Stamina versus Endurance

879lexus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out the problem I have of 'gassing out' while rolling. I'm relatively new to BJJ and during the class, I start to gas. My breathing gets heavier and shorter. My muscles don't hurt, it's mostly my respirtory system needs air into my lungs. Is this a lack of Stamina or Endurance? I train 4 days a week for 1 hour. The guys in class tell me I need to start running on my days off.

yo. i have the same problem. Most of the time when i use my muscles more for moves than technique, i tend to gas out quicker. Maybe you should pace yourself better. But i like to go hard much like you.

so i would like to get more about this from people. I guess the best thing to do would be to wrestle wrestle wrestle until you get that conditioning.

I'm relatively new to BJJ and during the class, I start to gas.

If you are new to BJJ, you are probably not nearly as relaxed as you need to be. People are trying to choke you, the adrenaline shoots up, and you tense up. Adding cardio isn't a bad thing (and is certainly helpful), but it's probably not going to address your immediate problem, which is to relax.

Back