikers I am a striker but if you did something that stupid you would hardly ever have good scrambles and guys working for subs it's part of the sport sometimes you have to find that opening and it doesn't happen right away If there gsp lnp shit type fighting then yes stand them up but Mendes ???? Why stand him up because Connie has no ground game what so ever and wanted help from herb nah fuck that learn some bjj Connie your mouth won't get you by forever

The whole of the quicker stand up is to promote action. Rounds are only 5 minutes and there are stupid restrictions already in place for ground fighting like no knees to the head. Given those limitations, if there is no action on the grounds such as when Mendes was LNPing conor, there should be a reset.

I thought of it more like:

"This is going nowhere, can you stand us up so we can actually fight?"

This is how the Irish treat blacks. Ordering them around. It's offensive.

He said to herb "he's doing nothing... He's doing nothing" while Chad was thinking "I've gotta recover from those bodyshots".

He was obviously trying to keep Herb in Chad's mind and wanted to entice him to keep a reckless pace. Don't be a dummy TS.

Some guys don't like to get humped. They would rather stand and fight. If you have enough time and energy to talk to the ref than you are not really I that much trouble. You are most likely bored of being humped. He was pretty active off his back too.

Reaching there TS

Wow, I'm not a fan of either...but if you think the TS was reaching his with statements, your comment saying Conor asked the ref to stand them up because he was bored... Here's a crazy idea: If he was bored, he should have got up to do whatever it is that un-bores him.

Quit menstruating. It's just smart tactics. He did not really give a shit about getting stood up then and there. He just wants to plant the seed in the refs mind to pay close attention when he is on bottom and not to let a fighter stall out a round. Mendes was working hard and landing shots on top, so Herb did not stand anything up, which was the right call. Conor escaped on his own and won the fight fair and square.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts Conor is also friendly as fuck with all refs outside the cage and knows all about their families. I bet you he knows the names and ages of every kid of every referee.

Conor is playing chess not checkers, he is a very good tactician and strategist, and understands that it's a game of inches, and inches can be gained over time. Go look at any of the all time greats in sports with referees, and you will find quite a few people that were masterful at manipulating them. Michale Jordan was legendary for it.

http://www.andyandrews.com/the-jordan-effect/

Great post.

I love strikers I am a striker but if you did something that stupid you would hardly ever have good scrambles and guys working for subs it's part of the sport sometimes you have to find that opening and it doesn't happen right away If there gsp lnp shit type fighting then yes stand them up but Mendes ???? Why stand him up because Connie has no ground game what so ever and wanted help from herb nah fuck that learn some bjj Connie your mouth won't get you by forever
Loves striking. Hates punctuation.

There is just something about the fact that Mcgregor asked Herb Dean to stand him and Mendes up. Something about it that screams how helpless and desperate Mcgregor must have felt on his back, thinking he was about to lose.
Desperate enough to actually ask the ref to stand them up. So many people are ignoring that. It is almost a forfeit..."get this guy off of me, I can't fight like this, laying on the ground" mentality.
Sorry, but its hard for me to be a fan of somebody that asks for divine intervention when they are losing.
Am I alone here?
What other fights come to mind where a fighter is losing, desperate, and asks the ref for intervention somehow?

Is TS saying Herb Dean is God? Huge if true.

Playing with Mendes' head, that's what:s up.

Trolltricks etc.

No, frustration

Same way fighters get frustrated with McGregor trash talk and him pushing forward yet so many flaws when he is going forward but the fighters have already been broken and they just stand and freeze

There is just something about the fact that Mcgregor asked Herb Dean to stand him and Mendes up. Something about it that screams how helpless and desperate Mcgregor must have felt on his back, thinking he was about to lose.
Desperate enough to actually ask the ref to stand them up. So many people are ignoring that. It is almost a forfeit..."get this guy off of me, I can't fight like this, laying on the ground" mentality.
Sorry, but its hard for me to be a fan of somebody that asks for divine intervention when they are losing.
Am I alone here?
What other fights come to mind where a fighter is losing, desperate, and asks the ref for intervention somehow?

Dude, are you new to watching mma? Guys do that all the time. Guys that are mainly strikers, want the fight to be stood up, so they can employ their game. Plus, mendes wasn't doing shit. He was laying in Conor's guard. Throwing an occasional elbow now and then. What people seem to forget is, conor forced mendes to go for the submission, cause conor was eating him up with elbows from the bottom. He was hitting chad right on the top of the head over and over. Chad wanted no part of that.

Just look what happened when they did get up. conor stopped him 15 seconds later. hahaha

Dude are you SERIOUS? All this time I thought we were gonna see Aldo Mendes 3 in Vegas !

it's still possible. UFC has a fetish for sequels...

No, frustration

Same way fighters get frustrated with McGregor trash talk and him pushing forward yet so many flaws when he is going forward but the fighters have already been broken and they just stand and freeze

They freeze after they get hit and feel power they are not used to feeling. Conor hits about as hard as you can hit at that weight. That's simply a fact. His left hand is a freaken rocket. He doesn't even have to land it solidly to have an impact. Just a grazing shot has guys wobbling. People say, well, he gets hit alot. I say when exactly. all his fights end with in 2 rounds. 99% of his fights have ended in the very first round. How much punishment can he really take in 1 round? Of course he is going to get hit, he's super aggressive. He played it like rory mac, then i'm sure he'd hardly ever get it.

Desperate enough to actually ask the ref to stand them up. So many people are ignoring that.

Conor lovers will spin it into "you're butthurt still" and/or "it was his plan all along with the mindgames!"

Am I right or AmIRite?

Conor lovers will spin it into "you're butthurt still" and/or "it was his plan all along with the mindgames!"

Am I right or AmIRite?

He's a striker, he knew that he had a huge advantage on the feet and as long as he was on the bottom, time was ticking away. Plus, by constantly talking to the ref, he also gets in the refs head. and it may cause the ref to stand them up faster. No striker wants to be on the bottom..

I remember that part of the fight. Listening to Connor plead and cry about it was amusing. Chad would finish McGregor in the 3rd round if he had a full camp virtually every time.... maybe the 2nd. It wouldn't even be very competitive. The finish would come by way of turtle pound out or RNC when Connor rolls over to die.

Connor was just blessed with an opponent that was not able to train fully.

Connor is just way over hyped by a lot of bi-curious fan boys.

I think he was just falling asleep and thought the fans were too.

Back