Squat Question

StevenH

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't done squats in a very long time. I used to when I was younger, but I have just got back into doing them now. I noticed something funny though when I was doing them, and was wondering if this is normal. I'm starting with light weight and high rep to get my form correct, so I'm only doing 155 which isn't too heavy (its more than I weigh, but hockey gave me pretty strong legs :) ). I noticed that when I do them, the weight of the bar stings where it sits. It's nothing unbearable, and I can easily work through it but I want to just make sure that it's normal to feel that bit of pain there. I had sore shoulders, traps, and neck from the workout the day before, so is that another reason why I might have felt the pain? It gets pretty annoying because I really want to workout with a lot more weight, but I'm worried that it may be possible that the little pain I feel now may turn out to be a large problem when I start actually putting some decent weight on. Hopefully it's just something I have to get used to, and if it is, it's totally fine because the pain isn't what worries me, its the unnecessary damage that I may put on my body because I didn't correct whatever I was doing wrong from day one. Thanks in advance for the help :)

there is a pad, but its garbage and it's the school's equipment and that's all they have.. its a pretty shit gym it just has the basics and nothing else, which isn't a problem for me so much but I know it is for other people.

Buy your own. They're not expensive.

You should be making a rigid "shelf" with your upper-back, and at that weight, it shouldn't be hurting that much.

Assuming you know how to squat correctly, and you want to keep squatting, and the pain is bothersome, spend the $20-$50 and get a pad you like.

Are you positioning the bar correctly based on the type of squat you want to do? Make sure your back is tight, pulling the shoulders back might help. Get a video of your squat form from the side and back to see if there are any issues to take care of, you probably aren't aware of whatever mistakes you might be making.

Also if you are doing cleans/snatches or deadlifts or variations on these, then your upper back should get strong enough to the point where the pain isn't distracting. Obviously you are going to feel a heavy weight on your back, but it shouldn't stop you from moving forward with your lifting.

It's not really stopping me from moving forward, I just want to make sure that if I increase the weight I'm not going to be killing myself. I'm guessing I just gotta work on my form a lot more, and I'll start getting my coach at school to watch me more to correct my form, because I'm guessing its because I'm not squeezing my back tight enough (I hardly squeezed it at all). It would take a lot of convincing for my parents to let me buy my own power rack because I've spent so much money lately, but I guess if its between buying a new phone or a new power rack to work out at home more, I'm getting the power rack lol. BTW I'm 15 so yes I need my parents permission to buy stuff, it sucks :(

If the bar is resting properly either on top of your traps, or between the traps and posterior delts, then it's not a problem. It will become more comfortable as you get used to it and develop some mass on your upper back. Focusing extra on upper back tightness may help.

Do not use a pad. You want the weight to be as stable as possible, and putting a movable foam pad between you and the bar is the opposite of this. You'll never see anyone knowledgable and/or with a good squat use one.

It's not really stopping me from moving forward, I just want to make sure that if I increase the weight I'm not going to be killing myself.

As you increase the weight on the squat, you should also be increasing the weight on your deadlift, which should be helping you put slabs of muscle in the places where you rest the bar. Don't sweat this - you'll adjust to it, and as the weight goes up, it's comfort on your back will be the least of your problems.

Haha, don't get a pad.

Rest the bar on your traps, it'll take a couple of sessions to figure out the sweet spot, it'll stop hurting. Or just squat low bar.

It could also be that you don't have enough muscle on your shoulders to support the weight. I don't mean that as an insult it's just you're only 15 and 155 lb so you're probably pretty skinny still. In the short term you could try squatting with a hoodie on (or a second t-shirt) to give a little bit of extra padding. You might find that once you put on a bit of mass it will stop hurting.

In the meantime though a video or picture of your bar placement might help.

Watch this squat rx video. It explains bar positioning. In fact, watch all of the squat rx videos.

alright thanks a lot for the help so far guys. I'll definitely be checking my form and maybe even when I get more comfortable with the lift try without the pad, but for now with the lighter weights I think I'll use it for a little longer. As long as it is something that I gotta get used to and something minor to fix, it's alright with me.

EDIT: alright, so I'll probably stop using the pad for now, and I know I was definitely not squeezing my shoulder blades together, so I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it helps any. From the video, it looks like putting it there would make the bar feel like its gonna fall off of you, is that almost what it feels like at first until you get comfortable with the movement? Obviously it's secure, but it looks like it might not feel it at first. And btw thanks for the video it should help a lot

Last edited:
Don't use the bar tampon, your body will adapt quickly. Just make sure you are using proper technique. Your shoulder blades should be pulled together and tight. Keep your elbows under the bar or at least try to drive them forward so they are under the bar. Take as narrow a grip as your shoulder flexibility will allow. I would recommend buying Starting Strength if only for the detailed instructions on how to perform some of the most basic lifts, squat included.

Do not use a pad. You want the weight to be as stable as possible, and putting a movable foam pad between you and the bar is the opposite of this. You'll never see anyone knowledgable and/or with a good squat use one.

Next time you should do a little research before you spout off blanket statements like this.

Next time you should do a little research before you spout off blanket statements like this.

images

murdock can't possibly be serious.

It could also be that you don't have enough muscle on your shoulders to support the weight. I don't mean that as an insult it's just you're only 15 and 155 lb so you're probably pretty skinny still. In the short term you could try squatting with a hoodie on (or a second t-shirt) to give a little bit of extra padding. You might find that once you put on a bit of mass it will stop hurting.

In the meantime though a video or picture of your bar placement might help.

This is definitely something to consider.

TS, are you doing plenty of upper-back work, ie. shrugs, power cleans, bent-over rows? Are you eating enough quality food to put on mass?

Also, as someone else said, play around with bar placement, using just an empty barbell. While you're at it, play around with hand placement as well. The closer your hands are, the more your shoulder blades will pinch together -- that can help.

Oh, man.

The "Six Million Dollar Man" sound effects on the first rep are a nice touch.

For extra lulz, click on the video as it plays to open the full YouTube page, then read the comments. Brutal. As they should be.

This is definitely something to consider.

TS, are you doing plenty of upper-back work, ie. shrugs, power cleans, bent-over rows? Are you eating enough quality food to put on mass?

Also, as someone else said, play around with bar placement, using just an empty barbell. While you're at it, play around with hand placement as well. The closer your hands are, the more your shoulder blades will pinch together -- that can help.

I will try to, but It's highly unlikely because I work out during one of my periods at school, and my teacher is pretty strict about anything electronic so I'll see if he'll make the exception for letting me video tape so he, as well as you guys, can see my form. I have not done enough upper back work which I think may be a problem... all I've really done for back work are chin ups, which don't develop the upper back muscles properly from what I've learned now :p

Back