Squatting four times a week...

Essentially, it is switching between hot and cold water. The "contrast" between temperatures helps speed recovery time by improving circulation.

You can just switch it in the shower but a more effective method would be alternating a hot sauna with a cold shower or even an ice bath if you can tolerate it.

Obviously the normal things are going to be extra important to:

- warmup and cooldown in sessions
- sleep
- protein
- multi & fish oil
- maybe bit of glucosamine
- cutting out alcohol that'll fuck up your sleep quality

Most oly programs have you squatting (fs/bs) 3-4 times per week. The last program I was on had me back squatting twice a week and front squatting first in the base cycle and front squatting four times a week in the peaking cycle. You might have to get used to it, but all in all its not that much volume seeing that you are typically not doing high reps and not a lot of assistance. Also note that the reps should be performed fast, i.e. you shouldn't grind out a, say, back squat double - the reps should be controlled but fast.

I have been doing the Stronglifts.com 5x5 workout for 5 weeks and I have been squatting 3X a week and it doesn't seem hard on my body except I don't feel like doing any cardio on my off days which I would like to do.

I am wondering about sleep for recovery though. I have had trouble sleeping through the night for a few years now. I have heard people talk about ZMA or some other stuff. What is the best thing to take to get a good nights rest?

I am wondering about sleep for recovery though. I have had trouble sleeping through the night for a few years now. I have heard people talk about ZMA or some other stuff. What is the best thing to take to get a good nights rest?

Im far from an authority on diet and nutrition/supplements, but I'm very similar in that I find it difficult to get to sleep, and I find it difficult to stay asleep. So I thought I'd try some ZMA... turns out it made my sleep worse. This being said Iam on prescription medications, and they may have had some effect on it. The best thing I would say to do is just give a bottle a try, I think a months supply is something around 20 dollars at GNC - or do some research on other sleep aids in the Dieting & Supplements Forum

Im far from an authority on diet and nutrition/supplements, but I'm very similar in that I find it difficult to get to sleep, and I find it difficult to stay asleep. So I thought I'd try some ZMA... turns out it made my sleep worse. This being said Iam on prescription medications, and they may have had some effect on it. The best thing I would say to do is just give a bottle a try, I think a months supply is something around 20 dollars at GNC - or do some research on other sleep aids in the Dieting & Supplements Forum

Melatonin in bulk from Costco FTW

ZMA makes my sleep worse also. Melatonin seems to work really well though.

dang that sounds excessive

but if its working and your not in a stretcher . . .

Thats what I am doing also. My football coach put me on an Olympic routine and we squat 4 times a week. Mondays will be front squats, tuesday is pause squats, thursday is speed front squats, and friday is back squats. The rep scheme changes every week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back