stamina for rolling cardio

cgracie14

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you do so you don't like impossibly tired while rolling?

before ppl flip their shit, I have seen other posts about this but people take it in a nutritional or weight lifting way..

SO how can I increase cardio or whatever so i don't get as tired while in class & after while we roll?? mind you i do bjj

since BJJ rolling is a full body workout, I would recommend adding some full body conditioning exercises like Burpees. As core strength is a major player as well, you could add in this little variation to really ramp up the challenge:

at the plank position of each burpee alternate each knee to elbow. During the jump up, bring knees to chest.

20 of these should have you gasping for air.

There's no cardio exercise that will help build stamina for rolling except for rolling.

SO how can I increase cardio or whatever so i don't get as tired while in class & after while we roll?? mind you i do bjj

How long have you been doing bjj? The reason that I ask is that beginners tend to gas themselves by expending their strength at the wrong time, so the way to fix this problem is very different from that of a mid-level blue who feels that they can't keep their intensity up after multiple rounds of rolling.

Pretty much been answered.

Rolling at 100% is probably the best thing to do, if you can do this 2 to 3 times a week that would be ideal.
Get better at BJJ and you will use your energy more efficiently.
Strength training can also be very beneficial, (especially for your core) as you will gas out a lot more quickly if you are constantly getting over powered by your opponent.

And yes, eating the right things a few hours before class will also help quite a bit.

I would read EZA'ss thread in the stickies. Conditioning stuff isn't really a huge interest to me, but I have been slowly reading through the thread and it's actually some pretty interesting stuff.

I would read EZA'ss thread in the stickies. Conditioning stuff isn't really a huge interest to me, but I have been slowly reading through the thread and it's actually some pretty interesting stuff.

I've got his book and have been implementing it for the past few months. His theory is like sanding down a spot on your car: you sand the area around it, not just the spot itself. As such, you train in other areas like slow-twitch, explosive, cardio, and this makes for better stamina: the way your body delivers oxygen, the efficiency it uses it, and how long it can continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you do so you don't like impossibly tired while rolling?

before ppl flip their shit, I have seen other posts about this but people take it in a nutritional or weight lifting way..

We're going to need some more information. If you're new 95% of the perceived conditioning problems you're having are mental. You just need to learn how to breathe, relax and economize your movement. If you're at a high level and competing, then it's a different ballgame.

But as others have said, there is no better way to improve your grappling stamina than grappling more.

it helps (especially if you are new) to try and pace yourself instead of using all your strength non-stop.

also, lately i have been doing burpees after class. i don't know if it helps me roll better but its hard. i'm trying to work up to 100.

Back