Squats affecting my SOHP?

manic_mailman

White Belt
Reaction score
So I am on the Press/Pull/Squat routine, and as of late, I've been really busy, so I've basically switched over to a 2 day split, and am now doing Bench/Squat/SOHP on my Press day. What's weird though, is that I am now doing about 10lbs less on my SOHP then when I just did Bench/SOHP.

So my question is if Squatting in between my Bench and SOHP affects my performance on the SOHP . . . intuitively, it shouldn't, but it is right now, and it really sucks.

My guess is you're just tired after doing the squats. Perhaps doing squats last would help.

^ Agree. And/or drink a bunch of Gatorade while you lift.

I'm also thinking that doing bench press on the same day as SOHP will make your SOHP weaker if you're doing that after bench press.

if you are on a 2 day split, the 5x5 template is a much better choice

I'm finding more and more that pressing and squatting are
linked to one another in strange ways. I have the same kind of results when I do press and squat days together.
I often feel myself pushing through my legs to my feet when benching. Maybe that's the link?

I would think that benching would have a lot more of an effect.

I agree with whoever said the 5x5 template.

maybe

bench
squat
BOR

on day one
day two

SOHP
Deadlift
(lighter squat if you want)
Pull ups

I do:

-Weighted Pullups
- Squats
- SOHP

and never had a problem with this. OF course you are more tired towards the end of the workout - but it can't all be done first.

I agree with whoever said the 5x5 template.

maybe

bench
squat
BOR

on day one
day two

SOHP
Deadlift
(lighter squat if you want)
Pull ups

I made steady gains usin' this kind of a split for quite awhile, and will prolly go back to it after the summer.

Edit: I always do squats and DL first tho.

^^ im curious to what you do on the other days if u were strictly lifting weight and not training anythign else....say u do a two day split like that on monday and a wednesday....wouldnt u feel like lifting at all the next 4 days?

^^ im curious to what you do on the other days if u were strictly lifting weight and not training anythign else....say u do a two day split like that on monday and a wednesday....wouldnt u feel like lifting at all the next 4 days?

A two day split is used primarily for those who can only train two days a week due to other commitments jobs, family, etc.. Or those training in other facets for example martial arts.

Ideally to make the best gains you should probably lift more than two days a week atleast from my experience.. some people are different.

So today was my pull day, and I decided to do SOHP, Deadlifts, then Bent-Over Rows (in that order), and I was able to press my 1RM 5 times (!!!). I guess I'll stick to this from now on . . . thanks for the help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back