Squats help bench press #s?

Sorry, but that could be said of any exercise, not just the squat.

Effectively true, but what exercise recruits more muscle tissue? A squat or a wrist curl?

Of course the answer is the squat so therefore you squat, recruit more overall muscle tissue, create more testosterone and get bigger, stronger and faster.

This coming from a strength and power bafoon.

You can take all the vitamins and protein in the world and have a crap Wilks score if you know what that means.

Hahaha my numbers have been posted here. Ask fatkid or Barut who did their first personalized program. Jesus you really are just dumb.

You don't understand nutritional physiology and the exercise induced responses, yet know them for lifting hmmmmmm. I bench over 400 and can pull 600 and I weigh 185, any other bS:icon_lol:

Acute hormonal responses to heavy resistance exercise in younger and older men.

Kraemer WJ, Hakkinen K, Newton RU, McCormick M, Nindl BC, Volek JS, Gotshalk LA, Fleck SJ, Campbell WW, Gordon SE, Farrell PA, Evans WJ.

Noll Physiological Research Center and Laboratory for Sports Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA.

The purpose of this investigation was to examine the acute responses of several hormones [total and free testosterone (TT and FT, respectively), adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), cortisol (C), growth hormone (GH), and insulin (INS)] to a single bout of heavy resistance exercise (HRE). Eight younger [30-year (30y) group] and nine older [62-year (62y) group] men matched for general physical characteristics and activity levels performed four sets of ten repetitions maximum (RM) squats with 90 s rest between sets. Blood samples were obtained from each subject via an indwelling cannula with a saline lock pre-exercise, immediately post-exercise (IP), and 5, 15 and 30 min post-exercise. Levels of TT, FT, ACTH, C and lactate significantly increased after HRE for both groups. Pre-HRE pairwise differences between groups were noted only for FT, while post-HRE pairwise differences were found for TT, FT, GH, glucose and lactate. Area under the curve analysis showed that the 30y group had a significantly higher magnitude of increase over the entire recovery period (IP, 5, 15, and 30 min post-exercise) for TT, FT, ACTH and GH. Few changes occurred in the INS response with the only change being that the 62y group demonstrated a decrease IP. Lactate remained elevated at 30 min post-HRE. This investigation demonstrates that age-related differences occur in the endocrine response to HRE, and the most striking changes appear evident in the FT response to HRE in physically active young and older men.

Hormonal responses to high- and moderate-intensity strength exercise.

Raastad T, Bjoro T, Hallen J.

The Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education, Oslo. [email protected]

The hormonal responses of nine male, strength athletes to strength exercise were examined. The athletes performed one moderate- and one high-intensity strength exercise workout. In the high-intensity workout, the load was 100% of each subject's three-repetition maximum (3-RM) for squats and front squats, and 100% of each subject's six-repetition maximum (6-RM) for leg extensions. In the moderate-intensity workout, the load was 70% of the high-intensity protocol. Rest periods between sets were 4-6 min for both workouts. Blood samples were taken before, 30 min into, and every 15 min for the 1st h after exercise, and then 3, 7, 11, 22 and 33 h after exercise, thus allowing examination of both the acute and prolonged hormonal responses. Blood samples were analyzed for testosterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), cortisol, adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH), growth hormone (GH), insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), insulin, sex hormone binding globulin, creatine kinase, total protein, glucose and lactate. The acute responses of testosterone and cortisol were greater during the high-intensity protocol as compared to the moderate-intensity protocol. The cortisol response was associated with an increase in ACTH concentration. LH and FSH showed no response to either protocol. Acute GH responses were not different between protocols. There were great inter-individual differences in acute GH responses to both protocols. There were no significant differences between protocols with regard to prolonged responses for any hormone. In both trials, IGF-1 concentrations were significantly lower at 0800 hours the morning after exercise as compared to concentrations found at 0800 hours the morning before exercise. The mechanisms responsible for reducing IGF-1 concentration in these trials are unclear, and it is not known if this reduction observed 22 hours after exercise is of physiological significance.

Hormonal responses of multiset versus single-set heavy-resistance exercise protocols.

Gotshalk LA, Loebel CC, Nindl BC, Putukian M, Sebastianelli WJ, Newton RU, Hakkinen K, Kraemer WJ.

Center for Sports Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA.

The purpose of this study was to compare serum growth hormone (GH), testosterone (T), cortisol (C), and whole blood lactate (L) responses to single set (1S) versus multiple set (3S) heavy-resistance exercise protocols. Eight recreationally weight-trained men completed two identical resistance exercise workouts (1S vs. 3S). Blood was obtained preexercise (PRE), immediately postexercise (OP), and 5 min (5P), 15 min (15P), 30 min (30P) and 60 min (60P) postexercise and was analyzed for GH, T, C, and L levels. For 1S and 3S, GH, L, and T significantly increased from PRE to OP and remained significantly elevated to 60P, except for 1S. For GH, T, and L, 3S showed significantly greater increases compared to 1S. For C, 3S and 1S were increased significantly from resting at OP, 5P, and 15P; 3S increased compared to 1S at 5P, 15P and 30P. Higher volumes of total work produce significantly greater increases in circulating anabolic hormones during the recovery phase following exercise.

Once again, Its high intensity resistant traning of any kind, not just squats and deadlifts

Nobody said isolation exercises are better. What was said is "doing squats and deadlidts make you big" and the fact of the matter is they don't unless you do them in a way that targets hypertophy. I could do squats and deadlifts all the time geared for strength and I won't grow that much. SO once again, its the way its done, not just the exercise.

Plus, having a squat and/or deadlift that increases evey week doens't mean your growing optimally. Its two completely different types of training.

Doesn't matter much when studies like this show it to be short term

Short-term growth hormone treatment does not increase muscle protein synthesis in experienced weight lifters.

Yarasheski KE, Zachweija JJ, Angelopoulos TJ, Bier DM.

****bolism Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether recombinant human growth hormone (GH) administration enhances muscle protein anabolism in experienced weight lifters. The fractional rate of skeletal muscle protein synthesis and the whole body rate of protein breakdown were determined during a constant intravenous infusion of [13C]leucine in 7 young (23 +/- 2 yr; 86.2 +/- 4.6 kg) healthy experienced male weight lifters before and at the end of 14 days of subcutaneous GH administration (40 microgram.kg-1 x day-1). GH administration increased fasting serum insulin-like growth factor-I (from 224 +/- 20 to 589 +/- 80 ng/ml, P = 0.002) but did not increase the fractional rate of muscle protein synthesis (from 0.034 +/- 0.004 to 0.034 +/- 0.002%/h) or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown (from 103 +/- 4 to 108 +/- 5 mumol.kg-1 x h-1). These findings suggest that short-term GH treatment does not increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown, ****bolic alterations that would promote muscle protein anabolism in experienced weight lifters attempting to further increase muscle mass.

Effect of growth hormone and resistance exercise on muscle growth in young men.

Yarasheski KE, Campbell JA, Smith K, Rennie MJ, Holloszy JO, Bier DM.

Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether growth hormone (GH) administration enhances the muscle anabolism associated with heavy-resistance exercise. Sixteen men (21-34 yr) were assigned randomly to a resistance training plus GH group (n = 7) or to a resistance training plus placebo group (n = 9). For 12 wk, both groups trained all major muscle groups in an identical fashion while receiving 40 micrograms recombinant human GH.kg-1.day-1 or placebo. Fat-free mass (FFM) and total body water increased (P less than 0.05) in both groups but more (P less than 0.01) in the GH recipients. Whole body protein synthesis rate increased more (P less than 0.03), and whole body protein balance was greater (P = 0.01) in the GH-treated group, but quadriceps muscle protein synthesis rate, torso and limb circumferences, and muscle strength did not increase more in the GH-treated group. In the young men studied, resistance exercise with or without GH resulted in similar increments in muscle size, strength, and muscle protein synthesis, indicating that 1) the larger increase in FFM with GH treatment was probably due to an increase in lean tissue other than skeletal muscle and 2) resistance training supplemented with GH did not further enhance muscle anabolism and function.

This thread isn't about size gains, or so I thought.

I don't think the debate was size training vs strength training either. Most understand that you get what you train for if you do it correctly.

What I took away from those studies was that the higher the intensity of the session, the greater the effect of the hormonal changes.

So that makes me think back to squats and deadlifts because few if any lifts are more intense than those two.

I wonder if it would be possible to make an "intensity" rating of some sort for lifts. It would vary on the person as a guy with a 405 1RM bench would feel BP as more intense if his back squat 1RM was 315.

What I'm trying to say is that for "intensity" would rack pulls or maximally heavy shrugs possibly be the most intense due to the amount of weight involved? But work is a function of distance so...

In the end, I don't see why people need more reasons to SQ and DL as they are basically vital to life.

I heard somewhere that doing squats helps your bench press numbers. Or rather that working out the entire body increases how fast you build muscle by "evening it out". I'm not sure if this is true, can anybody clarify or am I just off my rocker :icon_neut

Squats and Deadlifts will make you strong all over. When I added them to my routine, I gained nearly 10 pounds in less than a month.

Also, it allows your body to handle larger loads via nervous system overload. Squats and Deads are taxing to the nervous system and will allow all other lifts to progress just from training the nervous system.

How to gain muscle mass over the summer with 20 rep squats

platz2.jpg

"Tom Platz did high rep squatting as a regular part of his workout routine.
Not only did he have huge legs, but he was huge and thick all over."

Platz was nicknamed "The Golden Eagle" Paul Demayo was given the nickname "Quadilla"

Barut may have lived in Provo aka "Happy Valley" for a while, but he's no rat hahaha

Back