Squat/Squat Variant Technique

Espo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am retraining my body to descend hips first rather than knees first thanks to the helpful insight you all gave me about a week ago. As for the variants, what is proper technique? I was doing Zerchers yesterday and I was breaking at the hips first, is this correct? I did overhead squats a couple of days ago and I had to break at the knees because the load has to be almost overhead. How about bodyweight/prison squats, do I break at the knees or hips when there is no load? All of this being said I have always broke into the descent at the knees and I go ass to grass. I have never had knee problems, nor do I want any. Any advice will be helpful.

I watched myself doing squats today, and I just naturally break at the hips first. I never even focused on doing that. I always just focused on maintaining a tight, straight lower back but keeping my chest behind my knees. Look up at the ceiling when you come out. All in all, for a 6'5" guy, my squat form is pretty good. But I'm gonna crunch some time with Jeff, a CSCS (or PT) at our main gym and a competitive powerlifter to boot. That boy is strong.

Sorry I couldn't be of help. But this needed to go ttt anyway.

Can I ask a side question:
I'm not overly sure about my squatting technique and I keep meaning to record it and get it hosted so people on here can evaluate, but if I've been squatting for 2 years, haven't damaged anything and at 1.8 times for 5's bw at this time, would it be taken that the technique is fine, or that I'm just lucky so far?

Sorry, not trying to hijack espo.

Ian1983 said:
Can I ask a side question:
I'm not overly sure about my squatting technique and I keep meaning to record it and get it hosted so people on here can evaluate, but if I've been squatting for 2 years, haven't damaged anything and at 1.8 times for 5's bw at this time, would it be taken that the technique is fine, or that I'm just lucky so far?

Sorry, not trying to hijack espo.

Guys have gotten away with bad form for longer than that. I'd still have it checked out.

My biggest problem is my knees dipping in when I come out of the hole. But I'm doing mostly single-legs right now, so I should correct that.

Madmick said:
Guys have gotten away with bad form for longer than that. I'd still have it checked out.

doh

Back