stance question

Token7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been really looking to improve my stance and positioning after being on this forum due to a whole lot of threads (boxing) based on this (thanks sinister,sully,disc,a many more). I come from a gym where my trainer doesn't emphasize much on your stance just put your foot here and here and then do this. lol sadly enough.

On external and internal rotation I was looking at a thread from way back and really was taking in this thought process and came to the conclusion I'm heavily external rotated. my knees tend to naturally point away and in my stance I obviously see the same thing. (hence why my trainer told me many times my lead hook is my strongest punch) now I know why.

#1 My question is to have a stronger cross.... should I physically try and turn my knees more inward and make my position mroe internally rotated? (feels uncomfortable but not sure if it's just something to get used to or something I shouldn't do)

#2 Also I didn't find a right anwser in the other thread but is this something to improve and focus on? or is this something you are born with and you cant fix and work on?

Kind of confused on the whole thing and didn't want to make a whole new thread but I figured it could also help other people who didn't see the previous ones.

Last edited:
You need to be able to turn your rear knee towards your lead one to have a stronger cross, yes. Same with the rear-uppercut.

And it absolutely can be fixed. But it can also be PREVENTED. However, the fixing of issues like this is what physical therapists do for a living. Until we athletic trainers step up to the plate and stop requesting of our athletes that they do shit that's physically impossible for them to do.

You need to be able to turn your rear knee towards your lead one to have a stronger cross, yes. Same with the rear-uppercut.

And it absolutely can be fixed. But it can also be PREVENTED. However, the fixing of issues like this is what physical therapists do for a living. Until we athletic trainers step up to the plate and stop requesting of our athletes that they do shit that's physically impossible for them to do.

So your rear foot on a 45' about? One of my trainers told me a while that my rear foot was like an L and was too far out. That's not what I want for a correct cross right?

And yes back in the day most trainers were an all in one....

45, and under your rear hip. They told you what was wrong correctly, but apparently aren't too interested in what is necessary to fix it.

I see too many people finding some measure of success with an "duck footed" stance to really balk at it. I think your "weak cross" has more to do with your weight distribution upon your stance and foot than where your knees point. I had a Cuban pro teach me to push my knees outward, which he did, and he had one hell of a right hand.... he also had the best left hook in the gym.

I'm guessing it is up to personal preference. I myself prefer having my rear foot point 90 degree away from the lead foot.

I see too many people finding some measure of success with an "duck footed" stance to really balk at it. I think your "weak cross" has more to do with your weight distribution upon your stance and foot than where your knees point. I had a Cuban pro teach me to push my knees outward, which he did, and he had one hell of a right hand.... he also had the best left hook in the gym.

I know you like your wide stance, and are doing a lot to hold onto it, but I don't really see a point in encouraging a DYSfunction of physiology. Can a guy who is duck footed have a decent right? Sure. You can shift all your weight over the lead hip, send your head towards the opponent (compromising distance), and have some weight on the rear hand. But why complicate it like that rather than learn to turn the rear hip, remain in position, and have a harder one? My own trainer is severely duck-footed, and he had a true enough right hand, and could land it on James Toney. But even he admits its not as good as his hook, and that he always had to roll after it because his recovery sucked. A Hall of Famer can say that. Personally, I'd rather a guy have BOTH options in their arsenal. Not be limited to one merely because of a physical characteristic that can be corrected.

I know you like your wide stance, and are doing a lot to hold onto it, but I don't really see a point in encouraging a DYSfunction of physiology. Can a guy who is duck footed have a decent right? Sure. You can shift all your weight over the lead hip, send your head towards the opponent (compromising distance), and have some weight on the rear hand. But why complicate it like that rather than learn to turn the rear hip, remain in position, and have a harder one? My own trainer is severely duck-footed, and he had a true enough right hand, and could land it on James Toney. But even he admits its not as good as his hook, and that he always had to roll after it because his recovery sucked. A Hall of Famer can say that. Personally, I'd rather a guy have BOTH options in their arsenal. Not be limited to one merely because of a physical characteristic that can be corrected.

You haven't updated on Mike in a while. Does he work fighters at Tacos or elsewhere?

Isn't that why we turn our foot and knee in when we throw the right?

Back