1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Ssdd's Log: Step by step walk the thousand-mile road

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ssdd, Aug 28, 2010.

1. ssdd Purple Belt

4/10
    7pm grappling: just did the drills, which was the same front headlock stuff from the past few weeks, plus a new escape from bottom. Hamstring felt ok, hurt in some positions, but took it super easy and didn't roll at the end

Went to gym afterward

Bench: 45x5, 85x5, 105x5, 125x3
    140x6x6

Chins: between bench sets bw x6x10
    Bw x15
    Bw x10
    Bw x10
    Bw x5 to make it 100 overall

Face pulls:
    42.5x15
    50x15x2

Did a few unweighted box squats but it didn't feel great

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. ssdd Purple Belt

4/13

7min on C2 rower
    6 chins

Bench: 45x5, 85x5, 105x5, 120x3
    135x5
    155x5
    175x3
    190x2
    190x2
    190x1
    190x1
    135x10

DB Rows:
    65x10x3 strict

Face pulls:
    50x15x4

Hamstring is still sore. Very annoying. I've taken off pretty much all week, foam rolled it, and try to put it through a full ROM a few times a day. It's the proximal medial portion of the hamstrings on my right leg. Hips felt really good the day after foam rolling, the best in a long time. Hoping it'll much better by Tuesday.

3. ssdd Purple Belt

4/14
    4x3min rounds jump rope. Not as rusty as I expected considering I have never gotten proficient at skipping rope.
    I will increase this day by day, or as many times a week as possible.

4. TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

Hope the hammy heals. Injuries are stupid and I hate them.

5. ssdd Purple Belt

Thanks man I hate them too. My self designed prilipins routine is stupid too I think, and probably misguided considering it is based on an article for managing volume and intensity intended for powerlifters, and also I think misuses daily undulating (variable resistance) periodization. I should be doing heavy days, medium days, and light days, but I have been misapplying that concept by having like heavy squat and light bench on one day, or light squat and heavy bench on one day, instead of overall heavy or overall light days.

I was talking to a coworker about training, he's a runner, but he actually brought up how important strength training is and asked me if I ever heard of starting strength *shocking*. He suggested I'd be better off lifting twice a week. I think he's probably right

6. ssdd Purple Belt

4/16 7pm kickboxing:
    Worked a bunch of kicks and partner drills blocking and returning. Sparred 3 rounds at the end. I was 162lbs after training so doing a tournament at 155 in June shouldnt be a problem. My hamstring is still painful in some positions. I think it might actually be a glute or piriformis strain or something because in knee flexion and hip extension with my feet close together it doesn't hurt at all. Only when my hips are open and I bend over does it hurt. It hurts most when I try to throw a left high kick too, if you can imagine the position of the hips at the top of that motion

7. ssdd Purple Belt

4/17
    7pm grappling: drilled a double leg takedown and then drilled sweep from guard. Rolled a few rounds tried to take it easy. Hamstring hurt at end of class but seems serviceable. I'll probably feel it tomorrow.

Went to gym after

Bench: 45x5, 85x5, 100x5, 115x3
    125x5
    145x5
    165x9
    145x5
    125x11

Chins: between bench sets bw x6x9 varying grips each set

Bw x10x3 pronated
    Bw x10x2 supinated

Brought a band to work and have been doing pull aparts and lateral raises for the supraspinatus anytime I have a free minute

8. ssdd Purple Belt

4/18
    8am 5 3min rounds jump rope

mostly standard two feet at once but also alternating, and high knees and buttkicks half of last round

Tried a little running about 20 yards back and forth between the first and second round, starting at a jog and trying to add speed after each turn to see if my hamstring could handle it. Faster I went the more it hurt so I just left it at that

9. ssdd Purple Belt

4/19
    7pm Kickboxing: bag training class, pretty hot and exhausting

8pm grappling: drilled some takedowns and sweeps then rolled a bunch of rounds.
    Hamstring is ok in most positions and the glute piriformos stretches don't hurt it nearly as bad so I have hope that it will heal

10. ssdd Purple Belt

4/20
    2min C2 warm-up, starting sweating pretty fast and my right knee started doing this weird popping thing
    Hip flexor stretches, 10 squats, 10 35lb goblet squats

Front squats: 45x10, 75x10, 95x10, 115x10

SOHP: 45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 90x3,
    100x5
    115x5
    125x4 wtf?
    110x5
    95x8

Chins: between press sets bw x6x9

DB Rows:
    70x10x3

BB Curls:
    50x10x2
    40x10

Side lying external rotations:
    5lb plate x25x3

Hamstring pretty sore on front squats. Tried some DLs with the bar but that wasn't good either. All the pressing felt heavy but my arms (and everything else) are pretty beat from training last night. I have to remember to bring a sugary drink for between classes next time I do two in a row.

11. ssdd Purple Belt

4/21 10:30am grappling: drilled some set ups and takedowns, and an arm bar to triangle series. Rolled 3min rounds round robin. Maybe 5 or 6 rounds total.
    At 1130 we put on our gear and sparred boxing for a bunch of rounds 3min rounds for a half hour. Added in front leg sweeps to the punches the last few rounds.

The hamstring is holding up and I beleive is getting better. I foam rolled it and did some light RDLs with a 20lb dumbbell to get some blood flow into it yesterday. Will repeat again later.

12. TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

I have started doing these regularly and my shoulders feel much better for it.

13. ssdd Purple Belt

4/23
    7pm kickboxing: went through a few combinations on the heavy bag. Did some block and return partner sparring drills, working that front foot sweep. Sparred kickboxing a few rounds.

4/24
    7pm grappling: worked a flower sweep flow drill for a pretty long time, adding some shifted mount work onto it after a while. Did some easy, controlled rolling, trying to work different things and not rely on go-to moves.

8:15 kickboxing: shadow boxing warm up. ~8 3 min rounds hitting the heavy bag, various combos. 2 3min rounds at the end of 15s burpees, 15s half-burpees (the bottom half, leg thrust to crouch position), and 30s hyperextensions. Interesting choice of exercises today.

I had to work early on monday and Tuesday and haven't lifted since Saturday. Getting kind of disillusioned by the lifting (and just sucking at it) and trying to split priorities all the time. I guess having to lay off heavy(for me) squats and DLs until my hamstring heals kind of derailed my enthusiasm too. Still, it's feeling better and gaining ROM each day.

14. ssdd Purple Belt

4/25 kickboxing:
    Worked some sparring drills blocking or parrying and returning, throwing then making an angle. Sparred a few rounds pretty light

15. ssdd Purple Belt

4/26

7pm kickboxing:
    Bag training, almost the same as Wednesday, a little more intense, but I felt fresher this time.

8:15pm grappling: drilled the same stuff as Wednesday and rolled for around a half hour. Small class

TLDR content about planning my weekly training:
    I'm trying to approach my training with alternating intensity

-Tuesday light,
    -Wednesday intense,
    -Thursday light,
    -Friday intense,
    -Saturday should be light,
    -Sunday will be intense and will probably include sprints and such,
    -Monday might not be able to train if I have to work late otherwise it will be sparring

I'm thinking of lifting Monday and thursday morning even though that doesnt really fit in with my plan. Maybe if I did the bag training on tuesday and Thursday instead of Wednesday and Friday:

-Sunday instense grappling and kickboxing AM,
    -Monday Lift AM,
    -Tuesday intense kickboxing PM,
    -Wednesday grappling PM,
    -Thursday lift AM intense kickboxing PM,
    -Friday grappling PM,
    -Saturday light or off,

Tournament is June 2, I'm basically just going to focus on skills and conditioning. Don't have much time to build strength. I feel as conditioned as I did two weeks out from the last tournament but I'm at 5 weeks, good shit. Weight is 161lbs down from 167 2 weeks ago

Damn typing all that on an android phone was annoying. Why does it randomly jump to the beginning and insert words?

16. ssdd Purple Belt

4/28
    10:30am grappling: reviewed a lot of different material then rolled a bit. My neck/traps cramped up bad and are still hurting.
    Even with the neck cramped up, I still put on kickboxing gear and sparred round robin for like 15min straight with no rest between rounds, with some burnout bag drills thrown in there.

17. TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

What kind of tournament? And where at?

18. ssdd Purple Belt

It all started 2 weeks ago. I was awoken by the cry of a crow on my window sill. As I drew near, it flew off leaving an old envelope behind. Inside was a cryptic letter: "Call this number, be worthy." I called the number and an abrupt voice gave me an address and a time. When I went to the address later that night, I was approached by 2 men brandishing a chain, a machete, and a game pitbull. The machete armed man lurched forward and I side stepped his strike and touched him with teh jab directly on the chin. He immediately crumpled to the ground in a heap. I easily defeated the other man by using my animal spirit to turn the pitbull on him, which subsequently ran off after mauling its former master. Suddenly I picked up a faint whizzing sound from behind and turned to catch a flying arrow from the dark of night, just before it struck my back. Attached to it was a map of what appears to be a small Island in the Andaman sea and the date of June 2nd 2013. "Challenge White Lotus to become the One to defend Earthrealm and claim 50 years of immortality in Mortal Kombat".

Its the tiger schulmanns tournament in NJ. It's no gi submission grappling and full contact kickboxing (with no head shots) each match is 1 3min round.The kickboxing is super high paced, and is scored like a regular fight. Last year my ring ref was Uriah Hall. I want to do NAGA too in august, in Wildwood.

Last edited: May 4, 2013