Stand Up with Bigger Opponents

Gojujutsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know there are probably previous posts on this but it is a two part question.

So my wife and I do jiu jitsu at a karate dojo that has a jiu jitsu instructor come and teach a class. The dojo's association's annual karate tournament is coming up and they've added jiu jitsu this year since several of their schools have added it ( I actually started out at one of those other ones). We really only work standup in the month leading up to a tournament and I had one question for me and one for my wife.

1- For me, at my first school, I wrestled with some guys that were taller than me, but my main training partner now is built much more like a tree while the other guys were lankier. I have a few techniques that gave me reasonable success against them, but will they work well against someone not only significantly taller, but also heavier and stronger than me, or are there other techniques i should try? For the record my two best techniques were a really bad Harai Goshi type throw where I got myleg alongside them and them just kept spinning and hopping around until they fell, and/or frustrating them into pulling guard and just passing the guard as they fell.

2- For my wife, she is quite small and because there will probably be very few people in the women's comp (we only know of 3 for sure), she may face someone with both a height and weight advantage. On of the 3 we know is going is about 10 inches taller and weighs 10-15 lbs more. She can pull guard very well (better than me), but we want a few other weapons in her arsenal. I just wanted to see if there were any female grapplers or guys who teach a women's class out there that know a few specific takedowns that have a decent success rate for a smaller, lighter girl?

Harai Goshi is just about the worst throw you could attempt on someone taller than you. Yamashita Yasuhiro said, "Harai Goshi is a throw primarily intended for a taller man to throw a shorter man" - that's why he specifically avoided it, and at 180cm he's probably taller than you.

Also, if you want to get good at even one throw or takedown training them only in the month before competition is not going to help much.

morote and ippon seoi nage are giant killer throws

When beginners are going for takedowns, the techniques that will work best are going to be the ones they practice most. Trying to strategize skill sets based on body types are things that should be reserved for college or Olympic level wrestlers, not absolute beginners. It would be like a person who barely knows how to swim asking about what kind of speedo would increase their speed.

If you suck at takedowns and Harai Goshi is your best move, then Harai Goshi is going to work the best against someone taller than you. It is also going to work best against someone shorter as well.

When beginners are going for takedowns, the techniques that will work best are going to be the ones they practice most. Trying to strategize skill sets based on body types are things that should be reserved for college or Olympic level wrestlers, not absolute beginners. It would be like a person who barely knows how to swim asking about what kind of speedo would increase their speed.

If you suck at takedowns and Harai Goshi is your best move, then Harai Goshi is going to work the best against someone taller than you. It is also going to work best against someone shorter as well.

This^^ If your wife is good at pulling guard then I would think she would work more on that and get even better at it. She could work on more ways to set it up. A month of training take-downs is very little time to get good at multiple techniques.

I like this. I'm able to hit it in Gi and No Gi. It was one of those techniques that came to me easier than others.

[YT]6Nac_wVua3E[/YT]

I'm 5'10" (177 cm) so he isn't taller than me by very much. I'm not a complete noob to trying to take people down, I did youth wrestling and have been training for 2 years. At my first school we never trained takedowns, but we still started standing up so I got some good practice. I got Harai goshi on our tallest guy (6'4") a little over half the time. I've done stand up with guys who were taller, shorter, heavier, lighter, same size, and done all right. Against all these other guys (I.e. Ones with even less stand up than me) I get a good number of takedowns and sometimes they pull guard on me, but they don't take me down. I have just never faced someone who was such an all around size difference. About 100 lbs and half a foot advantage for him.

Back