squats & weird leg pain

mmaboog

Blue Belt
Reaction score
sherdog s&c,

i have started doing one of the routines provided in the FAQ and have been doing pretty well, making gains in all the big lifts. however i have been experiencing some weird pain at the tops of my legs, right where the leg meets the waist. it kinda feels more like a tendon than the quad, i know shit about anatomy so i dont really know for sure.

i have been going past parallel in my squat and have not really ever done that before. i used to just get close to parallel, probably never hitting it. could it be that the tendon or muscle up there is week and has not caught up with the rest of my legs? it does not really prevent me from knocking out the squats or anything, just curious as to what it might be.

thanks

You should be stretching your hip flexors. I get that same pain if I neglect stretching.

Yeah prob tight hip flexors. Stretch and foam roll or massage the area with a ball. Do some prone bridges before your workout to get your glutes working, doing that seemed to help transfer some strain off the hip flexors for me.

If you're going to stretch, don't do a lot of it (static that is) just prior to lifting. Do it afterwards or at a different time than when you train.

Pain... Put it on a 1-10 scale or something.

If it's on the low end you're probably just sore because you haven't been using your hips for anything tough before. It's not exactly muscles non-athletes give much of a workout.

If you sit down a lot throughout the day, that might be contributing to the possibly tight hip flexors.

Read through these. They should give you an idea of how to stretch and warm-up your hips.

7 Dynamic Stretches to Improve Your Hip Mobility | StrongLifts.com
The Only 6 Static Stretches You Should Really Do | StrongLifts.com

If you're going to stretch, don't do a lot of it (static that is) just prior to lifting. Do it afterwards or at a different time than when you train.

Unless you find that static stretching before lifting signifcantly reduces pain/tightness and enables you to lift better.

Unless you find that static stretching before lifting signifcantly reduces pain/tightness and enables you to lift better.

And other remedies such as dynamic stretching, jogging, cycling, rowing all fail to alleviate the pain/tightness.

Pain... Put it on a 1-10 scale or something.

If it's on the low end you're probably just sore because you haven't been using your hips for anything tough before. It's not exactly muscles non-athletes give much of a workout.

it's definitely on the low end, completely tolerable, just hurts a little. sounds like i need to stretch more.

This workout is for the military its all about loosening your hips/uses your body on a running day. Not exactly what your doing but the same goals. So IMO if your really tired just do the stretches (the exercises after the burpees are supposed to be done easy and smooth as a stretch) but IMO its a great end of workout exercise. The lunges/dollies should be done as well IMO they help you stretch out, the lunges by the time you finish if you do high knees and deliberately stretch you will be going significantly further the last one than you did the first (I do it in a room where I can do 10 the first set only have room for 8 at the end) But the more I think about it I think the exercises are intermixed to keep your heart rate up allowing for better stretching. Doing this straight through btw without any rest sucks after a workout. Is this ideal? No but it should make you think and perhaps come up with your own ideal way to finish working out. Sounds like you need to do something at the end. If this doesn't work. I suggest windsprints and yoga. Both due to being full range activities.

1. 30 Push-ups
2. 30 Air squats
3. 30 Crunches
4. 10 Burpees
5. 10 Windmills
6. 30 Push-ups
7. 30 Mountain climbers
8. 30 Flutter kicks
9. 10 Burpees
10. 10 Cherry pickers (4-count)
11. 30 Push-ups
12. 30 Star jumpers (or jumping jacks)
13. 30 Back Extensions ("supermans")
14. 10 Burpees
15. 10 Chain breakers
16. 30 Push-ups
17. 30 Lunges
18. 30 Hello dollies
19. 10 Burpees
20. 10 Trunk twists
21. 3 Max sets of dead-hang pull-ups or flexed-arm hangs

Tosa, those two links might prove to be the best two links I've ever gotten on here (sumo deadlift high pulls will probably win out so #2 and #3 slot) thanks I just learned a ton. I already did almost all of them, never got told to just found it worked. a couple I just did, shoulder stopped hurting.

Last edited:
Along with stretching, try a slightly narrower stance. I get the same pain occasionally, and I've noticed it normally occurs when I squat a little wider than normal.

I tend to get that same hip flexor pain if I don't sit back enough into my squats.

Back