squat question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by maravillin, Sep 29, 2010.

1. maravillin

maravillin Blue Belt

Is it acceptable to widen my stance in order to get deeper into my squat? i dont have mirrors around so i just kinda eye fuck my self to a lil bit over shoulder width but i sometimes lose balance. would it be acceptable for me to widen my stance a bit and point my toes in more of 45 degree angle?

2. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

Yes. The powerlifting style squat is with a wide stance, and it involves more work from the posterior chain. I have long legs, so I squat with a wider stance, definitely farther than shoulder width apart.

3. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Of course it's acceptable do what is comfortable for you, its about finding your optimal power developing position to lift the most weight possible on your frame. If a wider stance provides more stability and a better feel of the weight for you do it. Plus as stated before this is a power lifters type squat stance, so it perfectly legit to do.

4. maravillin

maravillin Blue Belt

thanks!

5. rckvl

rckvl Blue Belt

A wider stance will make it harder to get deeper, not easier. It's acceptable to widen your stance, but if you are doing so to try to get deeper you are moving your feet the wrong way.

6. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

If you want to get deeper in the hole without widening your stance, try externally rotating your hips outwards (one cue is to 'push your knees out') and sit in between your legs.

7. Vortex177

Vortex177 White Belt

Totally acceptable. Different stances just have slightly different training effects. You are likely to get more glute / hamstring recruitment with a wider stance.

8. flak

flak Guest

Wide-stancers, unite!

[​IMG]

9. TwoFour Lowkick

TwoFour Lowkick Orange Belt

Epic.

10. HH

HH Fighting The Dork

For me the wider stance suits better for deep squatting.

11. rckvl

rckvl Blue Belt

Could you two explain this? I understand that depending on specific build people will be more efficient with different stances, but I was under the impression that a wider stance will be harder to get as deep. As I understand it a wider stance effectively shortens the length of the femur which will make it physically impossible to get as deep with a wide stance. Not only that it requires great flexibility of the hips to get below parallel with a wide stance.

12. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

You actually need a relatively wide stance to hit the bottom with a straight back, so I'm not so sure about what rckvl is saying.

13. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

I think you're confusing "straight" with "upright".

Additionally especially wide stance squats are something you generally see with heavily equipped lifters. For example, at the gym I go to, everyone lifts either raw or single ply, and you don't see any super wide squats, the inside of the feet might be a few inches wider than hip width at most.

14. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

I actually just meant good posture, as in "not bent". I wasn't talking about superwide sumo-like squats either. Just that it takes some width to be able to hit the bottom without removing your weight from your heels. Nothing crazy, but absolutely wider than what many with a narrow squat does. I assumed the thread starter was in the narrow squatting category since he included the question about whether it was okay to get closer to a 45 degree foot angle. He must either have been using a pretty narrow squat or been less than nice to his knees in the squat.