Squats and Running

MongoMudd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am currently going very heavy with my squats and getting some really nice gains in power. The problem I am having is that the soreness/fatigue in my legs are inhibiting my conditioning training. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to combat this problem.

A little info....I am squatting once a week and I am sore for about 3-4 days afterward, 2-3 of which there is no chance I can run. That leaves me only 3-4 days a week to run, which normally would be enough but I have a track background and I am used to running everyday. I am getting plenty of rest and protein so that shouldn't be an issue. I am stretching before and after so that shouldn't be a problem either. I have considered conditioning in other ways, but I make the best strides when running so I would really like to be able to keep running. I have been squatting for a long time now, but have recently started going heavier.

I'm not sure if there is anything I can do other than run less or squat less, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks everybody....

If you click on the search function and type in things like, 'Active Recovery' and 'Alternate Water Therapy' then you find that there are some pretty good threads about this type of issue floating about. Also, head over to the D+S forum and read the FAQ - there is a lot of good info there.

how long have you been squatting? You shouldnt be sore for 3-4 days after unless your diet is shit and you dont sleep enough. Seriously, more than two days and something is wrong.

Try taking beta alanine, I find that it helps me by reducing soreness a lot and decreasing recovery time as well.

I squat and run.
Usually if I run the day after a squat day, my legs feel extremely heavy and sore. So I'll do a long slow jog.

I can't imagine being sore 3-4 days later though. Maybe a little bit, but not enough to stop me from running.

Try some contrast showers, stretching more before and after lifting, get more rest.

Something doesn't seem right.

I agree with what others have said about being sore for 3-4 days being something to look at. I can't imagine that your diet is sufficient. Are you doing the following:

- Eating very 2-3 hours
- Eating a complete protein with every meal
- Eating fruits and veggies with every meal
- Eating healthy fats
- Supplementing with Creatine Monohydrate and/or Beta Alanine
- Eating a combination of carbs and protein immediately post workout
- Eating enough --> this is a biggie if you're lifting heavy

That's just a sample of what I do. I still get sore but no longer than two days.

If you just started squatting within the last few weeks that is probably why. You will get used to it after a while and it shouldnt be an issue.

If you just started squatting within the last few weeks that is probably why. You will get used to it after a while and it shouldnt be an issue.

Or he could be doing or not doing something that needs to be fixed...

I'd suggest swimming. More effective form of cardio with less potential for joint damage in the long run.

Just fight through the pain and run anyway, gay-wafer.

I agree with what others have said about being sore for 3-4 days being something to look at. I can't imagine that your diet is sufficient. Are you doing the following:

- Eating very 2-3 hours
- Eating a complete protein with every meal
- Eating fruits and veggies with every meal
- Eating healthy fats
- Supplementing with Creatine Monohydrate and/or Beta Alanine
- Eating a combination of carbs and protein immediately post workout
- Eating enough --> this is a biggie if you're lifting heavy

That's just a sample of what I do. I still get sore but no longer than two days.

I am doing all of the above EXCEPT I have only recently started using BA and I may not be Eating enough. I'll up calories and see if that helps. I have been squating for years now and have always been sore for several days afterwards. 3-4 days doesn't seem unreasonable. Most powerlifters that I know only lift 3 days per week because it takes them the rest to recover. When I lift lighter I recover faster but I am doing low reps and very heavy weight.

Eat, sleep, stretch well. And, sometimes, you just have to suck it up and do it.

I think this is probably the reason, when you change something in your routine (in this case begin lifting heavy) you tend to get DOMS a lot worse for about 4 weeks (sometimes more sometimes less) until your body gets used to the training. When I first started squatting heavy I basically couldn't walk the next day and was sore for about 4 days too, but it got better. Everyone's different though. You probably know best which one of everyone's opinions is most right.

Three to four days...it all depends on how many sets / reps you are doing. I over did it on Friday and I'm still pretty damned sore...I probally did fifteen sets of squats all together...about an equal number of heavy then seven or eight sets of dynamic (with bands).

I also like to run. I run on the trail because its easier on my joints and I find that I have fewer overall injuries.

If I am too sore tomorrow I will probally just go out and put some miles on the bike. That way I get my cardio in and have much less risk of overuse injury. It seems with the squatting I can bike more and I get a better recovery out of it but if I run Its just like I am using or rather over using the same muscle groups. So I totally see where you are coming from.

Swimming is good as well but I find it boring. I like it to pull the lactic acid off of my mms post wk out.

I just play it by ear.

Back