"stand us up, stand us up!" he says to Herb Dean

Personally, I was surprised that pleading with the ref was Conor's first reaction to being stuck on his back. He did eventually throw some elbows but that was secondary to his initial reaction and only because Herb Dean laughed at him for asking for a free pass.

Not as desperate as Chad pleading with Herb to make the legal elbows to his exhausted head stop.

Good point. Hate it when guys have top control and whine about getting hit from the bottom. You took the guy down, you're holding him there, stop bitching about it or stand up.

If the guy on the ground is complaining to the ref his opponent should shut him up like this.

ykqyd.gif

Wait wtf I couldn't tear his knee out and try to cheat he must be greasing look ref oh ktfo get out of the spot harris

The stand up in MMA is pretty odd in general. It's completely at the discretion of the referee. If a hot crowd just starts booing like mad, the ref will stand it up without any other reasoning.

It is just smart tactics messes with Chad and keeps the Refs mind on the idea to stand it up which they are already looking for and gets them rushed to do it. At that level you should be doing everything you can. Everyone is making a big deal about chad not training full camp but Connor wasn't training for a wrestling match either. He trained the whole camp for a kick boxer.

McGinger was getting a butwhooping until Mendes gassed.. Props to him for getting the win, but it was obvious he has a lot of glaring weaknesses.

Just in case you forgot, Conor was injured before the fight and didn't train any wrestling, he also did 100 times the media which took away from training and its mentally draining, he also has been pretty honest thus far with everything, so no reason to doubt him. His wrestling and jitz looked ten times better against Holloway, I feel like if they fight again both healthy the fight is better for both sides, but everyone only talks about chads issues before the fight. I just feel like lets get over it and give credit where its due. Both had issues both had toubles, conor won chad lost, lets move on and get ready for the real fight everyone wanted to see Jose vs Conor, I wonder what the excuse will be if conor wins that fight?

If the guy on the ground is complaining to the ref his opponent should shut him up like this.

ykqyd.gif

There is a lot of anger behind those punches cause that is a dirty fighter. Wish he still fought like that. Nate the great.

There is just something about the fact that Mcgregor asked Herb Dean to stand him and Mendes up. Something about it that screams how helpless and desperate Mcgregor must have felt on his back, thinking he was about to lose.
Desperate enough to actually ask the ref to stand them up. So many people are ignoring that. It is almost a forfeit..."get this guy off of me, I can't fight like this, laying on the ground" mentality.
Sorry, but its hard for me to be a fan of somebody that asks for divine intervention when they are losing.
Am I alone here?
What other fights come to mind where a fighter is losing, desperate, and asks the ref for intervention somehow?
It is what it is, but I have to say, for a guy who was talking about resting his balls on Chad's head, yelling for a standup is a bit funny.

Nonetheless, he scrambled when he had to and found his own way out, en route to a finish. Credit to McGregor.

Connor was about to take Mendes' arm home...and deep down he didn't want to. He wanted the TKO...and duly got it!

There is a lot of anger behind those punches cause that is a dirty fighter. Wish he still fought like that. Nate the great.

iirc, he was losing the fight up to that point. Slipped the leglock/knee bar and when Paul Harris was complaining got the TKO.

Must suck waking up each day just seething over the outcome of that fight.

There is just something about the fact that Mcgregor asked Herb Dean to stand him and Mendes up. Something about it that screams how helpless and desperate Mcgregor must have felt on his back, thinking he was about to lose.
Desperate enough to actually ask the ref to stand them up. So many people are ignoring that. It is almost a forfeit..."get this guy off of me, I can't fight like this, laying on the ground" mentality.
Sorry, but its hard for me to be a fan of somebody that asks for divine intervention when they are losing.
Am I alone here?
What other fights come to mind where a fighter is losing, desperate, and asks the ref for intervention somehow?

Quit menstruating. It's just smart tactics. He did not really give a shit about getting stood up then and there. He just wants to plant the seed in the refs mind to pay close attention when he is on bottom and not to let a fighter stall out a round. Mendes was working hard and landing shots on top, so Herb did not stand anything up, which was the right call. Conor escaped on his own and won the fight fair and square.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts Conor is also friendly as fuck with all refs outside the cage and knows all about their families. I bet you he knows the names and ages of every kid of every referee.

Conor is playing chess not checkers, he is a very good tactician and strategist, and understands that it's a game of inches, and inches can be gained over time. Go look at any of the all time greats in sports with referees, and you will find quite a few people that were masterful at manipulating them. Michale Jordan was legendary for it.

http://www.andyandrews.com/the-jordan-effect/

And yet, Conor still managed to scramble, escape, and finish Chad.

Back