Stance transition to MMA from boxing/MT

Falcyon

White Belt
Reaction score
I've recently been trying MMA from a Judo/Boxing/MT background. Would you guys recommend the back heel touch flat onto the floor or raised slightly? I've seen a lot of MMA fighters with planted back heels, but I feel like it's a lot harder to move. But it does feel a lot more comfortable as I am flat-footed.

What are some pros and cons for a raised/unraised back heel?

depends on what technique you're doing at the moment

georges_st_pierre.jpg

GSP looks like he never plants his feet though

I was referring to someone like BJ Penn or KJ Noons. Or Anderson Silva or Jose Aldo.

GSP looks like he never plants his feet though

I was referring to someone like BJ Penn or KJ Noons. Or Anderson Silva or Jose Aldo.

are you fighting a shorter guy? taller? good boxer, good wrestler? are you gonna shoot? are you gonna kick? circle around and jab? are you anticipating a double leg from your opponent?

having your heel on the ball would depend on what action you'd be taking at the moment and your build/characteristics

IMO

Last edited:
are you fighting a shorter guy? taller? good boxer, good wrestler? are you gonna shoot? are you gonna kick? circle around and jab?

having your heel on the ball would depend on what action you'd be taking at the moment regardless

IMO

I can see that, in your opinion, which of the situations would intrinsically require the back heel to be raised?

I can see that, in your opinion, which of the situations would intrinsically require the back heel to be raised?

first one that jumps out of my mind is a right hand punch (orthodox).

Imo you are over thinking this a little bit.

Do whatever is comfortable and gives you the best balance, quickness, explosiveness and range of motion.

That is naturally going to be different for everyone.

Imo you are over thinking this a little bit.

Do whatever is comfortable and gives you the best balance, quickness, explosiveness and range of motion.

That is naturally going to be different for everyone.

Agreed. Experiment when you spar. Taking both Muay Thai and boxing, you should be used to very different sublties in footwork--including how wide and how planted that back foot is.

BJJ is undergoing a new idea that maybe closed guard isn't so effective in the cage as it is elsewhere. So they try new things.

Try new things. Also, James Toney's stance didn't work against Couture, but for me sparring at the gym, I do pretty well with my back foot up and my best foot forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, James Toney's stance didn't work against Couture
Only a very low, squared up traditional wrestling stance
would have helped Toney.

100% what SMW posted.

Only a very low, squared up traditional wrestling stance
would have helped Toney.

100% what SMW posted.

Ummm.... I really don't have anything to add to this conversation, but I must inform you good sir that your avatar is amazing.

Back