Squatting

Can't see vids, buts its probably proving me wrong.

The title of the video is

"ATG Backsquat 231kg x8 reps"

Is that Clarence from the island of whisky and such? Has he competed recently ? Last I saw he was around 155/195 at sub 85. But that seems like a long time ago.

Something about exceptions, rules, and skrew you! :p

Lulz. Suck it, brah.

Srs: no reason to go black and white/full retard on issues like this one. Many weaklings hide behind "ATG" (tons of youtube videos to prove that). But ATG is different than just breaking parallel (greater knee ROM, greater bar path, greater total work done) and not everyone who squats or uses the term ATG is a pussy looking for excuses.

Clarence's squats are in fact ATG and uses the term to point to the distinction between same weight done with a just-breaking-parallel ROM. Nothing wrong with that.

Life is black and white. Greek philosophy is bullshit.

Stone-Cold-Steve-Austins-Not-Funny-Reaction-Gif.gif

Is that Clarence from the island of whisky and such? Has he competed recently ? Last I saw he was around 155/195 at sub 85. But that seems like a long time ago.

I thought I heard he got hurt, or something.

Today i learned labeling squats as "atg" means i'm a pussy.. :(

As for the paralysis by analysis thing. I know I was definitely there at one point. a couple months after I started, I was stuck at 210x5x3 (SS) for like a month straight. I kept trying to figure out what was going on, and I assumed it was a form issue. After 2 months of resetting weight, and trying to fix my form enough to get past this plateu. And nothin worked. And then finally I realized, I just wasn't pushing hard enough. As soon as I figured how to drive through the lift. My squats started shooting up again. :D

And then finally I realized, I just wasn't pushing hard enough. As soon as I figured how to drive through the lift. My squats started shooting up again. :D

That's a big piece of the puzzle missing from many people that can't seem to progress.

"I don't care how many fuckin' e-books you read. I don't give a shit."

George "babyslayer" Leeman. Check out his deadlift. crazy strong

His rants are pretty great. Allthough its hard to get if he's serious or being sarcastic at times.

ATG squatting is fine but using ATG as an excuse for low squat numbers is just that, an excuse.

Why is there always so much confusion and questioning about elbow positioning during the squat?

Step 1: Make your upper back as tight as possible.
Step 2: Place the bar where you would like.
Step 3: Unrack and walkout.
Step 4: Pull the bar down and try to bend it over your back.
Step 5: Go down.
Step 6: Come back up.

It's like some people want to get a protractor out and measure the angle their elbows are at.

I had no idea about step 4. That made a huge difference, although I feel like my ribs popped a little in the hole. Thanks cratos!

I can't even explain to most people how hard I work in the gym. I'm not a very good lifter, but I'll work as hard as the best ones to try and get better. My body is pretty used up, I don't sleep very well most nights. Fuck it. I get the work done I need to.

To be fair, you pretty clearly have genetics more favorable to strength training than many on here. I am not doubting you work hard, and not implying you have elite genetics. But given your progression in the amount of time it has taken, your body type and how it has 'filled out,' your bodies ability to respond to suboptimal sleep and nutrition habits, it is reasonably clear that your genetic expression is well above average in it's adaptation to strength training. Hard work isn't the only relevant factor in development, and it is important to acknowledge such.

Back