Squat Replacement

lanp3960

White Belt
Reaction score
I know the squat is one of, if not the best, exercises you can do, but here's my issue--I have limited range of motion in my left shoulder and physically cannot reach behind my shoulder to grab the bar. Because of this, I cannot balance the bar or feel comfortable even on a rack.

So, aside from just holding up dumbells, which is really difficult if I want to squat any real weight, what are my options for a replacement?

I know the squat is one of, if not the best, exercises you can do, but here's my issue--I have limited range of motion in my left shoulder and physically cannot reach behind my shoulder to grab the bar. Because of this, I cannot balance the bar or feel comfortable even on a rack.

So, aside from just holding up dumbells, which is really difficult if I want to squat any real weight, what are my options for a replacement?

Thank you for opting not to use squat "alternatives" (as if there were such a thing) despite your limiting injury. Here is a link to a very helpful squatting device that takes your shoulders/back completely out of the lift. Enjoy.

Super Squats Hip Belt for squats, dips, chins - IronMind-Ironmind Enterprises

EDIT: Didn't realize that you aren't injured. Go stretch, brah.

Last edited:
Front squats (clean grip if you can, or crossed over grip), zercher squats, you can also look at safety bar squats if your gym has a safety bar or you could look into buying a front squat harness (FrontSquatHarness.com)

+1 on needing to stretch. Try shoulder dislocations using a broomstick or a jump-stretch band:

Unless there is an actual medical reason for your limited ROM then I'd say work on that.

You never reach behind your back to grab the bar, you hold the bar then duck under and get into position...

Zercher and front squats, just like these guys are suggesting.

To be clear, are you injured or just lacking the flexability?

Why do you have limited ROM in your shoulder?

Sorry, I didn't clarify why the limited ROM. When I was younger I seperated my shoulder a few times playing football, and then about a year ago tore a ligament grappling--didn't tap early enough on a kimura. It didn't heal right.

What I meant by reaching behind my back is this, bear with me--where you grab the bar on your shoulders to stabilize, your hands are slightly behind your head. With my shoulder, I can only get my left hand to about my jaw line, if that makes sense.

Would it make any difference if you used a signifcantly wider grip?

i sprained my thumb and wrist recently and i still squat... so idk dude i think theres a way you just have to find what works for you

High bar, wide grip.

If that doesn't workout then just front squat.

Use a safety squat bar.

His gym may not have one available. However, you can buy the Top Squat which you can carry with you in your gym to the gym to use there. It costs $180, but I would buy it if you really can't ever regain your mobility.

Dave Draper's Top Squat

But I would try shoulder dislocations and other stretches first. If you stretch for a half hour or so every day and don't see even minor results in a few weeks, then I would think about getting the Top Squat.

I got the Top Squat from Dave Draper. Not as good as the safety squat bar but a whole lot cheaper. But then again the Top Squat is a nice change of pace. You use more quads and lower back and less weight. It gives the hips a break for awhile when one has been doing a lot of back squating.

+1 more for Zercher squats, front squats, and stretching 'til you regain your mobility enough to back squat.

Back